Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Am I Ignorant?

Nimf

As a fairly new wrestling fan, I want to learn a fair bit... But sometimes I get the opinion off other more established fans that i'm either dumb or ignorant. Is it best for me to learn then speak about it, or ask questions to find out stuff? I'm not a huge fan of being made to feel like a moron but how else am I supposed to learn? Have any other fans encountered this? If so, why does it happen-surely those fans have had to learn themselves somehow?

Guest Sav
What were you called dumb or ignorant over? And you'll pick up wrestling knowledge easily, it's just what happens when as a new wrestling fan.

Guest MojoPogo
Anything you wanna know, just ask! Thats what the old ask TWO thread is for. But yeah, i guess some people are less patient than others, but do not take that to heart. After all, they put up with me. And thats saying something.....

Guest MrFill

To start off with, learn the terms.

If somebody says that it's a Shoot Interview, and you say "a what?" then the Smarky fans will just think you're either not a real wrestling fan or only in it because your boyfriend is a wrestler. ;)

To begin with, I'd say to use the Internet - search for things like "wrestling terms" in Google (yes, it allows you to search now :P), if you want more in-depth and better edited stuff, put "wiki" on the front, it'll link you to Wikipedia sites, which generally are better.

Don't try to name moves that you don't know what they are, like if somebody hits a butterfly suplex, don't say "that was a nice German suplex" because people will think you're an idiot. :D It's like a Ford Focus going past and you saying "that's a nice Mondeo".

Most Smarky fans tend to look down on people who "don't know as much as them" - it's about the only thing they can be arrogant about, so it's fun to realise that they have no life outside of being a wrestling fan. :lol

So, in closing, just one thing to say - research.

Tell people you only know a little and they'll forgive you more.

Guest MrFill
Do what I did' date=' learn as you go and feel stupid. :lol[/quote']

There, fixed that for you. :D

You're not ignorant' date=' like you say you ask questions, you want to learn stuff. Are you dumb? Well, you're with Cagey, so I hope that answers that one..............;)[/quote']

:lol Hilarious!

It's never anything specific, and luckily tends to be just morons in the Chat room occasionally. I do have running commentary from DC which helps. have any other people had incidents where they have been made to feel thoroughly dumb??

Guest Russ

Here's a concise list of all you need to know:

• Montreal was a work
  • Hogan drew 200,000 people at Wrestlemania 3, where he gorilla press slammed Andre The Giant just days before he died
  • We're currently on our 17th Undertaker
  • Nitro beat Raw in the ratings for a couple of weeks in the mid nineties, but after that, the WWF bounched back and scored 8.0's every week
  • The Masterlock is unbreakable

Guest Thirteen

• Montreal was a work
  • Hogan drew 200,000 people at Wrestlemania 3, where he gorilla press slammed Andre The Giant just days before he died
  • Nitro beat Raw in the ratings for a couple of weeks in the mid nineties, but after that, the WWF bounched back and scored 8.0's every week

How dare you sir!? Go wash out your mouth with soap this instant!:lol

• Montreal was a work

There we go-I don't need to learn anything else??

I'm always hesitant of posting in some threads incase my opinion is laughed at... Therefore I run it by DC first-he has uses!

Guest MrFill
Therefore I run it by DC first-he has uses!

Door stop, paper weight, draft excluder, getting the beans down from the high shelves. :lol

Door stop' date=' paper weight, draft excluder, getting the beans down from the high shelves. :lol[/quote']I'm usually better in a "HULK SMASH" kinda way.........

Is this before Andre died, or Hogan.........I mean, if anyone can come back from the dead, then it's gotta be the Hulkster.

Just picture the scene.......

Hogan lies on his back.....Death comes into the room, walks over to Hogan and picks him up.....throwing him over one shoulder......but suddenly Hogan "Hulks up" and points his finger......a few spirits that Death has previously taken shout out, "You!!!!".....Hogan waves his finger in Deaths face, blocks three punches, whips him off the fridge door, catching him with a Big Boot Of Doom coming back, poses to the various stiffs in attendance, then nails the Legdrop Of Doom onto him......meaning that no-one need ever die again......Hogan really is a hero......

Back on topic.......I hate it when anyone looks down their nose at someone who doesn't know as much as them......

Becky knows more about Buffy/Angel than anyone I know, and wouldn't mind or belittle someone asking a question that would be obvious to a fan......

I have seen incidents in chat where someone has asked a simple question, only to be met with flack over it......Becky has ran past me comments that she wants to post on here, for fear of being mocked over it......but I trust most of the folks on here to be respectful, knowing that those who aren't would be dealt with if it got too much.

Edited by DC

Guest Danny Styles
There we go-I don't need to learn anything else??

I'm always hesitant of posting in some threads incase my opinion is laughed at... Therefore I run it by DC first-he has uses!

Russ is joking there :P none of that happened

Just read some of the threads and see waht you can pick up, chances are with this thread people know your new to this so will won't call you dumb.. unless you challenge their point of view

She knows Russ was joking Bub...........but thanks for pointing that out..........next you'll be telling us that wrestling is a work and that The Dudleys aren't really brothers:P .....

Guest Inno

Everyone needs to remember that they were a mark at times... this kind of stuff really used to piss me off back in the day when you had the super-snobby-Puro-smarts looking down their noses at anyone who didn't know who Kobashi and Muta were.

Angered me so much, I actually wrote a column about it, back in the day when I used to do stuff and not just lounge about the forums ;)

you'll be telling us that wrestling is a work and that The Dudleys aren't really brothers:P .....

But Joel gertner was a cousin, right? RIGHT???