Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Todd Pentengale was pretty damn funny. I wonder what happened to him. Quote from the 1995 Royal Rumble "This is better than the Nickelodeon World Slime Tour; only there's no slime here". Like, what was that supposed to mean :lol?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Pettengill is and has been a DJ for a local radio station wherever he lives in the US since he was replaced by Cole.

Pettengill was awful.

I've been watching wrestling for years. Wrestlemania 6 was the first event I saw and I remember it like it was yesterday. I haven't ever stopped watching wrestling or missed a show except, and it's the only one - the Benoit Rumble (man, I still haven't seen that show....) So, why in the hell did I not have any kind of remembrance that Jeff Jarrett "debuted" in the WWE, late 1998 - after an initial run in 95/96 as "The world's greatest entertainer"?

On his 'debut', he was "The world's greatest wrestler" and was wearing a repainted Dean Douglas outfit - and was rubbish. Even more perplexing is that after a few weeks, he joined the NWA - in the WWF, with Jim Cornette and the Rock n Roll Express. Barry Windom joined not long after. Crazier still, Jarrett was the NWA North American Champion.

Skip a few months and we get to March 1998 and Col' Robert Parker was on RAW introducing Jeff Jarrett - as "The world's greatest entertainer". Out comes Jeff in full circa '95 garb (and no matter what anyone thinks of Jeff Jarrett - you've gotta love that flashing suit, with the flashing sunglasses) Jeff Jarrett is no longer Jeff Jarrett, he's now, once again Double Bubble Capital J - e - double f - J - a - double r - e - double me up just one more time bubble double - double, double T. Double J!

Parker is no longer Parker - he's Tennessee Lee (and props to Jarrett for actually doing the whole T - e - double n..........guff, without fault) and he "wishes the NWA good luck" but they weren't doing for him what Tennessee Lee could.

Hmmm.......I remember Double J losing a hair match, and then pretty much coming up with the Jarrett we see nowadays and I remember his first WWF run (I spend my days working hard on the go, but the hands on the clock keep spinning too slow, but I can't wait to be alone with my baby tonight - Now my baby's got me wrapped around her little finger...........etc.) I KNOW the sodding words to that song he didn't sing at In Your House - and the whole feud with the Roadie! But I never recalled all the stuff I've listed. Even watching it now, I don't remember it. I remember the LOD breaking up and DX and Austin and the D.O.A and pretty much everything - but I do not remember the second coming of Double J and the idiotic Jeff "The world's greatest wrestler" Jarrett.

Guest Jung

He returned in late 1997 didn't he against the Undertaker at IYH DX?

I first remember seeing him in WWF in 1993, first PPV appearance what Rumble 94?

Guest The Great Ahmar
Chuck Norris kicked him at Surviour Series 1994, that is Jarrett's career defining moment.

Guest Jung
the first memory of professional wrestling I have is Sting circa face paint limping to the ring to take on Rick Rude with Paul E. Dangerously as manager... can't remember when it was, in the days of WCW on ITV on Sat afternoons

Man I used to love Worldwide. Think it was the first wrestling show I watched around 1992 time. Sting, Vader, Rude, Austin, Pillman, Steamboat etc. Just cracking.

Guest Jung

To be fair he was very very lower midcard round that period. Started getting somewhere in 1994 appearing at the Big 4 PPV's (albeit in a non-televised match at Mania). But yeah he was around on 93 ocassionally.

Then of course 95 was his big year what with the Scott Hall feud and HBK match. By end of Jan 96 he was off though. Turned up in WCW in about September/October.

Guest Dave7g
When Jarrett was with the USWA he attended some WWF show as an audience member, and challenged Bret to a match, it made big news in the Kayfabe magazines at the time. It was very exciting to me, since I'm quite sure it was never mentioned on WWF tv. This was 91'/92' when Bret was IC champ. It could have been after Bret beat Flair though,not sure.

Guest DanielFullard

I have always like Jarrett and rated him as a good mid-card heel. Never too keen on his face days but in his feuds with Razor in WWF, the tag work with Owen, and parts of the push with WCW I thought he was very entertaining and Ive always saw him as a credible main eventer in TNA

the first memory of professional wrestling I have is Sting circa face paint limping to the ring to take on Rick Rude with Paul E. Dangerously as manager... can't remember when it was, in the days of WCW on ITV on Sat afternoons

Yeah I have loads of sketchy memories of that period. I was about 7 or 8 and vaguely remember them showing Ron Simmons title win, a sketchy memory of a Johnny B Bad promo, Rick Rude and some form of tag match with a huge mirror next to the ring.

I still have 5-6 tapes worth of it somewhere my dad used to make for me

I have loads of hazy memories, but the first clear thing I can remember is Wrestlemania VII. From that point I missed nothing, and have followed things ever since, through the entire run of ECW when it became extreme, the entire Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era.

I honestly don't think I've enjoyed wrestling as much as I did in mid-to-late 1998. ECW was cooking, WWF was on fire and WCW was still damn exciting to watch at times.

Guest SuperKick Kid
I have loads of hazy memories, but the first clear thing I can remember is Wrestlemania VII. From that point I missed nothing, and have followed things ever since, through the entire run of ECW when it became extreme, the entire Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era.

I honestly don't think I've enjoyed wrestling as much as I did in mid-to-late 1998. ECW was cooking, WWF was on fire and WCW was still damn exciting to watch at times.

You had to cry a little after WM XIV when HBK left for what was thought to be forever.

:sad:

Looks like all that bad karma caught up to HBK and ended his career.

But he found God and came back. :)

Guest The Beltster
By end of Jan 96 he was off though. Turned up in WCW in about September/October.
He left July 1995, the night he dropped the IC title to HBK at In Your House in that awesome match was his last. Roadie left with him but came back as the 'Real JJ'.

He left July 1995, the night he dropped the IC title to HBK at In Your House in that awesome match was his last. Roadie left with him but came back as the 'Real JJ'.
Ah yes, which led to Billy Gunn becoming Honky's protegé, Rockabilly.:lol

Although, that did lead them to become the New Age Outlaws, which was a good thing.

He came back at the end of the year though didn't he?

I remember him smashing a guitar or a gold disc over Ahmed Johnson's head at IYH 5 in December 95, then lost by DQ to the big lump at the Rumble the next month. Then he vanished again.

Guest Total Carnage

I don’t if anyone else remembers NWA/WCW wrestling when it used to come on ITV in the middle of the night in the early 90’s. It was pretty much the Juicer/Big Van Vader (with helmet)/ R & R Express show. You got the odd big name popping up every once in a while though.

The Dangerous Alliance were quality though.

Chuck Norris kicked him at Surviour Series 1994, that is Jarrett's career defining moment.

I’m sure it was a fake Chuck Norris. If it was the real Chuck Norris, the kick surely would’ve shattered JJ into a million pieces. :lol

I remember him smashing a guitar or a gold disc over Ahmed Johnson's head at IYH 5 in December 95, then lost by DQ to the big lump at the Rumble the next month. Then he vanished again.

Ahmed Johnson was great, wasn’t he? :P