Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Meltzer - Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

Guest The Great Ahmar

Guest The Great Ahmar
Dave Meltzer is regarded as the man in the know as far as spoilers and rumours go. He also helped make the Snowflake system popular amongst the internet. The question here though is do you respect Meltzer's opinions and his news more than anyone else's anywhere on the internet? After all its only one man's opinion!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions, not particularly. I don't share his views on RoH nor do I agree with the majority of his star ratings.

When it comes to facts though, I respect his knowledge more than anyone in the business. I've seen people try to school him on another forum and enjoyed watching him destroy them to a pulp. You just don't argue facts with him because you'll lose.

Guest Jack

His opinion is well off mine a lot of the time. His match ratings are sometimes poor and he rates wrestlers I can't stand. As far as rumous go though, he is brilliant. Without any doubt at all. Whatever he says is right the vast majority of the time.

Obviously what he thinks is of some note. If he rates a match between two wrestlers I've never seen, 5*, I'll track it down. He's not that far off, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot of the time.

Guest Craig
I pretty much agree with DraVen. I respect Meltzer's knowledge for the facts obviously. But as far as his star ratings and views on what makes a match good or whatever, I usually tend to disagree with him.

Guest SuperKick Kid

I'm selective on which opinions and news from him that I give my approval of.

If I like the opinion or news then :xyx

If not, then Thumbs Down.

Guest Dave7g

I say Bollocks! And I mean this without a doubt. If it wasn't for Dave we wouldn't be even thinking about this debate.

Think about it.

I like Meltzer,i respect what he does and respect his opinions of 2 things i love in life-MMA and wrestling.

I'm kind of 50/50 on his views on what makes a good match,of course everyone will have different opinions based on what they like in wrestling and his opinion is his opinion,i just don't agree with it half the time.

One thing i don't like is-guys on the net that believe everything he types and hang on his every word,sure the guy is good and knows his stuff but me personally,i don't believe everything he says and don't like it when in the middle of a conversation some guy will say "but DA MELTZ~ says it's true so we should believe it lol",it's ok IMO to have the odd reference to Dave every now and then but some other forums blow it out of proportion with their love for him.

Guest dpddave

Regarding some of the rumours he puts out,like HHH said such and such and vince went crazy backstage etc. How do we no he does"nt just make half of that crap up? Its not like the WWE ever confirm it so theres no real proof of it....

.....Unless of course you believe dirtsheet writers never lie and report fact all of the time

Guest MastersGonads
I like MG, but I don't buy into his "insider > Meltzer" deal. His "fascinating insider info" often seems to border on the lines of being the equivilent of 'there will be weather tomorrow.. see?'

I have often been critical of Meltzer and WO due to the fact that as a full time pro wrestling journalist, alot of the stories reported are not so much 'insider' knowledge, and more using facts and journalistic skills to sensationalise a story when all they really are simply doing is putting 2 & 2 together, which in fairness they have time to do...but there are often stories that are very wide of the mark, or stories that arent reported, one recently comes to mind, where I would love to report, but with names and pictures of me posted on here, it would have been foolish to have written down. Meltzer has to appeal to an audience alos, so alot of Triple H bashing is there to target his prime audience.

In regards to my knowledge, in respect to Meltzer he outweighs me, no question, that I have never and would never doubt. Fact being he has been working very closely around the pro wrestling scene for over 10 years, which for me its less than 3 years. I am not saying that if I was around the business for another 7 years I would be on par, but it gives him a massive advantage.

Plus I am certain alot of the time, his sources within the WWE or TNA feed certain snippets to him that have been supplied ot vetted by management.

It make sense for the companies, as any press good or bad genertates interest in the product and makes people watch, its a clever tactic for the companies and for Meltzer as it upholds both parties positions.

In my own position, not being on the road 24/7, You pick up snippets that filter down, or you hear it straight from a source/friend you have who works on the road, Or you hear/see stuff when on the road which is pretty factual

Sometimes the information you recieve is bang on the money (like the JBL quits report) other times you have to take judgement on what you hear as a slice of it is true.

On this Meltzer is always pretty much accurate, while your version is slightly different.

For me the one place I know my informaton is 99% accurate is production issues, like my weekly debate on FTV or other such issues, which I like to report about, because to me its not so much insider knowledge but finding what works and doesnt work

Edited by MastersGonads

Guest Jung
Regarding some of the rumours he puts out,like HHH said such and such and vince went crazy backstage etc. How do we no he does"nt just make half of that crap up? Its not like the WWE ever confirm it so theres no real proof of it....

.....Unless of course you believe dirtsheet writers never lie and report fact all of the time

Thing is though he barely ever says that. People on other sites make up those rumours then credit it to Meltzer because, cleverly, people pay more attention to it cause it has his name next to it.

For wrestling news, he's the be all and end all basically, you won't find better.

For opinions I disagree, but well obviously you would? But I don't watch things cause he tells me or do whatever he says, I just go to WO for factual information. Opinions are pretty much impossible to go by, so for facts yeah he's the man.