Fan Clubs (beta)

Playstation 3 problems...

DC

Woke up this morning, went to play Heavy Rain and saw that the time/date on the system had reset itself to 23:49 on 25/12/1999. Not only that, I can't log into PSN due to an problem with the network (Error Code: 8001050F) OR play offline games that have trophies... which includes the aforementioned game.

Having had a look around, it seems virtually everyone is having the same issue at the same time. Sony say there are some maintenace issues, but, again from reading around, it seems that the exact same thing happened on the exact same day last year. I'm hoping it gets sorted soon.

Anyone on here having issues?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems the isslue is the clock/calender isnt programmed to work properly with a leap year. What idiot didnt think to consider that possibility while programming? :lol

Sony will lose a lot of money if this cant be fixed, think of all those returned PS3s to be replaced with the slimlines.

This isn't a leap year though, so that shouldn't have any bearing. On another note, if they do have to replace all the old 60gb Playstations, then there may also be cause for compensation with regards to any data lost as well.

The PlayStation Network (PSN) has apparently been hit by a major Y2K-style bug, which has, for the last 24 hours or so, affected the PlayStation 3 users round the world - they cannot sign into the PSN, or play games on the PSN servers, or download any new content.

This debilitating error, preventing connection to PSN, is apparently due a hardware or firmware issue affecting some pre-slim PS3 models. The problem is hampering not only online gameplay for the users, but also offline gaming for titles with dynamic trophy support.

In a post on its Twitter page, Sony has acknowledged the existence of some PS3 error, and has said that it is "looking into the problem." The company has asked the users to stay tuned for the company's updates to address the issue.

Reports to the company have revealed that the 120GB and 250GB "Slim" models are operating normally; thereby implying that the issue is only affecting the older "fat" consoles.

Meanwhile, on a NEOGaf post, writer Patrick Talbert has explained the issue as follows: "Something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time."

http://topnews.us/content/212144-sony-aware-psn-debilitating-error-looking-problem

There, I found it. OK its not from Sony so could be bollocks. Still, guess we'll see.

Times like this make me glad I sold my PS3 in favour of an Xbox 360. SOld the PS3 for £260 and got my 360 for £30. Shame said 360 then got The Red Rings of Death a few weeks ago. Thankfully Argos had a lovely deal where I got a shiny new Arcade System, Wireless Pad, and 2 games for £120 :)

Guest Gemsi

Well, see, you just made a point then didn't you? Times like these? Then mention one of 360's major screwups? Both machines have their faults, it's just 360's came about earlier. Who's to say Sony fix this, and then another fault occurs with the 360's. Would that make you switch back to PS3? Microsoft are generally known for their screwups, not just with the 360.

Sorry for this, but it's just a ridiculous thing to say.

Our machine isn't working, and it's an 80gb machine, so it's defiantely across all chunky systems not just the 60gb's. Haha, still doesn't make me want to buy a 360 though. :P

I wonder what happened last night. I have an image of all the non-slimline PS3'scommunicating and saying "right, those Sony bastards think size zero PS3's are better, let's give them a headache..." and all just died...

Now I have visions of my 60GB (upgraded to 250GB) as the leader of some kind of religious-like rebellion, pressuring all the younger non-slim consoles into plotting jihad-style warfare across Sony's own network :P

Power to the EMOTION engine (ok, fine, even if it's software emulated...)! Death to the Slimfidel!

Edited by etz

Yeah, lets not have a PS3 Vs 360 fanboy style thread please. Jeez...

When one goes down, us fanboys jump up and start a riot DS, I thought you knew that lol.

In fairness I did love my PS3, but it had to go as I needed the cash at the time, and I got the 360 very very cheap as a temporary replacement until I had money again, but ended up enjoying it, especially Modern Warfare 2 (which Ive since traded in for Ghostbusters).

I love my Xbox now I've upgraded it from a bog standard Arcade into a 20gb Wireless HD Machine.

I haven't switched mine on over the last few days, I wonder if I switch it on now, will I get the problem?

*Edit* Yup... the clock's on 1/1

However, i just put resistance 2 in and it's downloading an update to it, that has trophies, all I did was reset the clock manually.

*Edit* Yup resistance is working fine it appears and that has trophies, so it just appears to be the PSN for me.

*EDIT2* I've just done a connection test and the PS3 is connecting to the internet, just not the PSN, they've been updating the site and I'm guessing they've buggered it up.

Some trophies are updated online apparently, through the PSN, so for some games you won't be able to play them, it's a bit silly having trophies that must be updated online though...

I-player works fine too.

Edited by Saz

However, if someone cracks the "Oh noes itz skynet" joke, it's an instant infraction.

I've counted 153 so far looking into this and it wasn't funny the first time!