Fan Clubs (beta)

Racism? [Split from Big Brother 8 Thread]

Kam

From Digital Spy:

Emily kicked out for racial slur

Day 9, 10:31 BST

By Nick Levine, Entertainment Reporter

Warning: This article contains language and/or sexual references that younger readers are advised to avoid.

Emily has been removed from the Big Brother house after using a racially offensive word.

She was heard to say "Are you pushing it out you n**ger?" to Charley while dancing with her housemates in the living room at approximately 8.30pm last night.

Although she insisted that the comment had been intended as a joke, Big Brother deemed her comment unacceptable. The house rules state that any housemate who acts in a way that is seriously unacceptable will be evicted.

Emily was called to the Diary Room at approximately 3.30am to be removed from the house. The remaining housemates were informed of Big Brother's decision at 9.30am this morning.

As Emily was one of two housemates nominated for eviction, this week's eviction vote has been suspended.

Angela Jain, who heads Channel 4's Big Brother commissioning team, said: "In the wake of Celebrity Big Brother we must consider the potential offence to viewers regardless of Emily's intentions and her housemates' response.

"The word 'n**ger' is clearly racially offensive and there is no justification for its use. We have removed Emily from the house to once again make it clear to all housemates and the viewers at home that such behaviour won't be tolerated."

The incident will be aired as part of the Big Brother highlights show on Channel 4 at 10pm tonight.

I dont think they had much choice really after all that publicity from Celeb BB. Poor Shabnam will have to stay another week now...or maybe she'll think of something to get kicked out for... :P

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kanenite
Dont be so ridiculous....!!!

Nigger (I use it to highlight the situation)is a Racially derogative word...no matter what Charley's opinion, you simply cant condone people saying that....

Especially on a show that had such outrage over racial abuse last year....

I'm being ridiculous? So one word is said and it was accepted in a non-offensive way yet she gets booted from the show. So if a fat guy was in there and someone aggressively said oi fatty shut the f*** up do you think they would pick up on that in the way they did with this?

It's just such an over the top reaction and don't get me wrong i'm not racist at all, my best friend is indian :good222: But situations like this have been present in Big Brother since it started, whether sexual discrimination, racial insults or personal insults, yet because of one situation in Celeb BB they're now saying we won't tolerate it at all. If nothing would've come of Celeb BB's whole malake than they would let it continue undoubtedly.

Guest MastersGonads
I'm being ridiculous? So one word is said and it was accepted in a non-offensive way yet she gets booted from the show. So if a fat guy was in there and someone aggressively said oi fatty shut the f*** up do you think they would pick up on that in the way they did with this?

Yes you are being ridiculous....You cant condone a racially derogative word in anyway, where it was said offensively or not....Nigger is a derogatory word to black people whatever way you sugarcoat it...

Plus if you were to call an overweight person 'fatty' that isnt racist....offensive but not racist.

It's just such an over the top reaction and don't get me wrong i'm not racist at all, my best friend is indian :good222: But situations like this have been present in Big Brother since it started, whether sexual discrimination, racial insults or personal insults, yet because of one situation in Celeb BB they're now saying we won't tolerate it at all. If nothing would've come of Celeb BB's whole malake than they would let it continue undoubtedly.

Seeing this years Big Brother started with an unprecedented apology, due to the fact Big Brother was found guilty by Ofcom then I really cant see how it is an over the top reaction, when she has said a word that is globally accepted as a derogatary word for a race of people

What next..."Charley you dance like a Jungle Bunny" or "Shabnam you dance like a Jew in a Concentration camp" if these statements were found unoffensive by the two contestants is that ok?

Edited by MastersGonads

Guest Jung

I've heard The Honky Tonk Man has apparantly been arrested and charge with racism, and has been setenced to death by tutting of Daily Mail readers.

Alright she said a bad word but it wasn't in an abusive manner.

What if she saw a spider in the kitchen and said "get away you black b*stard" should we stone her? Its got be taken into context or else its PC overkill. They should have at least taken her into the diary room and said the kind of language can not be condoned, if its used again you shall be removed, as opposed to just making a knee jerk reaction.

But well my suspicion has been confirmed that Big Brother is just one big farce. She's been kicked out because it will cause media controversy, forget anything to do with racism, cause its got nothing to do with that.

BB so far has been dull, they needed some headlines. I expect to see her in South Africa next week apologising to Nelson Mandela in a special 2 hour Channel 4 documentary, right after Diana's death pictures.

Guest Miss T
Dont be so ridiculous....!!!

Nigger (I use it to highlight the situation)is a Racially derogative word...no matter what Charley's opinion, you simply cant condone people saying that....

Especially on a show that had such outrage over racial abuse last year....

Lots of people use the word n*gger and it is used in alot of music these days which is universally available! So I guess you can condone people saying it because its used all the time!! I personally dont think its can only be used in a racist context, its a cultural reference now aswell.

Guest The Doctor

Just to stir some sexism into the mix along with all the 'racism', I am gutted by this because, as Ziggy quite rightly pointed out, Emily had the best bum in the house (check out her profile pics on the official Channel 4 site if you need reminding).

My conspiracy theory style input on this: yes BB kicked the poor girl out to avoide a Shilpa-esque bout of controversy, but I'm sure that they already knew she was going on Friday anyway based on the votes cast so far. If she wasn't already halfway out the door I think they might not have actually instantly ejected her from the house and taken some other disciplinary measure. Given that I believe she was most likely going to go tomorrow anyway, this way BB gets to look ultra vigilant on the race issue but not actually disrupt their plans all that much.

Guest The Doctor
Lots of people use the word n*gger and it is used in alot of music these days which is universally available! So I guess you can condone people saying it because its used all the time!! I personally dont think its can only be used in a racist context, its a cultural reference now aswell.

Couldn't agree more. This link may offer some insight on the matter: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nigger

Guest Kanenite
Yes you are being ridiculous....You cant condone a racially derogative word in anyway, where it was said offensively or not....Nigger is a derogatory word to black people whatever way you sugarcoat it...

Plus if you were to call an overweight person 'fatty' that isnt racist....offensive but not racist.

Seeing this years Big Brother started with an unprecedented apology, due to the fact Big Brother was found guilty by Ofcom then I really cant see how it is an over the top reaction, when she has said a word that is globally accepted as a derogatary word for a race of people

What next..."Charley you dance like a Jungle Bunny" or "Shabnam you dance like a Jew in a Concentration camp" if these statements were found unoffensive by the two contestants is that ok?

Whether you like it or not, Nigger is a word that is used in todays society from day to day as a joke, anyone who says it in an offensive way then i'm against it but it was a joke and was taken as a joke, if Charly found it offensive then i've got no problem with them punishing Emily but with it being accepted as a joke then what's the problem? Oh and talk about misunderstanding, of course fatty isn't racist, it's an offensive term though just like Nigger is an offensive term. It's on the same scale that you're insulting a person yet Big Brother have refused to pick up on past situations which have involved this.

Guest MastersGonads
Lots of people use the word n*gger and it is used in alot of music these days which is universally available! So I guess you can condone people saying it because its used all the time!! I personally dont think its can only be used in a racist context, its a cultural reference now aswell

Yes it is used in music, but why is it, either bleeped or muted on National radio or television if it was so culturally acceptable?

Whether you like it or not, Nigger is a word that is used in todays society from day to day as a joke,

Racist jokes!!....If you were caught by a Police Officer by Law you would be arrested for calling someone a Nigger....

Guest Anime Otaku
I agree with MG she had to go after using a racist slur. Miss T's point is null because when you hear it used in music in particular or certain genres of movies its used by or between black people. It's like I feel about being refered to as a cripple, if it's from a disabled person or a good friend I'd probably be ok with it but if someone I didn't know used it I'd be really angry about it.

From Digital Spy:

In full: Transcript of Emily's racial slur

Thursday, June 7 2007, 10:16 BST

By James Welsh, International Editor

Warning: This article contains language and/or sexual references that younger readers are advised to avoid.

DS:BB presents, in full, the transcript of the conversation between Emily, Charley and Nicky in which Emily uttered a racial slur leading to her eviction from the house.

The transcript, which is provisional and provided by Channel 4, now follows.

Emily: (referring to Charley dancing/pushing her hips forward) You pushing it out you nigger.

Nicky: (shocked laughter) Em, I can't believe you said that.

Charley: You are in trouble.

Emily: Don't make a big thing out of it then. I was joking.

Charley: I know you were... but that's some serious ****, sorry.

Emily: Why?

Charley: Oh my god. I'm not even saying it.

Nicky: Just don't talk about it anymore.

Emily: I was joking

Charley: Do you know how many viewers would watch that?

Nicky: Okay, don't make a big deal out of it.

Charley: Fancy you saying that. I can't believe you said that.

Emily: Somebody has already used that word in this house.

Charley: No way. (Pause) Yeah, me. I'm a nigger.

Nicky laughs.

Charley: I am one. Fancy you saying it. I know maybe you see it in a rap song. Maybe you and your friends sit there saying it.

Emily: I'm friendly with plenty of black people.

Nicky: And you call them niggers?

Emily: Yeah and they call me niggers. They call me wiggers as well.

Nicky: I'm quite shocked.

Charley: I'm ****ing in shock.

Emily: It's not a big deal though is it?

Charley: Not for us it ain't. **** me.

Both Nicky and Charley were shocked she said it...so it cant be THAT socially acceptable? I agree she meant no harm by it...but C4 never really had a choice, especially with that reaction from Nicky and Charley.

Guest Jaycey Baby
I fear this kind of enforced sterility is going to ruin future series of Big Brother. The housemates will be afraid to breathe soon enough in case something slips out that might be misconstrued. This sort of thing's all over TV (particularly MTV), why do they continue to make BB the pariah? If there's a Shetty-style furore over this I hope Emily has the strength where Jade Goody didn't to stand up and say no, I won't apologise, and if you think this is worth any kind of outcry, you're a complete and utter idiot.

Guest MastersGonads
I fear this kind of enforced sterility is going to ruin future series of Big Brother. The housemates will be afraid to breathe soon enough in case something slips out that might be misconstrued. This sort of thing's all over TV (particularly MTV), why do they continue to make BB the pariah? If there's a Shetty-style furore over this I hope Emily has the strength where Jade Goody didn't to stand up and say no, I won't apologise, and if you think this is worth any kind of outcry, you're a complete and utter idiot.

I think you will be hard pressed to find any other television channel using the word 'Nigger' in their broadcasting....