Fan Clubs (beta)

Nintendo DS - Lite!

wyndorf

After weeks of rumor and speculation, Nintendo today finally revealed its expected redesign of the Nintendo DS handheld system. Called the DS Lite, this new design will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006 and cost 16,800 yen (about 140 bucks US.) The redesign retains all the functionality of the standard DS, but makes things smaller, lighter and brighter.

The modified dual screen handheld has been tweaked into a smaller chassis. The new unit measures up to 133 mm wide by 73.9 mm tall by 21.5 thick. (that's compared to 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.99 mm in the original.) DS Lite weighs 218g, compared to the 275 g of the original.

DS Lite's biggest new technical feature is its updated set of backlit LCD screens. The system is brighter overall, and will give the user the ability to select from four different levels of brightness for viewing and/or battery consumption. A few other cosmetic changes were made to the new DS Lite -- there's a new hinge design, the power light was put on the left side of the hinge and is visible while the clamshell is closed, the mic is moved to top/center while the speakers are more centered, the Select and Start buttons are set on the bottom instead of top, and the power button is no longer on the front, and all of the dark button colors are changed to whites and grays. The cute DS logo is also placed on the front. Basic functionality, otherwise, looks to be identical to the original DS.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3721/dslite4go.jpg

Looks pretty. I can only assume we'll not see it officially until Christmas. I'll shall be importing the day it hits Japan. :jump

You can never have too many DS's.

Guest Anime Otaku
Me want' date=' me waaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnt[/quote']

Me too. Any news on when it will be out here or do DS' have multiple languages for the menus built in?

Me too. Any news on when it will be out here or do DS' have multiple languages for the menus built in?

My DS is Japanese, when I got it all the menus and such where in Japanese, luckily Lik-Sang put some instructions on how to change the language and stuff. Long story short, Yes. English, German, Spanish, Italian, French and Japanese are all built in and you can change between them at will.

It's also completely region free.

I assume, none of this will change with the Lite.

Guest Anime Otaku
What about powerand plugs wise, do you need aything like a converter or one of those things you get that allow you to plug a 2 prong plug into a 3 prong one?

What about powerand plugs wise' date=' do you need aything like a converter or one of those things you get that allow you to plug a 2 prong plug into a 3 prong one?[/quote']

I've always used my GBA charger to charge my DS, it's exactly the same a one you would get packed with a PAL DS (My GBA being PAL obviously). If you haven't got a GBA charger, you can, as Christof said, just buy a PAL charger on it's own (I'm sure Nintendo do sell them seperate, but MadCatz or Joytech failing Ninty.) Shouldn't set you back more than a fiver.

Guest Clarkey
I never did get a DS so this is very tempting and would definately be importing. According to Lik-Sang they get their stock the 2nd March. Edited by Clarkey

This is very temping now, I have all of the roms for this DS, all I would need is a flash linker and I'm sorted. The slimline one looks really pretty, I want it, so I will get it.

Guest Anime Otaku
I was looking at liksang and was wondering if either the 110 or 220v machines work out the box with their charger or if I'd need to buy one from liksang as they have one for the UK that is a fiver. Dunno if I want the lite or get a black or red normal one.

Guest Christof
Christof will also think out loud for one post. I don't know if I want to drink some Diet Coke with Lemon or Diet Coke with Lime later. Perhaps I'll put both in the fridge and see where my mood takes me

Christof will also think out loud for one post. I don't know if I want to drink some Diet Coke with Lemon or Diet Coke with Lime later. Perhaps I'll put both in the fridge and see where my mood takes me

Always playing the odds. ;)