The Book Club

The Best Comic Book Characters

Paul

Most HATED List:

Character - Scott Pilgrim

Position - 13th (joint)

Was it voted number 1 by anyone? Nope.

Stuff and Nonesense -

What a c*nt! Pilgrim is a shallow, unfunny, uninteresting character who has been latched onto by the hipster generation who like that hes 'quirky'. Hes not. Pilgrim is a shithead to women, a poor friend, a sponger and a general failure at life. But he has video games references, so hes forgiven. **** off Pilgrim. Just **** off.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I like Scott Pilgrim precisely because he's a no good slacker douchebag. It reminds me of most of my friends! :lol

Character - Barbara Thorson (I Kill Giants)

Position - 39 (joint)

Stuff and Nonesense -

This is the first character voted for that I know nothing about. So heres the description from the voter:

Barbara is one of those kids who throws herself into fantasy a little too much. When she's not whupping older kids at D&D, she's out hunting "giants". Unfortunately only Barbara can see these giants, which makes her a point of ridicule for the other kids at school. It's only later on when you realise that Barbara is actually battling to cope with her mother having cancer that the story really hits home. A wonderfully portrayed emotional character, and while not necessarily a superhero, she has 10 times the internal strength of your standard cape wearing building hopper.

Seriously, if folks have never heard of I Kill Giants, then I recommend you go and try and find some of it to read. There's only about 6 issues, and I'm pretty sure it's available as a TPB these days. That book almost had me blubbering like a child at the end.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Character - Kurt Kilgore

Position - 39 (joint)

Stuff and Nonesense -

Another one I know nothing about.

'The main basis of the story is that there are two brothers who have hated each other for a good long time and are now forced to interact because one of them has died and is haunting the other. It's a big action extravaganza from there on out.'

Sounds like a cracker, and was co written by Todd McFarlane (writer of Spawn), so I would bet this is a great little book. You can read more about it on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunt_(comics)

To be honest, once McFarlane leaves the series as artist it's not worth carrying on reading. Not that the new stuff is bad, it's just not Mcfarlane.

• 2 weeks later...

Character - Doctor Doom

Position - 37 (joint)

Stuff and Nonesense -

Victor Von Doom, arch rival of the Fantastic Four and general menace to the Marvel Universe in general. Von Doom is able to hold his own in physical combat against foes as powerful as Spider-Man and Iron Man, and magically has been a front runner for the role of Sorcerer Supreme.

Read more here:

http://marvel.com/universe/Doctor_Doom_(Victor_von_Doom)

• 2 weeks later...

Character - Rorschach

Position - 37 (joint)

Stuff and Nonesense: Rorschach... what Batman would be like in the real world; an utter fruitloop, driven to extremes of brutality. Rorschach is the poster boy for Watchmen, maybe hes not the sanest, the nicest or the most powerful, but hes damned iconic as what he is. If you havent seen Watchmen... check these out!

NSFW

[video=youtube;qNfWlt69WKI]

[video=youtube;oAHwnaYrk0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHwnaYrk0k

[video=youtube;829QFwzutW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829QFwzutW8

Most HATED List:

Character - Captain Boomerang.

Position - 13th (joint)

Stuff and Nonesense -

Most useless villain maybe, but I didnt expect to see him most hated. Cracked.com says it all:

While most Superman stories boil down to "He punches something REALLY hard" (or in the grittier, psychological stories, "He's really DETERMINED to punch something really hard"), the Flash's stories are based on a fine balance. The balance between the colossal stupidity of his enemies and the not-quite-so-colossal stupidity of the hero, who never seems to remember that since he has superhuman speed, he could kill anyone before they even know they're his enemy, literally the instant he decides to do so.

But even this balance swung over to "wildly one-sided" when he fought Captain Boomerang.

How do you take on a hero who can outrun bullets? If you're George Harkness you think, "I'll use slower projectiles that are designed to return to me, and because I have the mental faculties of a goldfish and have already forgotten the beginning of this sentence, I will then strap explosives to these projectiles! I can see no possible flaw in this plan!"

Harkness turned to crime after an audience ridiculed his boomeranging prowess, a decision which turned out even worse than you'd expect. Captain Boomerang is considered a joke even among the Rogue's Gallery of mental patients that are Flash villains, and those guys take orders from a talking Gorilla.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_16403_the-7-most-hilariously-mismatched-superhero-battles.html#ixzz2HK7P5aL8

Guest John Hancock
Good! Captain Boomerang is shite along with the Flash and everyone else in or against the Justice League who isn't Batman.

Good! Captain Boomerang is shite along with the Flash and everyone else in or against the Justice League who isn't Batman.
Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, Powergirl (OK, she's more a personal fave) and Superman all blow your "in the JLA" argument away, while Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Braniac and Doomsday do the same for the villain side.

Guest John Hancock
Maybe I need to pay him more attention. I don't know if I've ever read a specifically Green Arrow story, I only remember him as a background character.