Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

The Super Comic Book Thread for True Believers

dsrchris

EXCELSIOR!!

Welcome, true believers, to the comic book thread!! A place where we can discuss all things comic orientated!

Read something that you have to tell everyone about? Seen some amazing artwork? Heard a tasty tidbit of comic news? Itching to argue over just who would win out of a fight between Spiderman and Silver Surfer? Then post it here people, and we shall discuss it to nerdishly woman repelling lengths!! :xyx

Being as I'm on my phone, I'll just leave a couple of reccommends for the time being:

The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead is centered on Rick Grimes, a small-town police officer from Cynthiana, Kentucky, his family, and a number of other survivors who have banded together in order to survive after the world is overrun with zombies. As the series progresses, the characters become more developed, and their personalities shift under the stress of a zombie apocalypse, most notably Rick's.

In the beginning of the series, Rick and partner Shane are in a firefight and Rick is shot and enters a coma. Upon waking in a hospital, he discovers the undead are in the building and town. Rick returns home and shortly decides to go to Atlanta, where the survivors were told to await help, to find his wife Lori and son Carl. He discovers the city is crowded with zombies and bumps into Glenn, a scavenger for a band of survivors. Following Glenn, Rick discovers Lori and Carl are okay along with Shane, who is less than happy that his former partner has returned. He also meets new survivors.

Yeah it's a zombie comic, but it's so much more than that. Survivors from a zombie outbreak go through all kinds of craziness as their community falls apart. Well worth jumping on the bandwagon now before the TV show hits our screens at Halloween.

Invincible

Invincible (Mark Grayson) is a superhero in the Image Comics Universe. Created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Cory Walker, the character first appeared in Tech Jacket #1 (November 2002), before graduating to his own self-titled regular series in 2003, as a title in Image's then-new superhero line.

Invincible is the teenaged son of Omni-Man, an extraterrestrial superhero of the Viltrumite race. Invincible inherited his father’s superhuman strength and ability to fly and he has sworn to protect the Earth. He has had trouble adjusting to his newfound powers and coping with the reality of his origins.

Starts out as a standard supehero story, but spirals out into a much larger story. This book has had me hooked for 77 issues, and doesn't show any sign of letting up.

The Boys

The series is set in a contemporary world very much similar to the real one, with one notable exception: a number of people have some form of superpower. The series follows a superpowered CIA squad, known informally as "The Boys", whose job it is to keep watch on superheroes and, if necessary, intimidate or kill them.

Ennis has said that the series will "out-Preacher Preacher", presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark. Ennis has recently stated that the series may last up to 70 issues.

If you read one thing this year (and next year, and the year after that) then read The Boys. Seriously.

I'm a hopeless fanboy for Preacher, and this takes the humour, violence, and morality of Preacher and transposes it to the superhero genre. Welcome to a world where the superheroes are the biggest a*sholes on the planet, and when they get out of hand?? Well...then you call in The Boys.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I admit Im a fan for the older classics. Preacher, Sandman (as in The Endless) and Green Arrow, especially the Green Arrow who was the 'social avenger' character who dealth with stuff that no other superhero comic would touch with a bargepole. Edited by Paul

I have thousands of comics residing in my loft, was a big Spiderman fan and Spiderwoman (Jessica Drew), but I have a shed load of X-men and even nonsense like Alpha flight.

I am a fan of Dark Horse though and I've loved reading the recent star wars, I hear the new computer game tie in novel is ok.

Oh, most powerful comic character? Who are we saying?

Hulk?

Superman?

Ghost Rider (supposedly able to beat The Hulk if inocents are in danger, or so says Doctor Strange)?

The Sentry?

Thor?

Captain Marvel?

Martian Manhunter?

He Man?

Lobo?

I only added Lobo as you're a fan. he's certainly not the right answer, Judge Dredd took him down. :P

Mind, Dredd took down Batman. :lol

Nah, Lobo couldnt beat Superman. The Hulk and He man have both been able to. Heck, even Wolverine beat Lobo.

Edited by Paul

I have proof of Lobo, drunk off his ass, beating the hell out of Superman in a comic book box not 6 feet from me. Superman was beaten so badly that he had to get in a robot suit and get the hell outta there and it's canon, not alt. reality or anything like that!

At one point, every drop of Lobo's blood would create an exact clone of him until Vril Dox "neutered" him.

He's died and fought god and was reincarnated just to get rid of him. He died again and went to hell where he took over and was reincarnated again to get rid of him. Neither side wants him and with his Wolverine/Deadpool healing factor on crack, he's pretty much immortal.

I would like to see him fight the Hulk though. There is no denying "HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!"

The Beyonder was pretty powerful too.

FURIOUS EDIT: Goddammit, Darkstar, you troll me with that goddamn Dredd/Lobo fight every time! I do admit that Dredd won. Although the fight with Lobo and Wolverine was a fluke and I want something more than a 2 panel fight from those two.

Also, The Mask is pretty powerful depending on who has it.

Edited by Maxximus

Lobo/Superman always ended in a Superman win when I read them. The actual comics (according to Google) were Action comics number 695 and Superman:man of steel 30.

The Heaven/Hell thing wasnt supposed to be *ahem* 'real' in the majority of the DC multiverses. In what is the 'normal' unliverses Lobo can be killed and was, in fact, imprisoned in Hell until his soul was released by everybodies favorite demon (Etrigan :P). In One Year later his soul was destroyed and he suffered the true death. That screwed up Lobo in that continuity (Earth Zero?). :P

I did some research before adding Lobo to that list, I knew this would happen. :lol

Hulk isnt stronger than The Sentry.

edit: how the hell have I never come across Captain Universe? Just looked him up... bloody hell.

Edited by Paul

FACK!

Fine, Darky did his research. I concede Lobo. No matter how awesome he is. He's not all powerful.

I'd just like to point out that the Saint of Killers would kick the a*s of everyone you've mentioned.

At the same time.

Twice.

Unless Jessie Custer told him not too.

Guest Jayfunk
Oh, most powerful comic character? Who are we saying?

Hulk?

Superman?

Ghost Rider (supposedly able to beat The Hulk if inocents are in danger, or so says Doctor Strange)?

The Sentry?

Thor?

Captain Marvel?

Martian Manhunter?

He Man?

Lobo?

That reminds me of Malrats in terms of questions

Guest Anime Otaku

Deadpool the most powerful, or at least he'd be able to find a way to beat anyone IMO! Seriously!

Anyone with an iPhone/Pod/Pad that likes comics should look up the Comixology app and the DC and Marvel apps that let you download comics for about £1.20 an issue, The Marvel one has a bunch of Civil War comics, not just the main series and Marvel Zombies, the Comixology one has a bunch of obscure stuff that's pretty good, not look at the DC one too closely yet.