Fan Clubs (beta)

Playstation 3 Console.

Guest Shev

Hello

I've never posted in this section, but I'm planning on getting a Playstation 3 and wondered if those who already own the console had any advice for me?

What games/packages should I avoid? Where to get the best offers? What to look for etc etc. I haven't been an active gamer in a long time, but I've really wanted to start again recently, especially with the release of MGS 4 and GTA 4, and the Bourne Conspiracy just over the horizon.

Does anyone have ant advice for snagging a bargain? The best price I've found so far was the console and GTA 4 together for £309, at Dixons website.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rebekah

The Dixons deal there sounds like a great one. I would go for that really.

Games wise, yeah like you said GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Burnout Paradise, Elder Scrolls : Oblivion among others. Probably buy a Playstation 3 magazine as thats normally good for reviews and recommendations.

Try to get a 60gig rather than a 40 (though good luck, words 'gold' and 'dust' spring to mind) as teh 60 are backwards compatible.

Otherwise make sure you have a HDMI (if you have a HD TV) and if you like lugh with friends then get the Singstar! I love it and I cant sing. :lol

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Agree with DS about getting the 60gb version it is far superior to the 40gb version

Games i'd advising getting would be:

GTA 4, MGS 4, Turok, Heavenly Sword, Resistance Fall of Man and Assasin's Creed

Thanks for the advice...I'm not exactly rolling in money, though, lol! I'm a student after all. I'm gonna start out with GTA and MGS. If I can manage to track down a 60GB console, awesome. But I don't think they make them any more do they? I'd have to get it from ebay. And this is the TV I have:

http://www.asda-electricals.co.uk/shop/product/alba/alcd15tv8m/silver/15-.html?i=3152916de244ae251f5b9701e4de346b

It's not HD...but it'll do.

I got my 60 gig back when it was out a plenty but no one could afford it from ebay for £350, I got 2 games and a bluray film with it, I was dead chuffed!

£350 not to much for a HD ready TV or £250 on a student budget 3 days of drinking ah?

It's a lot when I'll be paying £350 for the PS3 too, lol. And if you spend £250 on drink in 3 days you dink loads! lol.

I think I'll go with the Dixons one. When the hell are PS3 prices gonna drop??? :(

The 40GB isn't THAT bad compared to the 60GB.

I mean there's a rumour (and I stress rumour as I personally don't understand the logic) that the 40GB will have a firmware update by October 08 so it can have the backwards compatible.

I mean baring the extra hdd and a few extra usb ports it's not really all it's cracked up to be.

But yeah if you have the money I'd personally spend the little bit extra for the 60GB; I don't have the need for one as I just keep my slimline ps2 sitting beside.

Also..the 40gb DOES play PS1 games. So pretty much if you still have a PS2, just pop it beside the PS3 and it's no big deal.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Got to say if there is 1 game worth buying a PS3 for then its MGS 4 think JC said it in the MGS 4 thread its THE best game ever released on any console