Fan Clubs (beta)

Comic Books for Beginners?

Guest ScottyB

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there were a couple of absolutely jaw-dropping moments in it (the dogs head, and the photo from prison) but it seemed like all the little references and nods to past comic books were gone, and in it's place was 'lets see how much blood and guts we can fit on each page', with no real substance behind it. To me, it felt like it was really rushed. Shit is maybe too harsh a word, disappointing is probably better.

Having said that, Hit Girl is awesome.

Frank Miller before he went bat shit crazy was really good; the afore mentioned Dark Knight Returns (avoid DK2 though) - Batman Year One, Any of the Sin City books, Dardevil Born Again - all worth checking.

Check out Watchmen and From Hell and V For Vendetta by Alan Moore as well, the movies were good but the books are better.

Torso by Brian Michael Bendis is well worth a read too; as is classic Iron Man "Demon In A Bottle" and "Armor Wars" - and for "out there" try Transmetropolitan.

Guest ScottyB
Taken Hancocks advice and ordered Batman Year One. Part of me hopes I hate comics, because this could turn into a very expensive hobby.

Guest John Hancock
Taken Hancocks advice and ordered Batman Year One. Part of me hopes I hate comics, because this could turn into a very expensive hobby.

Oh f*ck yeah. I've spent at least £150 on comic books this year, and my Amazon wish-list is telling me I have another £150 to go before I can ever be happy or feel like a complete person.

My current to-buy/read list is;

Hellboy: Library Edition Volume 1

100 Bullets: Book 3

The Walking Dead: Book

Alice In Sunderland: An Entertainment

Marvel Platinum: The Incredible Hulk

Marvel Platinum: The Avengers

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1910

The Horror, The Horror: The Best of E.C. Comics

Chew: Omnivore Volume 2

American Vampire: Volume 2

The Walking Dead: Book 8

Edited by John Hancock

Guest Anime Otaku
If you have an iThing, Kindle Fire or other smartphone/tablet look for the Comixology app, good selection there plus a lot of titles have issue one either is free, at a reduced price or at least had a short preview available. Plus they do sales regularly too.

If you know a little independent comic book shop in your local area, then I always think it's much better to support the little Indy guy. If you've only got a Forbidden Planet or something like that nearby, you may as well buy from the web.

I'm now halfway through Avengers vs. X-men, and it's been alright so far. Nothing devastatingly awesome, but I guess they'll save that kind of stuff for the ending.

Guest Horowitz

I'd prefer to use a local store but fear a simpsons comic book guy scenario where I'd be abused and overcharged/mis-sold:(

Raging paranoia.