Fan Clubs (beta)

Racism? [Split from Big Brother 8 Thread]

Kam

Guest MastersGonads
Simple fact for me is this, the word aint going away so you either learn to accept it how it is or you actually change the meaning of it and make it part of everyday life and thus take the power of those who use it to disparage people away

How about people just have common sense, and realise that it is a derogotary and offensive word that is a form of abuse and not use it?

I have always been taught that it is a form of racist abuse by using it....I am not racist so thus have never used it....

Simple

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ravenmark

I think either everyone is 'allowed' to use it, or nobody should use it.

It can't be ok for a black person to use it and not a white person too. It's not one rule for one and one rule for another.

I can see why it's offensive to black people and as such I wouldn't personally use it.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
How about people just have common sense, and realise that it is a derogotary and offensive word that is a form of abuse and not use it?

I have always been taught that it is a form of racist abuse by using it....I am not racist so thus have never used it....

Simple

That is all well and good but people have the freedom to say whatever they want to, just because you find it racist doesn't mean I or someone else does and so who decides in this day and age who can say what and to who?

I don't go around the streets saying nigger to people, but I am not afraid of the word getting used either or typing it or saying it, it is, like it or not becomming a common word and that is not going to change while people have freedom to say what they want, now the contex they say it in is a different thing

Guest Dave7g

I havent seen it yet, but it seems they were dancing around singing songs, and there was absolutley no offense meant at all. So does this mean that C4 will be banning all rap/hip hop now?

I hope so.

Guest A.C.
That is all well and good but people have the freedom to say whatever they want to, just because you find it racist doesn't mean I or someone else does and so who decides in this day and age who can say what and to who?

I don't go around the streets saying nigger to people, but I am not afraid of the word getting used either or typing it or saying it, it is, like it or not becomming a common word and that is not going to change while people have freedom to say what they want, now the contex they say it in is a different thing

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to call you a tw** day in and day out you wouldn't be offended?

Guest FreeSpirit

The word was used, that was offensive enough for me. And then to make out like it was "just a joke", and that she has lots of black friends who she uses the word around.

Who the hell does she think she is?

Guest Jung

I've heard Chris Moyles has also been fired for just being offensive to look at.

Ooo look here comes a police officer, what's his name? Oh its none other than PC Overkill.

Guest MastersGonads

But you dont have the freedom to say whatever you like....

If there was sufficient evidence you would be charged for racial abuse.....

Plus, you have to be pretty daft or naive if you dont know that such terms as Nigger or Negro is highly offensive...

I refer back to the original transcript...Where Charley wasnt offended by it, she was still shocked that Emily found it socially acceptable to use

Edited by MastersGonads

Guest Jung

Thing is though, she never said it aggressively, thus does it deserve all this hysteria? She wasn't being cruel or demeaning, just ignorant and naive.

Nothing like Jade, completely different scenario.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to call you a tw** day in and day out you wouldn't be offended?

Nope I wouldn't, if you'd care to do it to test go right ahead too, for nearly 3 years at school I was called tw*t, f*cker, c*nt and all sorts more but I just let it side right off and got on with my life becuase I didn't care what others thought of me that was their problem not mine

Guest A.C.
Nope I wouldn't, if you'd care to do it to test go right ahead too, for nearly 3 years at school I was called tw*t, f*cker, c*nt and all sorts more but I just let it side right off and got on with my life becuase I didn't care what others thought of me that was their problem not mine

Psychology 101 time: Just because you were too timid to stand up for yourself back then means that now you're all grown up you think everyone should have to put up with being demeaned?

Guest The Man Beast
Just saw this now and my point on it is that most of the people saying its ok and its just a word are white and will never know how hurtful it is being called the n word, I am white and have a few black friends and they on occasion's call each other the n word in a non hurtful manner, But still if I was black and was called the n word in a non malicious way it would still hurt imo. But I dont fully know and will never know what it feels like.

Guest MastersGonads
Just saw this now and my point on it is that most of the people saying its ok and its just a word are white and will never know how hurtful it is being called the n word, I am white and have a few black friends and they on occasion's call each other the n word in a non hurtful manner, But still if I was black and was called the n word in a non malicious way it would still hurt imo. But I dont fully know and will never know what it feels like.

Very true....

I have found G2G's insight in this thread very benefical and interesting...