Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Al Stevens
http://img.waffleimages.com/img/f3db9f3ea28c9fc275453bee7e147926be4a1a97/flairrollaround.gif

Huh?

:lol:lol:lol Poor ric i think all the years on the road has took it's toll.

I enjoyed this softball interview by marvel comics and Edge. Who knew that when Rey Jr. returned he was supposed to be the silver surfer? And he was the Daredevil at WM XIX?

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstor...Superstar_Edge

Fightin' Fanboys: WWE Superstar Edge

Marvel.com: First and foremost, dude, how is your chest doing following the injury?

Edge: It feels great. Surprisingly it has for awhile. You never know what to expect with surgery, but I took the sling off after about a week and have been going pretty good since then. I've got my clearance to slowly get my feet wet back in the ring and go from there.

Marvel.com: How much time passed between your injury and the surgery?

Edge: I got the surgery a week and a half after, because you only have a certain window but I had to go relinquish the title. I [got hurt] in New Orleans [on a Tuesday], flew to Birmingham [Alabama] and got diagnosed, but Dr. Andrews only did surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays—and it was Wednesday. So I had to fly back out to TV [the next Tuesday] to relinquish the title and then get the surgery on Thursday after that. I finally got it done and was told I'd be out four to six months. We're coming up to four months and should be good to go.

Marvel.com: For those reading who didn't see it back in July, how did you get hurt?

Edge: I actually was having a Mardi Gras party. [Laughs] It was in the ring in New Orleans with floats and all the characters. I speared somebody I thought was Kane, who had a huge paper mache head on, and came right down on his knee, which drove into my armpit and pulled the pec [muscle] completely off. I had nothing holding it together in there. I finished up what I had to do, but I knew right away, "Oh, that one's gone." I didn't think it was as bad as it was because I had torn my other pec before, but I only tore half of that one and actually thought this time was not as bad as that one, but it was. They told me that generally, if it doesn't hurt that much, it's worse because of the blunt trauma. So I learned something new that I didn't really want to.

Marvel.com: Is "spearing a guy in a paper mache mask during a Mardi Gras party" pretty unique as far as wrestling injury stories go?

Edge: It doesn't really hold up, does it? [Laughs] But it's always things like that where [injuries] happen. It's like something from "Curb Your Enthusiasm." [Laughs] Stuff like that just shouldn't happen.

Marvel.com: Have you used your time off to read some comics?

Edge: I really haven't, and to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in myself. After doing therapy, I've picked up so many books. Bret Hart's book came out, [Chris] Jericho's book came out, Batista's book came out…it's also Halloween season and I'm reading the "Secrets of Dripping Fang" series. I had to go with my Halloween theme.

Marvel.com: How did you get to be a Marvel fan?

Edge: I've always loved comics, basically since I can remember. Comics along with [the band] KISS were really the first things that I discovered. For some reason I latched onto those things. I loved the artwork and, also as long as I can remember, I've been able to draw, so I could try and look at what I was reading and draw it—that was really fun for me. I've always drawn comic book characters and had a really good time with that. Maybe it was the artwork, maybe it was the larger than life characters and all these different powers—[comics were] so cool to me growing up and looking at what we do now [as wrestlers], it's as close as you can get to being a real life super hero. So I really think what set me along the path to wrestling was comics and KISS.

Marvel.com: Who were some of your favorite characters as a kid?

Edge: Everybody loves Spidey. I certainly did. Thor was a big favorite. And the Incredible Hulk for me as a child was huge too. As I grew older, I got into the darker characters. It's been a nice journey throughout the years to kind of grow up with the characters.

Marvel.com: Did you or do you ever work anything from comics into your wrestling persona?

Edge: [Laughs] I used to sit in class and draw my own wrestling-themed comic book. It was called "The Blond Bombers" and that was going to be my handle. [Laughs] All my friends were in there as different characters. [Future tag team partner] Christian was Sweet Daddy Freakout. There was a character first introduced in my comic named Sexton Hardcastle. He was basically a playboy. He was kind of "The Heartbreak Kid" [shawn Michaels], Rick Rude, Ric Flair and all the guys like that. Sexton Hardcastle actually morphed into being one of my first wrestling characters. It was all created in an Adam Copeland comic book.

Marvel.com: I didn't know you could draw. Have you ever thought of doing something with comics on the side or after you're done with wrestling?

Edge: Actually I have. I think it would be a cool outlet, because it would be something I enjoy, not something that feels like work. One of the beautiful things about what I do is that it has never felt like work, unless it's a 20 hour flight or something and sometimes getting powerbombed feels like work. [Laughs] It's never really felt like work and I think [art] would be another outlet like that. It would be fun and enjoyable to watch something be created and to be involved in the process, to know where you're going with it and trying to keep people on their toes with it, kind of like when you're thinking of a match, trying to tell that story and keep people on their toes. I think that would be really interesting, especially with how far comics have come in terms of storytelling.

Marvel.com: But not so much Alpha Flight?

Edge: [Laughs] Well not in comparison to Wolverine.

Marvel.com: Who else in WWE do you geek out over comics with?

Edge: C.M. Punk. Obviously [Gregory] Helms, who I still call "Hurricane" [EDITOR'S NOTE: From 2001 to 2005, WWE wrestler Gregory Helm played a super hero character called the Hurricane]. Rey Mysterio, and you can tell a lot by his character. I've always said that if you need to cast Spider-Man without the CGI, you get Rey, because he can do everything you need him to do.

Marvel.com: I always love when Rey busts out the super hero costumes for Wrestlemania and stuff.

Edge: Yeah! He wore a Daredevil outfit at Wrestlemania XIX in Seattle, I believe.

Marvel.com: And he dressed as the Silver Surfer pretty recently.

Edge: Oh yeah! For his comeback match [at Summerslam] he painted himself silver! [Laughs]

Marvel.com: You've got to hook up a match with him as the Silver Surfer against you as Thor!

Edge: [Laughs] That would be awesome. I'm wondering who would win that fight in a comic? Rey would probably pull in Great Khali as Galactus. [Laughs]

Marvel.com: Now THAT is a costume I'd pay to see!

Edge: [Laughs] Great Khali as Galactus would be awesome.

Marvel.com: You could paint Batista green and there's your Hulk, dude…

Edge: [Laughs] No kidding! Put some purple shorts on him. [Laughs]

Marvel.com: It's like a wrestler jumping from Raw to Smackdown.

Edge: Yeah! Exactly. It was cool when Kraven jumped from Spider-Man to taking on Iron Man or something. There were also certain villains who did their job, and I did just not like them, like the Red Skull. There was nothing about him I liked, which was good. Whereas with Dr. Doom, there's some cool in there. It's tough to totally hate him. Green Goblin was pretty hateable. As I'm talking, I'm realizing more and more villains that I actually loved.

Marvel.com: That brings up the interesting point that you had a lot of success in WWE as a good guy, but really hit your stride as a bad guy. As somebody who is "wired to root for the hero," do you ever miss playing the good guy?

Edge: I do and I always thought I was better at it, but in hindsight I think I was wrong. Maybe I was so in tune to the heroes growing up that I realized how to be a good villain, I don't know. I always paid attention to what the good guys were doing and not so much the bad guys, then sat back and went, "Wait a minute…" realizing that for those guys to look really good, the other guys had to be really bad, and that has become so fun to me, something I can really tap into.

Marvel.com: Does it feel more natural at this point to be the bad guy?

Edge: Oh without a doubt. Number one, it's a great outlet. I can go out there and do absolutely anything, be a complete moron and just have fun. As a good guy, it's really kind of a tough line to walk sometimes because if you try too hard, they're just gonna crap all over you. If you don't try hard enough, same thing. It's really such a fine line to dance, and I think that's because of guys like "Stone Cold" [steve Austin] who had that gray area, kind of like the Punisher or Wolverine, in that he wasn't really a good guy. When you boil it down to basics, he wasn't really a good guy, he did bad things, but just to bad people. All of a sudden the mom and apple pie heroes weren't as cool. I ended up for awhile being one of those mom and apple pies babyfaces and people kind of got sick of it. I was kind of trying to find my groove too. I had the wrestling thing down, but I needed to get the character down to where people could either relate with or really detest me. I think I was finally able to hone in on it and have a lot of fun doing it.

Marvel.com: When you were initially approached about doing the turn and becoming a bad guy, was there any resistance on your part?

Edge: No, no, none whatsoever. I think at that point I realized there had to be the Ric Flair and that's a great place to be. Generally speaking, people have started to realize that the bad guy is really where it's at. The heels, the villains, however you want to put it, their characters are the most complex and have the most layers, and therefore are the most fun to dive into. So I didn't have any whatsoever. Plus, we had just done Summerslam in Toronto, my first match in my hometown in over two years, I had the Intercontinental title, walked in there and got booed. So there was a bit of me that was like, "Ok, watch—I'll give you a reason to boo." [Laughs] Now I go there and they cheer me—go figure.

Marvel.com: Are you a fan of the Marvel movies?

Edge: Yep. In fact, after the autograph session I'm on my way to tonight, I'm heading home to watch "Spider-Man 3." I've already seen it, but now it's on DVD. [Laughs] It came out on my birthday, so I made the plan with my girlfriend to spend the night watching "Spider-Man 3."

Marvel.com: The spandex might not have been too kind…

Edge: Y'know what? That dude's still in shape, you never know. [Laughs]

Marvel.com: Good point.

Edge: I'll always go and see every comic book movie, I'll always give them a chance, and generally I'll like them. I think when my expectations are pretty high, that makes it kind of difficult. You go in really wanting something and if you don't get it you're like, "Aww man…" Generally speaking, that hasn't been the case. I enjoyed everything. I enjoyed "Elektra." And I really, really wanted to like "Daredevil," but like I said I was just so invested in the character. I was too close to it. If I didn't love the character so much, I probably would have enjoyed the movie more…if that makes any sense.

Marvel.com: Got a few comics vs wrestling dream matches for you…

Edge: [Laughs] Cool!

Marvel.com: This one goes back to your early days in WWE—Blade vs the Brood.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Edge teamed with longtime partner Christian as well as Gangrel to form the Brood, a group of pseudo-vampires known for pouring blood on their opponents.]

Edge: Oooh, wow…I'm probably a bit biased here, obviously, but there IS three of us, so I gotta give the numbers advantage to us.

Marvel.com: Blade has a knack for taking down huge hordes of vampires though.

Edge: This is true, but I'm Canadian, and for some reason that makes a difference. [Laughs] I don't know why or how, but it does. [Laughs] I gotta be biased and go with the Brood.

Marvel.com: Ok, here's another one: Canadian death match between you and Wolverine.

Edge: Oh damn!

Marvel.com: One last one: you and Christian, reunited, in the mother of all Handicap matches against…Alpha Flight.

Edge: [Laughs] I gotta go with me and Christian. You're talking about the E&C dynasty against ALPHA FLIGHT! If you were talking the Avengers or the X-Men, maybe a possibility, but E&C against Alpha Flight? The WWE A-Team against…y'know. [Laughs] So I threw Christian under the bus against Blade, but I need him to beat Alpha Flight. Two wins and a draw against Wolverine—I didn't say I'd win all of them. I'm being pretty fair here.

Marvel.com: Let's wind down with a little wrestling talk. You're set to come back at Survivor Series later this month?

Edge: We're trying to gauge it. I just started back in the ring down here in our farm system in Florida and that will show how well I hold up. We'll see. But I'm on the promotional poster [for Survivor Series], so I'm guessing I'll be there in some form.

Marvel.com: Yeah, we were checking out the poster earlier today.

Edge: They're doing their best to make me look like Fabio on it. [Laughs] That look on my face is, "Why is the wind blowing on me?" [Laughs]

Marvel.com: Would you liken your impending return to a super hero rising from the grave?

Edge: Yeah! When was out with my neck injury [in 2003] it was more of a question of "Will he come back?" This one was more on my own terms and people don't know when I'll be back or where I'll strike. I like that.

Marvel.com: Who's on your hit list when you get back?

Edge: Undertaker. Batista. Rey Mysterio.

Marvel.com: Not Kane?

Edge: What I'll probably do is figure out a way to get rid of him without even having to touch him. [Laughs] See, I'm thinking. You don't want to go into a fight with the Incredible Hulk, you get somebody else to do it. You get somebody like the Thing—maybe Batista—and they cancel each other out.

Marvel.com: Final question: will we see a new kind of Edge when you come back?

Edge: I don't know. I don't know if you'd want to at this point, not too different, not too far off, because it was working so well. It's one of those deals where if it's not broke, you don't wanna fix it too much. When it needed revamping, the people told me—well, the people weren't telling me this time. I'll be along the same path as what I was doing, but I'll always get more evil if I can.

Me. :(

Well, I wasn't watching wrestling around WM XIX, and I just didn't make the connection when Rey was all silver. Anyone got a shot of him as Daredevil?

Guest The Great Ahmar
PROPOSED RULE CHANGES TO PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING IN GEORGIA INCLUDE SILLINESS AND THE POTENTIAL END OF INDEPENDENT WRESTLING IN THE PEACHTREE STATE

by Mike Johnson @ 3:53:52 PM on 11/16/2007

The Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission is currently proposing a number of changes in regulation of professional wrestling. The rules were obviously written, for the most part, with a legitimate sporting event in mind, including:

*If a competitor touches the ropes, the referee is to move them back to the center of the ring.

*There would be no physical or verbal aggression or threats levied towards any member of the audience.

*Patrons under 18 would have to be accompanied by parents.

The rules would also prohibit blading and fighting outside of the ring barrier. Foreign objects (including "vial, capsule or container holding a gel substance that is meant to simulate blood") must be approved by the commission prior to the onset of the show.

One rule that may end up decimating the indy scene in Georgia is a rule requiring that the ring barrier be six feet from the ring with an additional four feet between the first row and the barrier. Obviously, smaller companies running smaller venues could be decimated by that rule because it would make most venues impossible to be cleared for events. A $10,000 surety bond required for all events as well as a 5% regulatory fee and $100 fee for a member of the Commission to monitor the event.

A hearing on the proposed changes are slated for 12/18, and written responses in regard to the rules must be received by the commission by 12/11. The complete listing of proposed changes are as follows, presented exactly as the Commission's proposal was published:

Synopsis of Proposed rule to Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission, Rule 85-04-.01 Rules for Professional Wrestling

Purpose: This rule describes authorized practices to be employed for professional wrestling organizations.

85-4-.01 Rules for Professional Wrestling

(1) All promoters must have a valid Professional Organization License issued by the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission

(2) A Surety Bond of not less than $10,000 must be on file with the commission before the event.

(3) At least (10) days before the scheduled event you must notify the Commission, in writing, stating the time, date and location of your proposed event.

(4) Within (10) days after your event each promoter is required to complete and return a regulatory fee of 5% of the gross proceed of the event. This 5% fee is on ticket sales at your event.

(5) Before any event can take place a physician must be at ringside and stay at ringside throughout the event. The physician fee is paid by the promoter. Also, an ambulance with 2 EMTs must be present ringside throughout the event. There must be adequate security personnel in the arena to control fans and the wrestlers.

(6) Wrestlers MAY NOT deliberately cut themselves and all wrestlers must be over (18) years of age.

(7) No one under the age of 18 is allowed in any area of the venue other than their seat except when accompanied by a guardian

(8) A Commission representative may be assigned to your event to monitor activities. The cost for this representative is $100 and is paid by the promoter. This fee can be paid along with the same CHECK or MONEY ORDER for the 5% fee.

(9) The promoter shall be liable for ensuring that all statutes and rules promulgated by the commission are strictly observed and carried out.

(10) Before the beginning of a wrestling show, all changes or substitutions in the advertised program of wrestling shall be posted at the ticket window and at the entrance to the facility.

a. Changes or substitutions shall also be announced in the ring before commencement of the first match along with the information that any ticket holder desiring a refund based on those announced changes or substitutions shall be entitled to receive a refund before commencement of the program.

b. Purchasers of tickets shall be entitled, upon request by them, to a refund of the purchase price of the tickets, if the request is made before the commencement of the first match.

(11) A physical or verbal threat of aggression shall not be directed toward any member of the audience.

(12) All wrestling or entertainment shall take place either in the ring or within the partitioned-off portion of the gym or arena. Physical activity shall not be permitted between wrestlers, referee, or wrestling event staff in the audience or outside of the safety partition.

(13) The commission shall decide all questions arising out of a contest not specifically covered by the statutes and these rules. In all other respects, wrestling shall be subject to the statutes and rules governing this sport.

(14) Wrestler’s Equipment

a. A wrestler shall be clothed in clean apparel.

b. A wrestler may wear two (2) pair of trunks, one (1) over the other.

c. If a wrestler wears shoes, they shall be fitted with soft tops, soft smooth soles, soft laces and equipped with eyelets only.

d. A wrestler may not have any grease, lotion, or foreign substances on the body.

e. A female wrestler must wear trunks and a top.

f. The inspector present at the event may disallow the use of inappropriate attire or disqualify a wrestling participant for the lack of appropriate attire.

(15) Contestants shall have their fingernails trimmed closely.

(16) Ring Barrier.

a. A ring shall be enclosed within a barrier which shall be erected between the ring and the seating area in the arena.

b. The barrier shall be at least:

i. Six feet (6’) away from the ring; and

ii. Four feet (4’) away from the first row of the seating area.

c. the ring barrier shall conform to the following requirements:

i. Be constructed of metal or other shatterproof material;

ii. Be designed to prevent a wrestler from exiting through the barrier into the seating area during a contest;

iii. Be built to a height of at least forty-two inches (42") from the floor of the arena; and

iv. Be stable.

d. The ring barrier shall be approved by the commission or the commission’s representative before its use during a contest.

(17) Time Limits

a. A wrestling match shall have a maximum time limit of sixty (60) minutes.

b. The commission may authorize any other time limit.

(18) A timekeeper shall begin the beginning of the time limit of a contest upon the referee’s signal and shall sound the bell at the referee’s command.

(19) Conduct of Wrestling Contest.

a. A wrestling contest shall be determined by:

i. One (1) fall; or

ii. Two (2) out of three (3) falls.

(20) Scoring a Fall.

a. A fall is scored by a wrestler when the wrestler’s opponent has both shoulders touching the mat for a count of three (3) seconds.

b. The referee shall signal the wrestler scoring a fall by immediately slapping the mat.

(21) Breaking

a. A wrestler:

i. Shall break a hold when instructed by the referee;

ii. Failing to break upon instruction by the referee, the offending contestant shall be given a count of ten (10) to release the hold; and

iii. Failing to release the hold after the count of ten (10), the offending contestant shall be disqualified and the opponent shall be awarded the match by the referee.

(22) When any part of a contestant’s body is touching the ropes or is outside the ropes or if, in the judgment of the referee, the contestant is no longer able to properly protect him/herself, the referee shall call time and the contestants at once shall release any holds and return to the center of the ring to standing positions and resume the bout.

(23) Prohibited activities:

a. The following actions are prohibited:

i. Inhibiting breathing by covering the nose and mouth at the same time; and

ii. Unsportsmanlike or physically dangerous conduct.

b. A wrestler continuing to engage in prohibited activities after sufficient warning may be disqualified by the referee.

c. No wrestling contestant shall use a foreign object(s) or prop(s) with the deliberate intent to lacerate himself or herself, or one’s opponent. No animal blood or human blood, other than that of the wrestling contestants that is incidentally introduced during a match, may be used as a prop or special effect in any wrestling match. Vials, capsules or any vessel containing a gel substance appearing to be or simulating blood may be used as a prop or special effect during a wrestling contest so long as the container cannot cause lacerations upon breakage

d. The intent to use a foreign object(s) or prop(s) during a wrestling match must be disclosed to the commission prior to any wrestling contest and shall be subject to the approval of the commission. This shall include any vial, capsule or container holding a gel substance that is meant to simulate blood.

(24) Refusal or Inability to Continue.

a. If a wrestler refuses or is physically unable to continue a match, the match shall be ended and the decision awarded to the wrestler’s opponent.

(25) Tag Team Wrestling

a. "Tag Team Wrestling" means a contest between two (2) teams each composed of two (2) or more wrestlers.

b. The time limit for this type of contest shall be a maximum of sixty (60) minutes.

c. A team shall be awarded a fall when a member of the team scores a fall against a member of the opposing team.

d. A two (2-)minute rest period may be permitted between falls.

e. A tag team contest shall be conducted as follows:

i. The contest shall begin with one (1) wrestler from each team inside the ring while the respective partners remain outside the ring on the apron;

ii. The wrestler(s) outside the ring may not enter the ring unless a fall is scored or his/her partner has tagged his/her hand;

iii. In order to be eligible to receive a tag, the wrestler’s partner shall be outside the ring on the apron in the proper corner with both feet on the ring apron and only receive the tag over the top ring rope;

iv. When the tag is made, the wrestler making the tag shall leave the ring as the partner enters the ring;

v. Only two (2) wrestlers from opposing teams shall be permitted to be in the ring at any one (1) time;

vi. After the scoring of a fall a wrestler may relieve the partner;

vii. If a wrestler is unable to continue; the wrestler’s partner shall continue the contest alone;

viii. The referee may call time after an injury to permit the injured wrestler to be removed from the ring; and

ix. Release the rope provided in the team corner until officially tagged by the partner.

(26) The referee shall warn a team of any prohibited conduct and may disqualify a team for persisting in prohibited conduct after a warning.

(27) A wrestler may have a second who:

a. Shall remain in the wrestler’s corner outside the ring enclosure; and

b. The referee may immediately eject from the ring area any second engaging in prohibited activities after sufficient warning.

(28) Referee.

a. The referee shall have the authority to conduct the contest and enforce the regulations of the commission;

b. Referees assigned to officiate a contest shall:

i. Be properly attired thirty (30) minutes before the scheduled time of the opening contest; and

ii. Remain attired and available until all matches have been concluded.

(29) Responsibility of Promoter.

a. A promoter shall be responsible to the commission for the conduct of its representatives and employees, including officials and contestants affiliated with the event.

b. The promoter shall be responsible for conducting the wrestling contest in a safe, peaceable, and orderly fashion.

c. Violation of the commission’s regulations by a representative or employee of the promoter, including officials and contestants affiliated with the event, may be grounds for disciplinary action against the promoter.

WTF! :lol

I was just watching a video with Eric Bischoff and Sting from WCW 1997 and it makes me angry to think of how creative and just fantastic wrestling was in that year. That WCW were able to make a guy who didn't even speak a word just be the most over superstar on the planet. Where a single smile meant more for character development and feud progression than any skit, storyline or words could have.

Those were the days...

I think Batista heard me when I said that the ending of his gattling gun pose during his entrance pyro was lame. Cuz I guess he looks better slappin his chest, the fans seem into it.

There was a Ric Flair interview in the Daily Star yesterday. Flair actually believes he is in the same league as Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker and should be main eventing shows with those guys.

Even though all three probably peaked 7 years ago, they're still light years ahead of Flair in this day and age.

Guest Kanenite
Oh dear god what the hell was that Omar?!?! That's so pathetic it's unreal, trimming of the fingernails, please! If that goes ahead looks like Wrestling is no more in Georgia, i'd hate to live there.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
There was a Ric Flair interview in the Daily Star yesterday. Flair actually believes he is in the same league as Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker and should be main eventing shows with those guys.

Even though all three probably peaked 7 years ago, they're still light years ahead of Flair in this day and age.

Flair is worthy of main eventing Memphis wrestling because they love legends who are past their prime,live on their past accomplishments and still think they're top draws.

(note that Hogan is an exception because he works when and where he wants and does not need Memphis unlike most of the other 'legends' there)

Flair could main event any wrestling and i would be there Flair is my Idol. Admittedly he should have retired five years ago to protect his legacy but is still Flair. The thing is he is still a draw even though he can not wrestle now. Let him have his run in the sun and then retire with grace.

Guest huckool
Isn't Smackdown recorded before ECW? If so, then this past week's taping would have been very confusing, with Matt Hardy getting a beating off MVP and losing the tag titles, yet having them later on ECW and being completly healthy. Have they switched them round or put ECW between two parts of Smackdown or what?