Kid 'beaten up' at wrestling school, Austin Aries present

Guest Danny Styles

Who's lying?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who's lying?

• The wrestlers are guilty
    • The kid is full of rubbish

Guest Danny Styles
Waukesha - A Milwaukee mother wants a group of professional wrestlers charged with battery, saying her 17-year-old son, who went to a wrestling camp, met a nationally known competitor and came away so battered and bruised she took him to a hospital emergency room.

"You could still see the handprints on his chest the next day," said Deborah Reuteler-Smith.

Reuteler-Smith said her son, Versailles Smith, was a huge wrestling fan. When he learned about an area training session, he asked his mom if he could go. She drove him to the event Friday at AMF Lanes in Waukesha.

After paying his $75 fee, she left to take her other children to a nearby Chuck E. Cheese.

In an interview Wednesday, Reuteler-Smith said that in the first few hours, Smith was shown some wrestling moves and met wrestler Austin Aries. But toward the end of the five-hour session, Smith later told his mother, he sensed something bad was going to happen.

Smith tried to leave by making an excuse that he had to use the restroom, but a wrestler followed him and forced him back into the ring, she said. Some of the dozen professional wrestlers present took off the boy's shirt and held his hands behind his back while they took turns beating him on his chest as part of an "initiation," she said.

Smith told his mother he was screaming for them to stop. After it was over, they told him not to tell his parents what happened, he told his mother.

When he came out to his mother's car he told her he was sore, but she didn't think much of it. Smith is 6 feet tall, thin and wasn't used to that type of workout.

Later that night he had a fever, and the next day he showed his mother his bruised chest. She rushed him to Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls, where physicians suggested she call police.

He was treated and released and doesn't have serious injuries, she said. "But as a mother it killed me to know that this was happening to him while I was outside waiting in the car," Reuteler-Smith said.

Waukesha police Capt. Mike Babe said his department is investigating the incident.

The event was sponsored by Brew City Wrestling, the local chapter of the American Wrestling Association. Promoter Frankie DeFalco said Wednesday that Smith never appeared to be distressed during the five-hour session.

"In the first few sessions we let them know how tough it is," DeFalco said. "We let them know that it's not fake and not soft."

The first three hours of the camp are intense, DeFalco said. The trainees learn about conditioning their bodies, and they learn some moves, such as falling into the ropes and how to use a forearm to smash into another person's chest, he said.

Then at the end, the trainees may participate in the initiation, the promoter said. No one is pressured to participate, and DeFalco said he asked Smith three times if he wanted to do it, and every time Smith agreed.

DeFalco said Smith took his shirt off by himself, and he asked others to hold his hands behind his back because he wanted to show he could take it. During the initiation, trainees are "chopped" or hit with an open-handed slap across the chest.

Smith was slapped five or six times before DeFalco stopped it, DeFalco said. He stopped it because they were running short on time, he said.

DeFalco also denied that they were forcing Smith into the ring. He said he asked one of the wrestlers to follow Smith to the restroom because he looked pale, and DeFalco wanted to make sure he was OK. In the past, trainees have vomited after the session, he said.

DeFalco described Smith as a "skinny kid who probably never worked out a day in his life," but he did invite Smith back for another session.

Reuteler-Smith said her son is no longer interested in wrestling.

[/Quote]

sounds just like some kid bitching and moaning over nothing actually, pretty stupid if he volunteered aAND took his shirt off

then again shame of the wrestlers if they did that to him

what does TWO think? Who's guilty?

Edited by Danny Styles

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kanenite
I think it's a load of crap. The kid more than likely got a bit banged up by not knowing the risks you take when Wrestling and the parent made up a load of bull****

Guest Thirteen

I don't know what to think.

I mean there are always two sides to every story.

One bit that did make me laugh though was this: "Reuteler-Smith said her son is no longer interested in wrestling."

I guess it's not so easy to become a profesional wrestler after all.:lol

You go to a wrestling school and belive me, you get a punishing your first time, not to show how 'real' it is but becouse youve never done it before, and belive me when I say that getting chopped to hell is normal. If you cant take it just say so, dont act hard. Know your limits guys

This is why I dislike backyarders, they dont know what its like to actually wrestle, just how to fall through glass, or off of roofs.

Guest Thirteen
You go to a wrestling school and belive me, you get a punishing your first time, not to show how 'real' it is but becouse youve never done it before, and belive me when I say that getting chopped to hell is normal. If you cant take it just say so, dont act hard. Know your limits guys

This is why I dislike backyarders, they dont know what its like to actually wrestle, just how to fall through glass, or off of roofs.

Reminds me of a guy highly revered on TWO.:P

Reminds me of a guy highly revered on TWO.:P

Really? Obviously you dont mean Foley as he can work a match well and has a great grasp of psychology, which I have yet to see from ANY backyarder.

I've been to training school and been stetched and chopped and battered and beaten because it is hard, they make you know it is and thats with out being nasty to you.

They do it so they a) toughen you up to it, b) check if this is really for you and c) to welcome you to the world of 'fake wrestling' which although worked still has it's perials.

At any point you can say stop and they do, to say otherwise is bullsh*t and if you need a breather, water or whatever they help out and look after you.

But damn man anyone knows the initation is to get chopped the hell out of or to do like 50 bounces of the ropes until your ass and lat is numb. Just go for it and do as much as you can before you hit your limit and hurt yourself. That is all they ask, commitment and a sense of saftey. Thats what people want in wrestlers not bravado and stupid stunts.

Guest Dickie Hyde

Unless this camp is assaulting their clients, (which would have been shut down by now!) then the kid is lying because he couldn't take it. I'm going with the kid is full of rubbish, and the mother over-exaggerated it. Sounds like a bit of a mumsy anyway, my mother would make me make my own way there haha!

I've been to training school

Hey, just out of interest, on your first lesson at a training school, what do you actually have to do? How many people were in the session? Does it involve a lot of rolls and flips? Because i suck at even simple rolls, but i would be able to wrestle and take it to my limit everytime in anything i did.

Thanks for your help, just curious from someone i can actually ask questions too,

Dickie

DS Edit: The Edit button rocks.

Edited by Paul

Hey, just out of interest, on your first lesson at a training school, what do you actually have to do? How many people were in the session? Does it involve a lot of rolls and flips? Because i suck at even simple rolls, but i would be able to wrestle and take it to my limit everytime in anything i did.

Thanks for your help, just curious from someone i can actually ask questions too,

Dickie

A bit of a fitness test like squats, press ups, push ups with spotters etc...

Then running the ropes for a bit of the cardio testing and to show they actually hurt...

Simple back bumps, first on padding, then on the mat itself... then rolls onto the mat to practise the shape of the body and the landing and then yes again on canvas...

Simple holds followed and then a little light chaining practise and how to use transistional holds and moves to build between the big guns and build up the matches story...

This though took a good few weeks before we where allowed a dummy match in an empty place (like the ultimate dark match) and whilst this went on me did ring boy duties and also had the moves we where learning demonstarted on us to prove to us that yes they hurt, they wind and brusie.... and thats after the bump training...

How backyarders don't die I don't know!

Isn't it just a variation on the old hazing the rookies thing that JBL seems so damn keen on? Meh. Far as I know (from an interested outsideer's P.O.V.) it's always gone on, and probably always will.