Fan Clubs (beta)

Nintendo "winning" the console war

Guest Tio

I doubt its any surprise that Nintendo DS is out preforming the PSP by a country mile, in all territories.

However the sales figures for US and Japan for the big boy consoles makes intresting reading.

May sales USA

Wii 338,000

Xbox360 155,000

PS3 82,000

Thats more than Xbox and PS3 added together

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77833

May sales Japan

Wii 64,529

PS3 8,776

Xbox 2,553

6 times the joint figure (Xbox in freefall in Japan)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77829

I couldnt find the European sales figures for May, but the Wii is now back in the shops properly in the UK anyway so i expect them to improve a lot.

Guest dpddave
Ive been trying to decide which one of these consoles to buy,and cant make up my bloody mind. It looks like the wii is the most popular choice though.... I actually find that very surprising to be honest.

Ive been trying to decide which one of these consoles to buy,and cant make up my bloody mind. It looks like the wii is the most popular choice though.... I actually find that very surprising to be honest.

you got to go for the Xbox360,The consoles good anyway but once you get it online it blow the other two out of the water.

I have all 3 and I play my 360 more the other two but together.:xyx

Guest Christof
The thing with the Wii is that it's unlike other consoles. We had it set up at our housewarming, in the past where consoles were something a couple of people would get into and sit in a corner and play, the wii had everyone clamouring for a game. Maybe it's because of the different style of play, it's simple and most importantly, fun!

Guest big pau hoolinator
The Wii is likely to outsell XBox because the Wii has not been out nearly as long and then there was the lack of consoles so its just now picking up speed and well the PS3 is just too expensive

you got to go for the Xbox360,The consoles good anyway but once you get it online it blow the other two out of the water.

I have all 3 and I play my 360 more the other two but together.:xyx

Agree with Luke,the 360 online is superb.

Guest ahsatan

It all depends on what you want to do with your console, really. I never got into online gaming until the 360, and for that alone the xbox is fantastic.

The Wii, as Christof said, is awesome for group playing. When you have friends round it's so much fun jumping around waving arms and panicking that someone is going to put a fist through the TV while playing Wii Sports boxing!

Guest dpddave

Thanks for the advice on the consoles you beautiful people :)

.........not you king,your ugly.

Wii is easily the most pure fun system, probably ever. My issue with it is that I don't feel like Wii-ing it up by myself, and for the most part stick to my PS2.

As for the 360, with the release of the ELITE, it has become clear that in order to get a package equal to the PS3, you have to pay just as much, and even then, the PS3 is still better. I need Gran Turismo 5, so that's where I'm going.

Pretty much which ever current gen system you enjoy will lead you to the next-gen system that's right for you. All three keep their same ideals.

XBOX: Online excellence

Sony: Excellence through franchises (and graphical supremacy

Nintendo: Excelence in quirky creativity

The Playstation 2 offers best deals still and IMO kicks all the Next Gens Butts right now, newer isn't always better.

For Next Gen alone, I have none, but from what I can see the Wii is dominating, the PS3 is too expensive right now, and the XBOX360 has no games worth shouting about IMO. I think this year the PS3 will fly past all consoles, especially with releases such as GTA4, Metal Gear 4, Soul Calibur 4, Tekken 6 etc, even more so when God Of War 3 comes out.

Is the Wii really in the war? It's not exactly a next gen console, is it? I think a lot of people take it as seperate. Kinda like having a PC for some games, whilst a proper console as a main console, you know?

I dunno. I think it's in a different category, personally.

Still, they are very impressive sales, and I'm not suprised. The console isn't my thing, but it's obviously very good at what it is. Good on them.

Just on the PS3/360 thing, I'd expect the PS3 to take over soon. Blu-Ray is obviously going to win the war. The people who want next gen films, will go with that console instead of getting a Blu-Ray player. I'd be very suprised if the 360 doesn't get trounced around Christmas.

Guest Marshall Mac D

I find the ps3 nothing great yeah it has blue ray but do you really need all that disk space for a game. microsoft have been wise to stick with Dual layer

dvd what give's you good amount of disk space and its cheaper.

i find the graphic's just same since i had both 360 and ps3 on hdtv just the same graphic's and i am getting all my favourite game's i wanted on the 360 so i sent my ps3 back and got a wii instead because if i have lot people around then we can have fun on the wii as it is made for a larger group of people . the 360 does a brilliant job for less money i just think the ps3 is overrated.

Guest Bluestiger99
I got a PS3 and absolutley love it. While given, there aren't that many absolutley fantastic launch titles out there, it has a few of them that are. As for the 360, a friend of mine has one and it is has been absolute crap. Its had to be sent in for repairs on three seperate occasions. One it was sent to Microsoft to be fixed, and when he got it back the disc read laser wasn't working. So as far as I'm going, my money is on the PS3.

Guest Clarkey

I've always judged it by the games, and that is where I have been disappointed this generation overall, as we are getting predominantly the same franchises across all three platforms with tacked on features in an attempt to justify it, like wiimote and sixaxis fun. Exclusives are great. Sure it means that if you don't own every console you miss out on so many titles; but I loads of people also miss out on buying the winning lottery ticket. The passion with which companies try to one up each other by getting more alluring titles on their format (Little Big Planet, Super Mario Galaxy, Blue Dragon etc) is what spices everything up and makes it all more fun. I wish consoles would refocus back onto this, rather than cashing in on their big franchises and making them multi-format; but with the cost of development nowadays it is merely a pipe dream.

But again, as I always say, judge everything on the games that YOU will play and the games that YOU are anticipating most. This is what has been the success of the Wii. It has focused on core gameplay, and changing the experience of play to allure people in. Could it grow old? Sure, but hopefully by then someone will have been inspired by the Wii and DS ideas, and the unique ides based around Live and Home; and come up with something equally unique and exciting to take gaming forward again.