🚧 Fan Clubs is in Beta ×

Racism? [Split from Big Brother 8 Thread]

Kam

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I personally don't find anything offensive and my personal view is if people stopped getting offended by simple words then the world would be alot better place, I have been alled alsorts in my life and I just let it roll off my back and ignored it, or even laughed about it on some occasions

I am white and have I said Nigger before - yes, have I said other 'racist' terms before - yes, do I feel bad about it - no I don't

If people stopped getting offended at everything then the words and those who use them in 'racist' ways lose their power too, a word isn't 'bad' until we make it so in our reaction

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MastersGonads
I personally don't find anything offensive and my personal view is if people stopped getting offended by simple words then the world would be alot better place, I have been alled alsorts in my life and I just let it roll off my back and ignored it, or even laughed about it on some occasions

I am white and have I said Nigger before - yes, have I said other 'racist' terms before - yes, do I feel bad about it - no I don't

If people stopped getting offended at everything then the words and those who use them in 'racist' ways lose their power too, a word isn't 'bad' until we make it so in our reaction

So its ok to keep Police Officers seperate when in prison to avoid them from abuse, but when it comes to personal racist abuse that is perfectly fine!?

Because Nigger IS a derogatry and demeaning term AND classed as racial abuse...that is the Law!!

It may not have been used offensively in this case....but that does not disguise the facts....

To you it maybe a 'simple' word, but to a race of people who throughout history have been persecuted and abused which such terms as Nigger or Negro its has much larger connotations...

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

To me it is just a word, same as every other word is just a word, its people that put a connitation to it, if no-one was offended by the word Nigger or Paki or anything else thats racist then the people using the words would lose everything they stand for and the word would become nothing in meaning

A word doesn't mean anything until people give it a meaning, Nigger is just a word, its people's reaction to it that makes it a racist word and causes rifts

The old rhyme 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' is how I think people should live, there is no point getting offended by words becuase if you do then it just perpitrates the use of it in future

Guest MastersGonads
To me it is just a word, same as every other word is just a word, its people that put a connitation to it, if no-one was offended by the word Nigger or Paki or anything else thats racist then the people using the words would lose everything they stand for and the word would become nothing in meaning

The old rhyme 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' is how I think people should live, there is no point getting offended by words becuase if you do then it just perpitrates the use of it in future

Im sorry but thats rubbish!

By dismissing it your dismissing years of persecution towards a race.

There is association with the words Nigger or Negro to the Slave trade etc, and its not people putting a connotation to it, its years of personal and physical abuse, people dying and fighting for equality like Malcom X and Martin Luther King that cant suddenly be amended over night, to dismiss that as 'sticks and stones' is incredibly naive

Such words as Nigger, Negro, Paki, Yid all are derogatary words for races and religions, who throughout history have been persecuted. What else should we class as 'Sticks and Stones' the Holocaust?

A word doesn't mean anything until people give it a meaning, Nigger is just a word, its people's reaction to it that makes it a racist word and causes rifts

Has it ever occured to you why people react to a word such as Nigger?

Edited by MastersGonads

Guest Jaycey Baby
I think you will be hard pressed to find any other television channel using the word 'Nigger' in their broadcasting....

Well, maybe. But casual racism is pretty rife. I don't think the word has the same connotations to a generation brought up on rap music as it did to slave master whip-crackers.

Guest A.C.
A word doesn't mean anything until people give it a meaning, Nigger is just a word, its people's reaction to it that makes it a racist word and causes rifts.

So... it's the black peoples' fault that the N word is so offensive...?

Guest MastersGonads
Well, maybe. But casual racism is pretty rife. I don't think the word has the same connotations to a generation brought up on rap music as it did to slave master whip-crackers.

But to call a Black Person a 'Nigger' is still a highly racist and provocative act and would be acted upon by the Law......

Yes Rap music has muddied that waters, but the fact of the matter is, if you were reported to the police, you would be charged...

I was chatting momentarily ago with a collegue of mine who happens to be Black in regards to this thread, and he was flabergasted that people are trying to justify the use of the word.

Guest Jack
Because Nigger IS a derogatry and demeaning term AND classed as racial abuse...that is the Law!!

It may not have been used offensively in this case....but that does not disguise the facts....

If it's used jokingly, whether the word is acceptable or not, it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's really depends on the context of it. If I said to you "You're a dick", would you react the same if I said it in response to "I hate like you" and something like "Bolton will get relegated next year"? Of course not.

It really does depend on the context. What if they were messing about, say, acting like rappers? One of them says nigger, so is it unnacceptable once again?

Think about comedy - It's based on controversy a lot of the time. Is it wrong for someone to attack Jew's in a totally joking way? Making fun of the Holocaust in a serious conversation is obviously wrong, but if it's the punchline in a stand-up comedy act, would you react the same way? On another forum, there was a bunch of jokes about white people. I'm wite, but I still laughed, because it's not intended to insult me.

I agree that the word is wrong, but it all depends on how and why it was said.

Guest MastersGonads
If it's used jokingly, whether the word is acceptable or not, it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's really depends on the context of it. If I said to you "You're a dick", would you react the same if I said it in response to "I hate like you" and something like "Bolton will get relegated next year"? Of course not.

It really does depend on the context. What if they were messing about, say, acting like rappers? One of them says nigger, so is it unnacceptable once again?

Think about comedy - It's based on controversy a lot of the time. Is it wrong for someone to attack Jew's in a totally joking way? Making fun of the Holocaust in a serious conversation is obviously wrong, but if it's the punchline in a stand-up comedy act, would you react the same way? On another forum, there was a bunch of jokes about white people. I'm wite, but I still laughed, because it's not intended to insult me.

I agree that the word is wrong, but it all depends on how and why it was said.

I agree to some extent

This is where, as mentioned before some forms of popular culture have muddies the waters. I am not blaming rap music for this (It would be like blaming Columbine on computer games) and I will agree that it is obvious she didnt say it in an offensive manner, but the word still has greater connotations for a race of people who find it highly offensive, this highlighted by the transcript as posted by Kam, she wasnt being offensive but incredibly naive to history, as shown by her trying to blow it off...

Where the word has become more common place in popular culture and thus society, the power of the word cannot be diminished or dismissed when it is engrained in years of persecution...

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
So... it's the black peoples' fault that the N word is so offensive...?

In a small way yes, if no-one had ever taken offence then the word would have been rendered powerless, of course if white people (who are most to blame) had never thought up the word then the same applys

I watched Chris Rock not long ago and he spent fully 10 mins saying how and I quote "I love black people... but I hate niggers" and going on about the differences and everyone in the audiance, both black and white, aisan and others were all laughing their asses off about it, now why is it ok for a black man to say somehting like that but not white people?

If the word is offensive then it shouldn't matter what colour your skin is anyone saying it should cause offence but thats not the case, it fine for a black man to say nigger but not a white man which is hypocritical since its the same word just different colour people which the whole racism argument is about peopls colour

Guest A.C.

There are nuances of expression that can affect the way a potentially offensive word or phrase can be taken but take a look at the fullness of history and see a word that white people need to be careful about using due to its connotations. You can then apply some common sense to situations where you might offend someone rather than whine that "black people can use it, why not us?" after you've p***** someone off.

Chris Rock seems hardly the person to base your views on. He re-defined the N word as a term to describe just some sectors of the black race. Chris Rock re-defining a word to comedic effect doesn't constitute a change in use and a new entry in the OED.

Guest MastersGonads
In a small way yes, if no-one had ever taken offence then the word would have been rendered powerless, of course if white people (who are most to blame) had never thought up the word then the same applys

Do you actually realise what your saying?!

Do you have any idea on the slave trade or the persecution of black people in America for example?

It wasnt abuse of one person it was the persecution of a whole race, the branding of a negro as worthless, its not about the word Nigger or Negro its what it represents

I watched Chris Rock not long ago and he spent fully 10 mins saying how and I quote "I love black people... but I hate niggers" and going on about the differences and everyone in the audiance, both black and white, aisan and others were all laughing their asses off about it, now why is it ok for a black man to say somehting like that but not white people?

Your really missing the point.....

I too have that same DVD and he is discussing the use in terms of social status, people are laughing not because of the use of the word Nigger, but because Rock is discussing social and class status