Fan Clubs (beta)

Ryan Giggs

Guest HSM

Was his miss on the open goal the worst ever? If not the worst it certainly has to be one of the worst. Everyone remembers Ronny Rosenthals glaring miss but this one was even worse.

Can anyone remember a worse miss?

Peter Van Vossen, Rangers Vs Celtic. He had about 10 yards between himself and the goalkeeper, all the time in the world, he was just a step or two away from the goal line, the ball was rolling slowly towards him and he still managed to get enough height on the ball to blaze it over.

It's amazing how high he managed to get the ball. Quite possibly the worst miss I've ever seen.

Guest Pabster

Giggs needs gigs after that miss today.

You want to know of bad misses? Ronny Rosenthal's miss was awful viewing for any Liverpool fan but Vladimir Smicer had a stinker of a miss against Galatasaray last season. On the edge of the six yard box (OPEN GOAL), ball was waist height (OPEN GOAL) and Vlady jumped up (OPEN GOAL), swung his foot (OPEN GOAL) and side footed it straight into the ground (OPEN GOAL). The keeper than had the time to get back across and picked up the ball.

Cheers.

I think the worst has got to be Rosenthal, but Giggs"s was one of the funniest!, another good Utd miss, was John O Shea miskicking the ball at the end of the City match this season, when City won 3-1!, did i mention that City won 3-1?! :D

Guest The Crippler
Originally posted by Russ

Peter Van Vossen, Rangers Vs Celtic. He had about 10 yards between himself and the goalkeeper, all the time in the world, he was just a step or two away from the goal line, the ball was rolling slowly towards him and he still managed to get enough height on the ball to blaze it over.

It's amazing how high he managed to get the ball. Quite possibly the worst miss I've ever seen.

Yep good call by Russ. Van Vossen's miss was the worst miss I have ever seen. It's lucky we had Andy Goram to save a Van Hooijdonk penalty in the last minute or we could have thrown away a costly two points.

But I also think Rosenthal's miss was worse than Giggs. I felt sorry for Giggs as he did everything right before hand and all he needed to do was roll it into the net.

I still can't believe it, but it's not the worst miss ever. I remember numerous open goals missed from in and around the six yard box. Also theres one where Terry Henry was clean through at Southampton, I believe he went round the keeper and hit the post, then for some obscene reason he began "pleasuring himself" against the goalpost, I suppose thats the French for you.

Still I think Giggs made a bad decision to shoot from there, all he had to do was walk it in, or even roll it in, a player of his experience shouldn't be thinking about "rippling the net" in situations like that, just put the damn thing in it.

Guest The Vulcanized One
I think it was the worst miss in terms of importance. I mean these teams are both the biggest in the country right now, one being quite possibly the biggest in the world, both can still achieve a treble (Arsenal FA Cup, premiership, Champions League Man U Mickey Mouse Cup, Premiership Champions League) and for him to miss and then Arsenal to go straight down the other end and score put a real damper on the United team, as shown by Arsenal being all over them like a cheap suit in the second half. it will also have a big effect on morale for both teams and I think we'll either see a dip in form for United or more determination being shown by them. Arsenal on the other hand may become complacent or they may become more confident in their style of play. So, as much as i hate to admit it, united losing this game could turn out to be what gives them the drive to win the premiership.

Van Vossen in the OF game was a belter for all scottish football fans excluding gers. He missed from appox 6 yeards and gary linekar missed from 3.5 yards. LOL

Guest Peter K

Giggs had the miss of the match, but the strike of the match gotta have to go to Alex Ferguson for his ooh...couple of yards strike to David Beckham....(Sorry can't help, I had to plug another joke here).

Honestly, I probably wouldn't agree with the Giggs miss being the biggest one of them all.......

I'm even surprised that no one remembers the brilliant miss Andy Cole did when he played for Man Utd.

I remember, it was a corner kick, Beckham booted it to Cole who then had no one to beat, (He was clean) and could have booted it in the net......

Instead he booted it up to Row Z......depsite him being a couple of yards away!!!!!

And John O' Shea's miss against Man City? another suggestion, it was a corner kick again, the ball went to O'Shea who was about 10 yards away, he manages somehow to miss the entire goal.

It was later featured on "What happened next" on Question Of Sport.

These are my thoughts thats all but it was quite hilarious the Giggs miss. (depsite me being a Man Utd fan).

Guest The Vulcanized One

Here's what actually happened. Heard this off someone at another site I go to.

Ashley Cole didn't have a chance to shake hands with Beckham on a good game and was just about to enter the Man U changing room when he heard Alex Ferguson angrily say " Ashley Cole made you look like a cunt out there" to which Beckham angrily replied "Yeah well Arsene Wenger makes you look like a cunt every week".

Ferguson then responed by actually picking up the boot and aiming it at Beckham and throwing it. After this, both Beckham and Ferguson had to be restrained by the players and management from beating the bejazus out of each other.