Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Where to for ECW now?

Guest Chriscare

If ECW keep the likes of Nitro, Punk, Burke and Cor Von, then the future for ECW will certainly look bright. It may not be Extreme, like it was in its previous creation, but as a third brand, I think it has the potential to be hugely popular.

In Angle, Show and Bobby Lashley these were Champions who were never going to be booked to lose the title, to someone like Punk, which in my opinion hurt the title and effectively the brand.

Now with 3 or 4 solid workers all challenging for the title, I hope it makes for a more exciting watch

Very good point. Better to see these guys making a name, rather than being dominated by one chosen, established, Champ.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MastersGonads
They need a new original, New Jack would be my favourite. But I cant see that happening.

See I would disagree. It is obvious that ECW is moving further away from Extreme towards a third almost developmental brand, where stars like Punk, and Cor Von can excel before moving to the more established shows of Raw and Smackdown, and where some may not like this, because of what ECW used to stand for, I think this concept could be hugely popular

With new talent like Burke, Nitro, Punk and Cor Von, for me, seeing Dreamer and Balls Mahoney getting squashed while their counterparts either are released, quit, or are moved to Raw, I feel ruins the shows instead of strengthening them

Guest DanielFullard

I have to agree.

I much prefer ECW in this new "developmental brand" role it is now in. I find it far more interesting watching the likes of Punk and Nitro get TV time to see what they can do rather than what it started out as in this new run with the likes of Show coming over and getting top billing.

No offence Gunter but after all this time people should have learned to stop equating the old ECW with the new one. Give it a year 6-months and Im sure all the originals ECW stars will have been phased out with only Styles and Taz on commentary remaining.

I am just hoping they make proper use of Cor Von.

Maybe could do with another strong face to boost things as in Bruke, Nitro and Cor Von they have the heel-base to run some good programmes

I think ECW needs to establish some stronger heel/face divides and utilise more factions like they did with the new breed/originals. Due to only having one hour per week this would mean 1v1 fueds could be started very quickly and have instant heat. Just like back when DX and The Nation were fueding and any member of one team would go into a program with a member of the opposing team.

Also i dont think it would hurt to have some sort of authority figure on the show, either heel or face- preferably heel though. Heyman? Bischoff? Dusty?

Guest Chriscare

After watching ECW last week for the first time in quite a while i have to admit i'm less than impressed. I mean it was pretty much just the Nitro and Punk show. And the fact that you new Dreamer was going to be Nitro's opponent, because there was no one else.

ECW desperatly needs some more faces, if only to try hide the fact that they're clearly building towards having Punk as Champion and the show revolving around him. I mean at the moment there is no other possible direction for ECW, Punk has to win the belt, because if he doesn't, they have no other face to challenge for it. Which means that the show is about to become what it was before, a dominant champion and no one else getting a push.

There's no one else for the heels to beat, which pretty much means people are either going to get thrown intot he main event with Punk, having no build up what so ever, (which is going to make it look like any old person can challenge for the ECW title) or we're just going to see Cor Von vs Punk and Nitro Vs Punk, and Cor Von vs Punk and Nitro vs Punk.....

Guest MastersGonads
After watching ECW last week for the first time in quite a while i have to admit i'm less than impressed. I mean it was pretty much just the Nitro and Punk show. And the fact that you new Dreamer was going to be Nitro's opponent, because there was no one else.

Yes but this was mainly due to the fact that last week was a Supershow, so they didnt really have time to fit in 3 or 4 matches after Raw and Smackdown had finished. Hence the Nitro v Punk match from Vengeance.

I quite liked the fact that it was just a show around Punk and Nitro in the fact that ECW hopefully is giving time to a decent fued, and with only an hour a week it has been difficut to do this

Guest SuperKick Kid
Hopefully they eventually give Punk some promo time. I think he can pull off some great promos at times.

Guest The Franchise

All that sounds good however..

If ECW keep the likes of Nitro, Punk, Burke and Cor Von, then the future for ECW will certainly look bright. It may not be Extreme, like it was in its previous creation, but as a third brand, I think it has the potential to be hugely popular.

In Angle, Show and Bobby Lashley these were Champions who were never going to be booked to lose the title, to someone like Punk, which in my opinion hurt the title and effectively the brand.

Now with 3 or 4 solid workers all challenging for the title, I hope it makes for a more exciting watch

The bottom line is ECW needs a tag team championhip of their own as well as a TV championship to help bring that new talent to the spotlight.Never in the history of the WWE has their ever been just one title. And ECW has been the exception since last year. ITs time to add more titles to the ECW show.:xyx

The bottom line is ECW needs a tag team championhip of their own as well as a TV championship to help bring that new talent to the spotlight.Never in the history of the WWE has their ever been just one title. And ECW has been the exception since last year. ITs time to add more titles to the ECW show.:xyx
And there's not just one title now, as WWE has 9 titles (10 if you count KotR, 11 if you count MitB). ECW with one belt works, because it means that belt is the focus of the show and every wrestler on the show. They all strive towards one goal, therefore the storylines don't get too many on one show.

I honestly think you only bring up titles to get a reaction, because almost everyone else feels that less titles is what should be the case. All the brands have a unique title (IC, TV, US) with only the women's, CW, (one) men's and (one) tag team title to be defended as the WWE titles. And IMO, even that is still too many. Maybe scrap the TV title and the US title, have the IC an ECW exclusive, with the CW title on Smackdown! and the women's title on RAW. Only have the WWE title and the WWE Tag Title defended on all three shows. You'd then have....

IC

Women's

CW

Tag

World

Five titles over three shows, which would be much, much better.

Edited by DC

Guest Chriscare

What?! that's not the bottom line at all, we've just argeed thats the last thing they need

Guest MastersGonads

I really dont think so. What they need is more concentration on the title they have, which hasnt really been done, because they were never willing for a young mid card star to go over the established Champion like Show or Angle.

Now in Punk, Burke etc they have a good set of young stars ready to fight for the title and give the ECW Championship the credibility it needs, then in the future maybe a second Championship could be introduced, but not a Tag Team Title, ECW simply doesnt have the time in a show for that, considering to build a good fued, you would need to include singles matches between the tag wrestlers as well.

As I said concentration on what they have already is what is needed, not an excess of titles and no time to build credibility around them

Guest The Franchise
I really dont think so. What they need is more concentration on the title they have, which hasnt really been done, because they were never willing for a young mid card star to go over the established Champion like Show or Angle.

Now in Punk, Burke etc they have a good set of young stars ready to fight for the title and give the ECW Championship the credibility it needs, then in the future maybe a second Championship could be introduced, but not a Tag Team Title, ECW simply doesnt have the time in a show for that, considering to build a good fued, you would need to include singles matches between the tag wrestlers as well.

As I said concentration on what they have already is what is needed, not an excess of titles and no time to build credibility around them

But wasnt that a part of what made the original ECW a household name? When Paul Heyman had less budget and more bodies he had 3 titles for his brand back then. Now that there is a bigger budget and a nice crop of bodies 2 more titles wouldnt help the new ECW take off? I beg to differ. I mean when you have guys from Raw and Smackdown that isnt truly being used properly send those guys to ECW.:good222:

Guest Jung
But wasnt that a part of what made the original ECW a household name? When Paul Heyman had less budget and more bodies he had 3 titles for his brand back then. Now that there is a bigger budget and a nice crop of bodies 2 more titles wouldnt help the new ECW take off? I beg to differ. I mean when you have guys from Raw and Smackdown that isnt truly being used properly send those guys to ECW.:good222:

Heyman had way more time to justify those titles. Doesn't matter about budget and roster.

More titles wouldn't solve a thing. It would just mean even more worthless titles are around.

Heyman had way more time to justify those titles. Doesn't matter about budget and roster.

More titles wouldn't solve a thing. It would just mean even more worthless titles are around.

Got to be honest i agree, post draft i would have said strengthen the ECW brand up and give it another title, but when you have Johnny Nitro as your world champion then its scraping the barrell as to who you put a TV title on.

Guest MastersGonads
But wasnt that a part of what made the original ECW a household name?

But this isnt the original ECW, and no where near it, so you can forget about the original ECW, forget about Heyman

The ECW as it survives now, is a developmental brand, building television time and a fanbase for people like Punk, Burke and Cor Von before thy are moved on to Raw or Smackdown, and do you know what....it is working.

As I said in my original post, it is time that ECW was moved away from the likes of Balls Mahoney and Tommy Dreamer, and concentrated on building the main event scene which they are doing, to complicate this now by adding new Titles, would be a step back for ECW as it stands as a brand, and would simply undo all the good work they have done recently, in making ECW in its current form credible

Guest DanielFullard

I tend to agree that with just one hour of TV per week they dont really need any more titles. A lot of the titles in the WWE are meaningless now due to their being so many of them.

If ECW was given a 2-hour show then of course a "b" title wouldnt go a miss.

As for introducing tag titles. I really think they should have one set of WWE Tag Titles defended across all three brands as they simply dont have the established teams, nor bother putting the time and effort in, to make the two sets of tag titles have any meaning or credibilty let alone introducing a third

Guest Jimmy Redman

ECW really needs a couple more guys on its roster. There's Nitro, Punk, Burke, CorVon as the main event, which is fine. There's also Kevin Thorn who is being built nicely. Striker and Boogeyman are fine comedy characters, and Miz should do good things once he gets going, as will Viscera as a big man. Dreamer and Mahoney are obviously going nowhere, and Stevie Richards and Nunzio are job boys. Thats 13 wrestlers. I'd go for at least 15 to make it deep enough to have tag matches, and to be able to have feuds without having to face each other every week.

I really didnt like the Major Brothers going to SD so early after coming to ECW. I guess on the one hand, SD needed a tag team, and there's no tag division on ECW. But in order to make ECW a real developmental deal, you need to debut most guys on ECW, build them up into the main event, and then put them onto Raw or SD.