Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Meltzer - Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

Guest The Great Ahmar

Guest The Beltster
Absolutely agree but it frustrates me when people blame that figure on Meltzer when chances he, he doesn't even agree with it, just once said someone told him it was 78,000.

Personally I reckon between 85 and 90, but said to be 93 so it would seem bigger than the pope. You just know Vince would want to stick it to religion.

85-90,000 sounds about right to me and 93,173 to beat the Pope would be the reason Vince said it, although I noticed the Pope is listed as more than that on the Silverdome site, so who knows. It might seem crazy, but I guess there is always a CHANCE there were 93,173 people there. Hell Vince might have listed all his employees and building staff aswell :lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jung

Oh absolutely, its possible it was that large, but knowing Vince's habit of exaggerating, I'd guess that the figure became that just to beat the pope.

Plus it continues the myth of Mania, Andre losing for the first time in front of a record attendance doesn't sound great when you say Andre lost for the 25th time or whatever to a very big crowd which may have been papered to some extent.

Guest tazz13

i don't even believe that the event was papered...i'm a firm believer that they sold exactly what the attendance record states

i don't think people remember and/or realize how big that event was at the time in terms of mainstream coverage, especially if you weren't alive at the time or were too young to remember

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Rarther then debate what Meltzer possibly said or thought why don't you just ask him directly?

e-mail him at Dave@wrestlingobserver.com and he will answer your question directly via e-mail, I have asked him stuff before and he does actually respond :)

i don't even believe that the event was papered...i'm a firm believer that they sold exactly what the attendance record states

Naive a bit. Wrestling promotions always have, and probably always will, bullshit the numbers to look better.

i don't think people remember and/or realize how big that event was at the time in terms of mainstream coverage, especially if you weren't alive at the time or were too young to remember

Considering there would have been people there who didn't pay for their tickets (comps, prizes, VIPs, etc), then the figure was not paid attendance. The event was huge at the time, but that still doesn't mean the figure was worked to a degree.

More recently, Corey Macklin tried to claim there were thousands more in attendance for the Hogan show in Memphis, so it still goes on today.

Guest tazz13
Naive a bit. Wrestling promotions always have, and probably always will, bullshit the numbers to look better.

naive, yeah that's funny

i don't give a monkey's left nut about the various exaggerations through the years...i am not talking about those...i'm talking about WM 3

i use simple logic and decent eyesight to determine the building is full and therefore seating 90,000 people

then i use my memory to recall the huge nature and historical significance of the event to surmise that there is a very good possiblity that that is a paid attendance outside of obvious things like promotions, contests, etc

Edited by tazz13

naive, yeah that's funny

i use simple logic and decent eyesight to determine the building is full and therefore seating 90,000 people

Naive is using eyesight to count 90 000 people! you must have been eating your carrotts

Guest Twig
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Instead of talking about how many people were or weren't inside of a building many many years ago... let's talk about how Meltzer says that Steve-O's gonna be at the next Raw to kick off the angle for his big Summerslam match. Mick Foley's gonna be there too! Perhaps he'll be celebreating his birthday a little late on raw? Edited by Twig

Guest tazz13
Naive is using eyesight to count 90 000 people! you must have been eating your carrotts

hmm well i guess you haven't seen the show...i'd recommend watching it, its rather noteworthy

unless you are retarded or blind you can watch the show and observe the arena and the fact that it is full, and again, unless you are retarded, you can look up the capacity for the silverdome

then you put the two together to determine a figure of approximately 90,000

its truly rocket science

Full doesnt mean paid though does it?

then i use my memory to recall the huge nature and historical significance of the event to surmise that there is a very good possiblity that that is a paid attendance outside of obvious things like promotions, contests, etc

And you would be wrong, in fact you and Vince would be the only ones to claim it was 100% paid for. WWE/F would give the total attendance, they wouldnt have split it into paid and papered! What would the point have been for them to do that?

As said the total people there may have been so high, doesnt make it paid attendance.

Guest tazz13
Full doesnt mean paid though does it?

And you would be wrong, in fact you and Vince would be the only ones to claim it was 100% paid for. WWE/F would give the total attendance, they wouldnt have split it into paid and papered! What would the point have been for them to do that?

As said the total people there may have been so high, doesnt make it paid attendance.

yes and where is you proof that the attendance is papered....do you keep silverdome ticket receipts at your house? were you selling tickets that day?

as i said, given how huge the attention was for that show, it is not hard to reasonably assume that they sold out the building....maybe you didn't watch wrestling back then i don't know, but it was a massive mainstream event

and no i cannot prove it was not papered at all, but it also cannot be proven that it was papered

Guest MastersGonads
yes and where is you proof that the attendance is papered....do you keep silverdome ticket receipts at your house? were you selling tickets that day?

On a number of occasions, at Smackdown tapings, Micheal Cole has exclaimed its sold out when the whole upper tv side is tarpaulined off...

Guest tazz13
On a number of occasions, at Smackdown tapings, Micheal Cole has exclaimed its sold out when the whole upper tv side is tarpaulined off...

and this relates to WM 3 how?

i'm sure michael cole has said that, not that i give a damn....and i'm sure i can watch smackdown and see many empty seats

i cannot however watch WM 3 and see empty seats...because there are none

Guest Jimmy Redman
and this relates to WM 3 how?

i'm sure michael cole has said that, not that i give a damn....and i'm sure i can watch smackdown and see many empty seats

i cannot however watch WM 3 and see empty seats...because there are none

You cant really see those empty seats, as they're behind the hard camera, if I'm not mistaken.

Guest MastersGonads
You cant really see those empty seats, as they're behind the hard camera, if I'm not mistaken.

Spot on....

Just because you cant see empty seats, doesnt mean there isnt any...

The magic of television...

Guest The Beltster
Spot on....

Just because you cant see empty seats, doesnt mean there isnt any...

The magic of television...

If we are talking about WM3 still, there were no empty seats, hard camera or not. There are plenty of pictures of the full arena online, Google them, it shows the place is 100% packed.

Just a 'FYI' note.

http://wrestlemania-fans.com/images/silverdome2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/9893/wm3-711.JPG

http://www.hollywoodsuccess.com/SilverdomeWrestlemania.jpg

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jung

Well from those picture there is no way there is 15,000 or so people on the floor, just no physical way.

The amount of space in the aisles, coupled with the fact they are seats, and in comparison to the rest of the 80, there just isn't 15,000.

So the 93,000 number is a lie. But as me and Belty agreed earlier its probably somewhere between I dunno 85 and 90, but I can't see it being anymore.

Guest tazz13
Well from those picture there is no way there is 15,000 or so people on the floor, just no physical way.

The amount of space in the aisles, coupled with the fact they are seats, and in comparison to the rest of the 80, there just isn't 15,000.

So the 93,000 number is a lie. But as me and Belty agreed earlier its probably somewhere between I dunno 85 and 90, but I can't see it being anymore.

then why does the silverdome list its capacity as 90,000? does the pope work his numbers to?

it has 80,311 permanent seats....it also had 102 luxury boxes, plus floor space and standing room

93,000 is right

Edited by tazz13

What did you quote earlier?

this is from powerslam magazine:

Zane Bresloff was the man whom promoted WrestleMania III for McMahon in Michigan. He and Dave Meltzer had a conversation on the phone years later about WrestleMania III. Bresloff was quoted as saying something to the effect of that the WWF has been quoting that 93,000 attendance number for so long, he thought they were starting to believe it themselves. Meltzer asked him whether or not 93,000 was the real attendance figure, and Bresloff said no. He later sent Meltzer a fax of the official statement from the building from back in 1987. This gave the attendance as being just over 78,000

Assuming that refers to PAID attendeance (which makes a lot of sense) then thats close enought to evidence for me. Add again the FACT that pro wresting ALWAYS would exagerate crowd numbers and it makes perfect logic.

And yes I was into wrestling back then, I didnt know all the ins and outs as I was a young kid, but wrestling has been more popular since, the numbers still got inflated though.

PAID arrendance egagerated evidence: EVERY report not from Vince himself basicly.

Evidence against: Tazz13s opinion that it was too popular to have been faked.....

:doh32: