Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

As a friendly aside, Cena is now 2 days away from surpassing The Ultimate Warriors title reign (in length) and only 5 days away from surpassing that of Superstar Billy Graham. He has already surpassed JBL so he will officially be the 9th longest-reigning WWF/WWE champion come next week (behind Diesel) :).
I think he may overtake Diesel as well (which will mean a retain of the title at Summerslam), but I think Hogan, Pedro, Sammartino and Backlund are safe. Savage might be in trouble though. Edited by DC

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FreeSpirit

Didn't Cena surpass JBL's reign in his 1st title run as well?

April 3rd 2005 - January 8th 2006

Guest The Beltster
Hogans single length run of over 4 years is safe, no doubt. However his grand total might be in trouble if Cena keeps up the way he is. It he surpasses it, I'll cry.

Guest SuperKick Kid

Maxim has an article called "They Shouldn't Be Alive" featuring wrestlers they think should have died already due to their lifestyle, with odds on them making it to 2008. Below are a few wrestlers whom they mention:

The Ultimate Warrior

Odds that he'll die before 2008: 20 to 1

Why he should be dead: For the better part of the late '90s, we actually thought the Warrior (his legal name since 1993) was dead. His disappearance from the ring sparked countless rumors of his demise, but the man once known as Jim "Justice" Hellwig is still alive and delivering rant-filled speeches to directionless college kids all over the country. The clip proves his brain is mostly dead, so his (probably) steroid-riddled body can't be far behind.

How he'll die: Years spent screaming at the top of his lungs and tying off his joints to make his veins pop result in an explosive brain aneurysm during one of The Warrior's tirades.

The Iron Sheik

Odds that he'll die before 2008: 5 to 1

Why he should be dead: As Howard Stern fans already know, the Sheik has a bit of a drinking problem, along with a volatile temper that makes Ron Artest look like John Stockton…in short shorts. Plus, we're pretty sure there's nothing but tumors underneath that mustache.

How he'll die: We're guessing bear attack. It's a long shot, but given the unlikely circumstances that have taken the lives of other professional wrestlers, it's not entirely unreasonable.

Ric Flair

Odds that he'll die before 2008: 8 to 1

Why he should be dead: We were shocked to find out that Nature Boy was born in 1949 rather than the late 1800s. It's obvious that he still has all the style and charisma that made him a legend, but he's also spent more time in the sun than the pyramids. Skin isn't supposed to be bright orange, unless it's on top of a delicious bowl of macaroni and cheese.

How he'll die: Flair will tragically choke to death in a feather boa accident. During the autopsy, doctors will find that his skin was replaced with that of a beanbag around 1989.

Dusty Rhodes

Odds that he'll die before 2008: 10 to 1

Why he should be dead: Even when Dusty was in his prime, his man boobs suggested that the American Dream spent as much time with Bit-O-Honeys as he did with barbells. Now that he has no reason to exercise, he has a regular seat in every rib joint south of Delaware.

How he'll die: Can you overdose on barbecue sauce? If anyone can find out, it'll be Dusty.

You can read the full article at Maxim's official website.

Gerweck.net

Thoughts on this article?

Guest The Beltster

Something that pisses me off are fans who always jump on the "Hulk Hogan said Andre died a week after WM3!" or something to that effect, when he NEVER said that, ever.

Hogan actually said something along the lines of he knew Andre was hurt badly at WM3, he needed or just had back surgery and that he knew Andre was struggling during the match.

He went on to say the clock was ticking on his life and he died shortly thereafter. All of which is true.

Now, Hogan knows it was 1987 and he also knows he worked Andre at WMIV and lost the belt to Andre in 1988, over a year later. Hogan probably thinks Andre died in 1991 or so maybe, as I'm pretty sure he isnt the type of guy to keep exact dates in his head.

Reality is, Andre died less than 6 years after WM3, which isnt a long time at all, and his career ended less than 3 years after WM3.

People like to jump on the comment and now its all you hear along with the exaggerations of Andre being 2000lbs (I think Hogan said 700lbs?) and there being a billion people in the Silverdome (I think Hogan said 95,000, which is less than 2000 more than the actual figure). The joke was funny for a week, now its the most outdated, unfunny load of shite going. Its boring, people need to drop it.

Wrestlers exaggerate. Get over it. Andre and Vince both said he was 7'4", he was 6'10", I dont see anybody jumping on Andre saying "Ohhhh Andre said he was 9'11"!"

My pet peeve.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jung
Something that pisses me off are fans who always jump on the "Hulk Hogan said Andre died a week after WM3!" or something to that effect, when he NEVER said that, ever.

Hogan actually said something along the lines of he knew Andre was hurt badly at WM3, he needed or just had back surgery and that he knew Andre was struggling during the match.

He went on to say the clock was ticking on his life and he died shortly thereafter. All of which is true.

Now, Hogan knows it was 1987 and he also knows he worked Andre at WMIV and lost the belt to Andre in 1988, over a year later. Hogan probably thinks Andre died in 1991 or so maybe, as I'm pretty sure he isnt the type of guy to keep exact dates in his head.

Reality is, Andre died less than 6 years after WM3, which isnt a long time at all, and his career ended less than 3 years after WM3.

People like to jump on the comment and now its all you hear along with the exaggerations of Andre being 2000lbs (I think Hogan said 700lbs?) and there being a billion people in the Silverdome (I think Hogan said 95,000, which is less than 2000 more than the actual figure). The joke was funny for a week, now its the most outdated, unfunny load of shite going. Its boring, people need to drop it.

Wrestlers exaggerate. Get over it. Andre and Vince both said he was 7'4", he was 6'10", I dont see anybody jumping on Andre saying "Ohhhh Andre sais he was 9'11"!"

My pet peeve.

I think people mainly use it for comedic value more than actual substance though Belty. But come on 6 years isn't really shortly after? That's like me saying "Owen Hart died shortly after his feud with Bret" or "Mike Awesome died shortly after joining WCW". 6 years is a fair while.

But the clock wasn't really ticking on his life, I mean didn't he die of a heart attack which supposedly was brought on (or speeded up shall we say) cause of his father's death? Its not like he had cancer and wasn't gonna live to see 50.

Not saying Andre was super healthy or in great shape but its difficult to say clock was ticking, well I suppose not for Hogan in hindsight.

Personally I think Hogan exaggerates the truth a lot of the time, and people use that one cause its the funniest. Like Hogan's knowledge of the screwjob, its just amusing for me, cause it shows he's more human and really doesn't care that much bout wrestling that much, but loves the spectacle and the hype it can build.

Guest Laffy

Wrestlers exaggerate. Get over it. Andre and Vince both said he was 7'4", he was 6'10", I dont see anybody jumping on Andre saying "Ohhhh Andre sais he was 9'11"!"

My pet peeve.

To be honest although i am not the greatest Hogan lover I do agree that people jump on things that Hogan says more than other wrestlers. Are you sure Andre was only 6"10 thats not exactly big and in all the pictures i have seen of Andre he is huge. Way taller than Taker and Kane who are the same height. I mean Andre was HUGE I agree with the rest of you post just disagree with this point.

Guest Jung
To be honest although i am not the greatest Hogan lover I do agree that people jump on things that Hogan says more than other wrestlers. Are you sure Andre was only 6"10 thats not exactly big and in all the pictures i have seen of Andre he is huge. Way taller than Taker and Kane who are the same height. I mean Andre was HUGE I agree with the rest of you post just disagree with this point.

Andre wore lifts and would stand on crates in promos.

He was legit bout 6'10 same as Raker. Kane is smaller, bout 6'6 and wears lifts also.

The camera can do some clever things you know.

Guest The Beltster
I think people mainly use it for comedic value more than actual substance though Belty. But come on 6 years isn't really shortly after? That's like me saying "Owen Hart died shortly after his feud with Bret" or "Mike Awesome died shortly after joining WCW". 6 years is a fair while.

But the clock wasn't really ticking on his life, I mean didn't he die of a heart attack which supposedly was brought on (or speeded up shall we say) cause of his father's death? Its not like he had cancer and wasn't gonna live to see 50.

Not saying Andre was super healthy or in great shape but its difficult to say clock was ticking, well I suppose not for Hogan in hindsight.

The comedic value is gone, long long long gone. Its not funny, its nonsense and its annoying. People hold onto things for way too long and continue to use them like its hillarious. There is nothing funny left in saying it, over and over and OVER again, IMO.

Like I said, I get the impression Hogan, if questioned, would say Andre died around 91, I'm positive I read somewhere in a semi-recent interview that thats what Hogan thinks, so 4 years really isnt that long, especially in wrestling and especially when your life is go-go-go all the time like Hogans was at that time.

As for him saying the clock was ticking, I'd have to agree. Everybody, Andre included, knew he was going to die young and in 1987 his body was rapidly deteriorating. I mean watch Andre in 1980 and in 1987, its apples and oranges. Everybody knew things were starting to fall apart for him. I would imagine thats what Hogan meant, but I could be wrong.

Personally I think Hogan exaggerates the truth a lot of the time, and people use that one cause its the funniest. Like Hogan's knowledge of the screwjob, its just amusing for me, cause it shows he's more human and really doesn't care that much bout wrestling that much, but loves the spectacle and the hype it can build.
But is it the funniest? I mean really, his book came out like 5 YEARS ago, it was funny then, its not funny now. Now its just aggrivating.

And yeah, about the screwjob, I dont think Hogan really gives two sh*ts, but when questioned about something he doesnt like to admit he doesnt know, so he makes up elaborate stories which he is a prat for doing.

Guest The Great Ahmar
Just watched good times great Memories and wow! Briscoes V Shelley/Sabin is 5 stars. Briscoes have been so great for the past year, I'm going on record and saying their the best Tag Team in the world right now, and probably the best in the past 10 years anywhere! The whole show was great too, Daniels cut the best promo of his life, and the Cabana stuff was great too. Not a bad match on the whole show.