Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

The Super Comic Book Thread for True Believers

dsrchris

Is it tough to get into Batman, X-Men and comics like that considering there's so many issues?

Just pick up Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men. With Batman, the best place to start at the moment is probably Batman R.I.P, which then leads onto Battle for the Cowl and then to Batman & Robin, which is tied in with The Return of Bruce Wayne which both will lead onto Batman Inc.

Speaking of Chris Claremont, I was totally hanging out with him on Friday and today. :)

So I bought the November issue of Batman Legends yesterday. I'm abit out of the loop anyone care to fill me in?

What happens in it? I don't collect Batman Legends, I get originals imported from the USA, so I can probably tell you what's going on.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
Discovered The Walking Dead comics this week. Awesome isn't a good enough word to describe them!

And just in time for the T.V. series, which starts tonight for any American readers.

I am genuinely, pants-wettingly excited to get the first episode of Walking Dead. I know there's a rip already doing the rounds, but the quality looks a bit shoddy, so I'm waiting for it to actually air before I look for it.

The comics getting ridiculously good now too. Up to issue 78 I think, and it keeps getting crazier.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, I'm not going to watch any pirate copies, I'm waiting for the real thing, on a huge TV, with surround sound, in lovely, lovely HD. A show like this is too good to waste on a laptop screen.

oh I will be watching it on telly too when it comes on - the rip I saw was pretty good quality, just shy of DVD I would say.

Damn good show. 'nuff said!

I've finally watched The Walking Dead last night, and it was fantastic. It seemed to me to strike a perfect balance of referring to the comics, while adding it's own identity. It was fun to watch it with people who've never read the comics, just to see them being all "WTF is this?".

I'm officially hooked. Can't wait for next episode when hopefully we'll meet the survivors.

Yeah, I watched 'The Walking Dead' as well. Twice as a matter of fact.

Being the cynical, pessimistic asshat I normally am, I figured there was no way that it would live up to the comic(I'm a judgmental pr*ck when it comes to media crossovers. Who am I kidding, I'm just a judgmental pr*ck). What Deeser said was right on the money. I thought it was great.

I was honestly surprised by how graphic it was for a program on A&E. I thought for sure it would be toned down. Again, I was wrong. Joyfully wrong. The gore was nice and the acting was superb. Great job by the casting crew. I can't wait to see the next episode. Hopefully the series does really well.

The great thing is, you don't have to be a fan of the comic to enjoy it at all. I too watched it with a group of people that had no idea it was based on a comic book until I told them. That in no way changed their opinion. It was well received all around.

Thank you, A&E, for another great television show.

The pilot was a 90 minute special, the remaining 5 episodes of the first season are the usual 45ish minutes. Darabont is already talking about a second season, but AMC have denied that it's been renewed yet.

I've only seen the first episode, and I've not read any of the comics, but I already want a season 2. Easily the best new show since Dexter, IMO.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, I watched 'The Walking Dead' as well. Twice as a matter of fact.

Being the cynical, pessimistic asshat I normally am, I figured there was no way that it would live up to the comic(I'm a judgmental pr*ck when it comes to media crossovers. Who am I kidding, I'm just a judgmental pr*ck). What Deeser said was right on the money. I thought it was great.

I was honestly surprised by how graphic it was for a program on A&E. I thought for sure it would be toned down. Again, I was wrong. Joyfully wrong. The gore was nice and the acting was superb. Great job by the casting crew. I can't wait to see the next episode. Hopefully the series does really well.

The great thing is, you don't have to be a fan of the comic to enjoy it at all. I too watched it with a group of people that had no idea it was based on a comic book until I told them. That in no way changed their opinion. It was well received all around.

Thank you, A&E, for another great television show.

Unless the channels are different on the West Coast, it's on AMC man, not A&E.

The early ratings are also predicting that the premier was the most watched AMC show in the channels history, with over 5million viewers in America alone.

Pretty much back up what everyone said. Yes there were changes to the comics, but I thought they added depth and expanded upon the source material rather than watered it down. Absolutely perfect casting for Rick, too.

Is it tough to get into Batman, X-Men and comics like that considering there's so many issues?
There's pretty much no continuity between story lines, so no. Just find issue one from one of the multiple series from each (X-men alone has to have at least 100 separate story lines/graphic novels) and start from there.
Just pick up Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men.
I got my Marvel Newsletter email today and there's a new range of comics coming out from them that sound like they would be perfect for you to get started, Goldstandard.

Geared for new and long-time readers alike, the all-new Marvel: Point One initiative delivers the perfect jumping on points for the biggest super hero series in the world! Beginning in February 2011, select Marvel comic series marked with a ".1" after the issue number feature full-length, self-contained stories by Marvel's top creators, laying the groundwork for the next year of storylines. From INVINCIBLE IRON MAN to AVENGERS to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, each Marvel: Point One issue of the associated series not only begin major new storylines, but also seamlessly introduces new readers into the dynamic Marvel Universe and its popular super heroes.

Additionally, each issue bearing the Marvel: Point One branding will be followed in the same month by another issue of that series, delivering new fans another exciting installment of the series they enjoy.

Below is a full list of Marvel: Point One titles:

FEBRUARY 2011

• AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654.1

• INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #500.1

• WOLVERINE #5.1

MARCH 2011

• CAPTAIN AMERICA #615.1

• DEADPOOL #32.1

• HULK #30.1

• THOR #620.1

• UNCANNY X-FORCE #5.1

APRIL 2011

• AVENGERS #12.1

• SECRET AVENGERS #11.1

• UNCANNY X-MEN #534.1

"Marvel is absolutely committed to providing new readers with easy entry points into all our comic book series and Marvel: Point One is the next step in our new reader initiatives," explained David Gabriel, Senior Vice-President, Sales & Circulation, Marvel Entertainment. "And to make sure readers can sample all of Marvel's top series, we've priced every Marvel: Point One issue at $2.99. Utilizing our top characters, top creators and employing a huge marketing push, we expect a lot of new faces in comic stores nationwide to check out Marvel: Point One. Retailers should stock up on these titles and the subsequent issues."

The biggest super heroes in the universe. The biggest creators in comics. And now, it's time to jump onboard the biggest comic book series with Marvel: Point One, beginning in February 2011!

• 2 months later...