Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Where to for ECW now?

Guest Chriscare

Guest Chriscare
really?

I would say they need a champ who will fill the needs of the brand...and tahst to make stars for the main 2 brands. Who better than Finaly?

Lets be honest, people watch ECW for the wrestling, not the storylines.

I'm sure they do, but until you're exposed to it you're not gonna see the wrestling, and ECW's ratins are only about 1.9, which means there's alot of the WWE fan base which doesn't watch ECW.

It's been made clear over the past year that WWE doesn't want ECW to be something particularly different, but wants it to be a new brand, apparently Dusty Rhodes has been trying to pitch the idea of ECW being more of a training ground for younger stars than just another brand but Vince has shot down the idea serval times.

If WWE didn't care about ratings on ECW they'd have never brought Lashley and Vince to it over the last few months, they were there to bring in more viewers and to try get the undercarders some more exposure. Thats what the main event should be about, and Finlay isn't someone who can do that, the people who like Finlay are probably the same people who already watch ECW

ECW is fine as it is. They have a batch of great, fresh, young talent like Nitro, Punk, Burke, Cor Von and Striker. They should keep the belt on Nitro for a while and let him feud with Punk for like a period of two months. It will help get Nitro over as a legitimate champion and we can also have good match. After those two months end, have Punk go over Nitro and then he can feud with either Burke, Cor Von or once again with Nitro. Tis all good.

As long as ECW stays the way it is Nitro isn't gonna get over as a legitamate champion, he's just gonna be a champion of the poor third brand that no one really cares about. If they keep ECW the way it is, it's gonna look like WWE don't give a crap about ECW and it will weaken the brand. There's no point having all these talented young wrestlers on there if there's no one to help get them over, might aswell stick em on Raw and Smackdown and get them some exposure

Edited by Chriscare

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DarkMatchJobber

The brand draft did ECW no favours because all they gained was a veteran of the lower card in Viscera,a special attraction in Boogeyman,the annoying Miz and someone who has never been good enough to be anything other than a caretaker champion in Chris Benoit.

If Randy Orton's progress as an in-ring performer and talker continues than I think he'd be a good asset for the ECW brand,who could be more extreme than the man who 'ended' the careers of HBK and RVD with concussions?

(I know their careers are not over but WWE could build on the career killer thing)

Imagine if the RAW roster goes on strike and refuses to wrestle or even team with Orton because with his reputation they fear he'll end someone else's career and it's not like he can be trusted in partnerships,this could in turn see Orton traded to ECW because Smackdown's stars would have the same reservations about the legend killer and in the end ECW would be given it's hardcore identity as the only brand tough enough to have him.

It's been made clear over the past year that WWE doesn't want ECW to be something particularly different, but wants it to be a new brand, apparently Dusty Rhodes has been trying to pitch the idea of ECW being more of a training ground for younger stars than just another brand but Vince has shot down the idea serval times.

I had heard that ECW WAS being seen as a training ground now though. Which was one of the origional ides for it as you obviously know.

Guest Drake
As long as ECW stays the way it is Nitro isn't gonna get over as a legitamate champion, he's just gonna be a champion of the poor third brand that no one really cares about. If they keep ECW the way it is, it's gonna look like WWE don't give a crap about ECW and it will weaken the brand. There's no point having all these talented young wrestlers on there if there's no one to help get them over, might aswell stick em on Raw and Smackdown and get them some exposure

I see your point. They (Nitro, Punk, Burke and Cor Von) need someone to help them come across as legitimate. An already established Superstar.

I mean....

*ECW Spoiler*

just look at how the Cena/Nitro match this week helped Nitro look like a legit contender for Cena. IMO, it made Nitro and the ECW title look legit.

ECW would need a new baby-face to even things out. They already have a good batch of heels in Nitro, Burke, Cor Von and Striker. Punk is the only legit face they have. I think having Rey drafter to ECW once he comes back would be a tremendous to help solidify ECW, hell, or even Batista since he can't "challenge" Edge for the WHC again.

Guest Chriscare

Yea a babyface is definatly what they need, i mean people say that CM Punk gets a good reaction, but to be honest it's either that of the fans cheer nobody.

The brand draft did ECW no favours because all they gained was a veteran of the lower card in Viscera,a special attraction in Boogeyman,the annoying Miz and someone who has never been good enough to be anything other than a caretaker champion in Chris Benoit.

I dunno, they came out ok,

Snitsky for Viscera, at least Visc has experience and charisma,

Boogeyman for Sandman, Sandmans old and stale, Boogeyman is reasonably humorous,

Hardcore Holly for Johnny Nitro, alot more charisma and potential,

The Miz for the Major brothers, ECW has not tag division so getting rid of a tag team makes sense,

Lashley for Benoit, didn't work out too well obviously, but loosing Lashley was good for the ECW undercard, because with Lashleys gimmick no one was ever going to get put over on that show.

I think the potential for ECW is right there. Punk, Cor Von, Burke and even Nitro, are all loaded with potential. However, who has actually gone over any big names? The ECW headliners have been Van Dam, Angle, Big Show and Lashley. Not one of these jobbed to any of the future stars ECW has.

What the show really needs is to make just one big star out of those four. Bring over an experianced name, someone like Foley, and have a long program with a guy like Burke and have him as the big star. The show needs a breakout star.

If we're talking about bringing a new wrestler in, Foley seems perfect. I thin Vince could get him to work a limited schedule for 6 months, with 4 or 5 matches.

But really, the potential is there already and all they have to do is make the fans care about it.

Guest Chriscare
I think the potential for ECW is right there. Punk, Cor Von, Burke and even Nitro, are all loaded with potential. However, who has actually gone over any big names? The ECW headliners have been Van Dam, Angle, Big Show and Lashley. Not one of these jobbed to any of the future stars ECW has.

What the show really needs is to make just one big star out of those four. Bring over an experianced name, someone like Foley, and have a long program with a guy like Burke and have him as the big star. The show needs a breakout star.

If we're talking about bringing a new wrestler in, Foley seems perfect. I thin Vince could get him to work a limited schedule for 6 months, with 4 or 5 matches.

But really, the potential is there already and all they have to do is make the fans care about it.

Foley just an old out of shape glorified jobber these days, going over him is about as useful as going of Flair at the moment, if ECW wants to be taken seriously they need someone younger and established, Kane, Batista or Matt Hardy would all be a great as the top ECW babyface

Foley just an old out of shape glorified jobber these days, going over him is about as useful as going of Flair at the moment, if ECW wants to be taken seriously they need someone younger and established, Kane, Batista or Matt Hardy would all be a great as the top ECW babyface

Is'nt Kane only two years younger than Foley? and Batista 4 years? and as far as being established, Foleys won more world titles than either man.

I get the point you're trying to make though, going over someone whos technically been retired 7 years. But i wouldnt have Batista as top face on ECW because i cant imagine him doing too many jobs, and out of the ones he would do i cant see ANY being clean.

Guest Chriscare
Is'nt Kane only two years younger than Foley? and Batista 4 years? and as far as being established, Foleys won more world titles than either man.

I get the point you're trying to make though, going over someone whos technically been retired 7 years. But i wouldnt have Batista as top face on ECW because i cant imagine him doing too many jobs, and out of the ones he would do i cant see ANY being clean.

Its not really an age thing with these men, Undertakers same age as Foley. The difference, Batista, Undertaker and Kane are in great shape and still have it (if they had it to begin with) and unlike Foley they arent jobbers at the moment.

I can't imagine Batista doing too many jobs either, but thats not really a bad thing. ECW doesn't need a jobber champion like they currently have. They need a champion similar to the one they had, who'll keep the ECW title looking respectable, you don't have to job to put people over.

Guest dpddave
Kane is in great shape!!!! And foley could make someone look a hell of a lot better than Kane could....

Guest The Franchise
Is Nitro now an official Triple Crown winner in WWE? He's won the tag titles, a mid-card singles title (IC) and now a World title (ECW), so would you say he qualifies?

No. I thought when you win multiple championships in different federations or within an organization that makes you a triple crown winner?

For example:The RoadWarriors:Former AWA World tag team champions, former NWA World tag team champions,and former WWE World tag team champions.They are indeed triple crown winners.

Nitro was a tag team champion on Smackdown and a IC champ on Raw.Now(why I have no idea) hes the ECW champ. That just makes him a guy thats held a belt on three different shows within same organization.It would be different if he held the WWE, IC,and the tag team titles at one point in time. Guys like Edge can lay claim to that. But Nitro? Nah.:-0

Guest Jimmy Redman
Nitro was a tag team champion on Smackdown and a IC champ on Raw.Now(why I have no idea) hes the ECW champ. That just makes him a guy thats held a belt on three different shows within same organization.It would be different if he held the WWE, IC,and the tag team titles at one point in time. Guys like Edge can lay claim to that. But Nitro? Nah.:-0

Whats the difference between Edge's Triple Crown and Nitro's? Edge has won them on different shows too.

Guest The Franchise

Simple Jimmy...

Whats the difference between Edge's Triple Crown and Nitro's? Edge has won them on different shows too.

Edge won the WWE title, the IC title,and the tag team championship on Raw.(All multiple times) On Smackdown hes won the World title and he was also a tag team champion on Smackdown as well.

Plus at one point in time if I remember correctly he won the US title awhile back during the Invasion. So on two different shows Edge has held every title.Thats makes him officially a triple crown champion. Nitro has held one title on Raw,Smackdown,and ECW. Has he won 3 titles on three different shows? Yes. Triple crown champ? No.:greets4:

Guest Jimmy Redman
Edge won the WWE title, the IC title,and the tag team championship on Raw.(All multiple times) On Smackdown hes won the World title and he was also a tag team champion on Smackdown as well.

Plus at one point in time if I remember correctly he won the US title awhile back during the Invasion. So on two different shows Edge has held every title.Thats makes him officially a triple crown champion. Nitro has held one title on Raw,Smackdown,and ECW. Has he won 3 titles on three different shows? Yes. Triple crown champ? No.:greets4:

within an organization

I assumed that you meant within a promotion, not within a show/brand.

Guest The Franchise
Well Jimmy, it would be different if he won World titles in diffrent promtions including the WWE.Thats one thing.Winning all the belts that a promotion has to offer all on one show is another.:P

Guest Jimmy Redman
Well Jimmy, it would be different if he won World titles in diffrent promtions including the WWE.Thats one thing.Winning all the belts that a promotion has to offer all on one show is another.:P

Now you're confusing me. Is it three different promotions, or three different titles on one show?

Guest MastersGonads

If ECW keep the likes of Nitro, Punk, Burke and Cor Von, then the future for ECW will certainly look bright. It may not be Extreme, like it was in its previous creation, but as a third brand, I think it has the potential to be hugely popular.

In Angle, Show and Bobby Lashley these were Champions who were never going to be booked to lose the title, to someone like Punk, which in my opinion hurt the title and effectively the brand.

Now with 3 or 4 solid workers all challenging for the title, I hope it makes for a more exciting watch