Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Worst Boxing ref ever?

Guest Inno

[video=youtube;4mr4LIC6Bj4]

Seriously... how many nad punches were there? And how annoyed did the ref sound when the interviewer made him watch the replay? Yeesh...

Guest John Hancock
It's probably unfair stereotype of the boxing industry, but whenever I see stuff like that, I just think, "I bet someone just made themselves an awful lot of money". That's probably paranoid madness, but it's the first thought that pops up. I hope that referee lost his licence within five minutes of that fight ending.

I have seen Mora in the past but the first time I saw him make a really big decision was when he disqualified Anthony Peterson when he continuously his Brandon Rios low. Peterson was hurt, he had been knocked down and was taking a bad beating, so he repeatedly went low, either to get disqualified or to break the rules in order to get back into the fight. After about four, Peterson got a point taken off by Mora, he immediately got a second point taken off and then he was disqualified. That was the right call to make.

The second time I noticed the referee, was when one of my favourite fighters, Michael Katsidis, was getting hurt and outboxed by Robert Guerrero. In about the 7th round, Katsidis started to get back into the fight by continuously going to the body. A few hit Guerrero's trunks, which is legal, and I don't think any were low. He started to land punishing lows and was pushing Guerrero back and at that point, Mora took a point off Katsidis. He took another point in the same round for low punches. There was absolutely no reason at all to deduct a point from Katsidis and because he knew a disqualification would be next, he stopped throwing body punches, so the only way for him to get back into the fight was taken away from him.

Then there was the absolute fiasco with Mares and Agbeko. I like Mares a lot and I think he'd have beaten Agbeko anyway but the way it happened not only tarnished Mares' win, it tarnished the sport. Thankfully, an immediate rematch has been called and I highly doubt that we'll see Mora in any more big fights.

After the fight, Agbeko mentioned possible racial bias and part of the reason why I went into detail and named the other two fighters I've seen him affect, is because, like Mares, they are both Mexican American, just like Mora. Is it a coincidence that the referee allowed Mares to throw so many low shots, he made sure Guerrero wasn't taking any hurtful body punches and at the first opportunity, made sure Rios' opponent was disqualified? Three different scenarios but all favouring the Mexican American fighter. I think there was bias there, without a doubt.