Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

The Best Comic Book Characters

Paul

13. Marv – 5pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/marv06_zps2d4493a5.jpg

Marv is one of the major characters of the Sin City series, and appears or is mentioned in nearly every book. He is the protagonist of the first Sin City "yarn", The Hard Goodbye, as well as two shorter installments, Silent Night and Just Another Saturday Night. He also has a supporting role in A Dame to Kill For.

In the book Sin City: The Making of the Movie, creator Frank Miller describes the creation of Marv as a juxtaposition of his two biggest influences:film noir and medieval stories. The result was the idea for a character he called "Conan in a trench coat."

In the film and A Dame to Kill For his good friend Dwight remarks "most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face. Or in a Roman arena, taking his sword to other gladiators like him."

Even for someone his size, Marv has an incredible level of strength which, coupled with his well-developed fighting skills and incredible pain tolerance, allow him to bring down nearly anyone who challenges him or breaks his personal code of ethics with startling ease. Marv is also fond of long trench coats, and immediately prior to killing someone in possession of such a coat, he often remarks something to the effect of "That's a damn fine coat you're wearing", after which he takes their coat, especially if the one he had was damaged.

He suffers from an unnamed mental condition that causes him to "get confused", which, judging from his own awareness of his illness and the effects it is shown to have, probably involves short-term memory loss and possibly hallucinations. He also fears "turn(ing) into what they always said [he] was gonna turn into- a maniac, a psycho killer." Lucille, his parole officer, supplies him with medication (presumably antipsychotics) through her girlfriend Claire to control these effects of his condition. Claire, a psychiatrist, once tried to analyze him, but he claims she got "too scared."

Chris’ comment:

Love Sin City, love Marv, loved Rourke’s portrayal of him in the film. Still prefer Dwight in the comics though…

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13. Harvey Bullock – 5pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/250px-GothamCentralCv22_zpsc6a6ee9f.jpg

Prior to the 1984-85 DC maxi-series Crisis on Infinite Earths, Bullock is a crooked police detective under instructions from Gotham City's Mayor Hamilton Hill to sabotage Commissioner Gordon's career. His method of doing so is to pretend to be exceedingly clumsy, thereby spoiling whatever Gordon is trying to do, seemingly accidentally. After inadvertently giving Gordon a heart attack, however, Bullock turns over a new leaf. His character later develops into a well-meaning cop who (probably) is exceedingly clumsy, similar to the later animated version.

Chris’ comment:

I think I prefer the way they did Bullock in the new Earth One version of Batman. Check it out…

The Batman: Earth One graphic novel features a very different Bullock. This Bullock is young and handsome, and has formerly been a star of a reality show called Hollywood Detectives. He comes to Gotham in order to get more fame by solving the old Wayne Murder case. Partnered with Jim Gordon, he at first believes that Gordon is taking bribes, but later finds out that the real reason Gordon doesn't stop crimes is because he fears that the mob will kill his daughter like they allegedly killed his wife. When Barbara Gordon is kidnapped by a murderer known as the Birthday Boy, the two go to rescue her, and they manage to do it with Batman's help. However, finding the bodies of Birthday Boy's previous victims breaks Bullock and he becomes an alcoholic (He has previously said that he had never tried alcohol in his life).

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'm off work sick so let's use this time to find out who got the number 12 slots in our countdown:

12. Alfred Pennyworth – 6pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/Alfred005_zps12549968.jpg

Alfred serves as Bruce Wayne’s tireless valet, assistant, butler, confidant, and surrogatefather figure. In modern interpretations, this has gone to the point where Alfred was Bruce's legal guardian following the death of his parents. He has sometimes been called "Batman's batman."[1][2]Alfred also provides comic relief, as his sometimes sarcastic and cynical attitude often adds humor to dialogue occurring between himself and Batman. Alfred is a vital part of the Batman mythos, and appears in most other media adaptations of the character.

Chris’ Comment

It’s nice to see good old dependable Alfred make it onto the list. The only constant in Bruce Wayne’s life for so many years, you can’t help but feel Bats would have gone off the deep end a long time ago without Alfred there to guide him. He was also awesome in the Batman: Earth One comic. And a total bada*s.

12. Hush – 6pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/225px-Hushx_zps00c2cddd.jpg

I’m gonna spoiler this for anyone who hasn’t read the comic. Seriously, if you haven’t read this and mean to, then DO NOT READ THIS ENTRY.

Thomas "Tommy" Elliot was a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's. He becomes a costumed criminal who targets both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Although Hush's name originates from a nursery rhyme, Hush lives up to it by using manipulation and guile instead of noisy "signatures". Tommy and Bruce Wayne were childhood friends, and unbeknownst to Bruce, dark reflections of each other. A childhood sociopath, Elliot tried to kill his parents so he could inherit their fortune. When his plan failed partly to the surgical skills of Thomas Wayne, Bruce's father, Elliot blamed Bruce.

Tommy eventually came into possession of the fortune that he so desperately wanted, but he had to wait years, watching his mother suffer and ultimately succumb to cancer. Twisted by his own avarice, he inwardly blamed Bruce Wayne for his perceived "good fortune" – a mentality that would one day fuel an elaborate plot to destroy Bruce Wayne altogether. Aided by the Riddler- who had recently used a Lazarus Pit and had an epiphany that lead him to realise Batman's true identity into the bargain-, Elliot set up an elaborate plot against Batman, ranging from mutating Killer Croc and having him set up a kidnapping to provide additional funds, Poison Ivy taking control of Catwoman- and later briefly controlling Superman- to provide additional security, faking Elliot's own death at the Joker's hands (Clayface posing as Elliot's body) to provoke Batman into killing him, and using Scarecrow to cause further discord among Batman's allies. During this time, Elliot assumed the identity of a man whose head was wrapped in bandages and spoke in a low voice when observing his plans unfolding, eventually adopting the name 'Hush' based on the idea that his identity was a secret and Scarecrow singing the song "Hush, Little Baby" about a boy who couldn't be satisfied. However, Elliot's plan was undermined by the unexpected twist of Two-Face reforming after Elliot gave him plastic surgery, Harvey Dent contacting the now-retired James Gordon to provide Batman with crucial assistance until Elliot was unmasked.

12. Scott Pilgrim – 6pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/scott-pilgrim1_zpsc9906c3d.jpg

Scott Pilgrim is 23 years old, living in the big city with his gay roommate, just trying to get by in this crazy world. He's in a band. He's lazy. He likes video games.

Scott William Pilgrim is the 23-year-old (24 in volumes 5-6) protagonist. He is the bass player for the band Sex Bob-omb with his friends Stephen Stills and Kim Pine, He plays a Rickenbacker 4001c64, 4003 in the film. Though initially an unemployed freeloader, he later gets a job as a dish washer (and food prep trainee) at The Happy Avocado vegetarian restaurant. The character's name was inspired by the song "Scott Pilgrim" from Plumtree's 1998 album Predicts the Future. He believes that smoking is evil, drinks "only on occasions", and doesn't hit girls. Scott seems to suffer from memory problems, which his friends chalk up to his stupidity, though the memory problems began after his break-up with Envy Adams whom he dated through college. The series also references a mysterious "dark side" of Scott's personality which he avoids as much as possible. He is initially devastated by his break-up with Envy Adams and begins dating Knives Chau before meeting Ramona. The two begin dating, but Scott is plagued by Ramona's elusive past and her "7 evil exes" led by the mysterious "Gideon", all of whom challenge him in succession for the right to date her. Despite his limited intelligence and poor memory capacity, Scott has on occasion managed to defeat his opponents through cunning rather than brute strength: in volume 2, he manages to goad Lucas Lee into performing a dangerous skateboarding trick and in the film adaptation, he successfully tricks Todd Ingram into consuming dairy products in spite of him having psychic powers. Scott is a surprisingly skilled fighter in unarmed combat and sword fighting.His hair is usually "messed up" for when Scott sees Ramona with his hair straight, she laughs. He often dreams of stupid games until Ramona tells him to get a job.

Chris’ Comment:

I love Scott Pilgrim with all my heart, but I think it’s because so many of the characters remind of people I know or have known during my time in a band. For me it’s so much the central story, but everything that goes along with it that makes this a great read for me. I recommend you check it out. The ending is waaaay better than the one they wrote for the film.

12. Glenn – 6pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/GlennComicface_zps37b85581.png

(I’m assuming we mean Glenn from Walking Dead, right? I can’t think of any other Glenn out there?)

From his introduction, Glenn had proven over the course of the series his importance to the group's survival. His initiative to put himself in danger in Atlanta to get supplies was a vital necessity for the group. His jack-of-all-trades knowledge had proven useful several times, such as being able to hot-wire a car and siphon petrol. His youth and somewhat natural optimistic, humorous attitude frequently kept the survivor group's spirits up, and his loyalty to Rick and the group made him one of Rick's closest and dependable allies. He was shown always willing to do what was necessary to keep everyone together; even if it put himself in danger.

Glenn had more obvious weaknesses despite his strengths. He often displayed a tendency to act before thinking, such as when he risked his life carelessly to confront the obviously hostile Bruce who knew who he was, and when he crashed the car into the Prison in panic, endangering himself and everyone to save Maggie. His tendency to panic was also highlighted when under extreme pressure, such as when the Governor captured the trio and beat him down without any resistance. He was disabled by pure shock and fear, and only snapped out of it once Martinez saved him.

Glenn was also not as physically able or as emotionally hardened as other members of his group, and often left the situations which needed violence, such as killing off the Hunters and Scavengers, to other members of the group. He notably never killed another living human in the series.

His athleticism and agility was utilized throughout the series, and when the group began living in the Alexandria Safe-Zone, Glenn became an ideal and effective supply runner because of these traits.

Overall Glenn's knowledge in wiring vehicles, his speed and general usefulness enabled him to survive the countless dangers of the undead, the Woodbury psychopaths and the almost lethal gunshot wounds from both Bruce and The Hunters, but his eventual fate was ultimately out of his hands.

Chris’ Comment:

Don’t read issue 100. I’ll leave it at that.

12. Saint of Killers – 6pts

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/dsrchris/87972-111221-saint-of-killers_super_zps246a6a51.jpg

Once the most feared soldier in the Confederate Army, he is now the most feared being who ever walked the Earth. The Saint sold his soul after a tragedy, so that he could continue to kill. He is indestructible, absolutely lethal, and utterly unstoppable. Little is known of the man who would one day become the Saint of Killers. There is rumour and legend, and only a few knew even some of the truth.

The Saint of Killers is virtually omnipotent, to far greater extents than is seen in comics especially for a non-cosmic character. He possesses a durability on par if not surpassing that of Superman, so powerful that it allowed him to be hit by a nuclear missile and remain unscathed and his clothes undamaged. He then simply shrugged it off and said, "Not enough gun." He is also, and was before gaining his powers, a champion marksman. He is so quick on the draw that an ordinary man cannot even watch it happen. He also has perfect aim and through many odd circumstances he has still managed to always hit his desired target. The Saint of Killers is also super-humanly strong as evidenced by the fact that he stood his ground when Cassidy crashed into him with his truck and he did not move an inch. But the power of his which is stronger than all the others is his hatred. It was his deep hatred that extinguished the fires of Hell, resulting in him being expelled from it.

Chris’ Comment:

Now THIS is my boy. The ultimate comic bada*s. Unkillable, unstoppable, never tires, never misses, just a bad, bad man. Ain’t nobody stopping the Saint of Killers. If you read Preacher you’ll find that out for yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Jesus, I clean forgot about this! I should still have the list in my PMs somewhere, so I'll hunt it down. Even if I don't do the whole spiel to go along with it, I'll at least post the results.

Here's the final results picking up where I left off (the number in brackets is the amount of 1st place votes they got):

11. Nighteat - 7 (I don't know who this is, and Paul doesn't know who it was supposed to be?)

11. Sandman - 7

11. Captain Britain - 7

10. Megatron - 8

10. Rick Grimes - 8

10. Ben Riley - 8

10. Rogue Trooper - 8

10. Venom - 8

9. Bane - 9

9. Jim Gordon - 9

8. Green Arrow - 10 (1)

8. Lobo - 10 (1)

7. John Constantine - 11

6. Wolverine - 12

5. Deadpool - 13

5. The Crow - 13 (1)

4. The Joker - 17 (1)

4. The Punisher - 17

3. Spider Jerusalem - 18 (0)

2. Jesse Custer - 28 (2)

2. Spider-Man - 28 (1)

1. Batman - 34 (0) - appeared on all lists bar one.

So there you have it, Batman is everyone's favourite superhero (except one person, who I think might have been me). But who do we hate the most? Well here's the run down for that too:

Worst:

Superman - 4

Aqua man - 3

Incredible Hulk - 3

Captain America - 3

Batman - 3

Penguin - 3

Grimlock - 2

Wonder Woman - 2

Green Lantern - 2

Jonah Hex - 2

Plastic Man - 2

Iron Man - 2

Dollmaker -1

Scott Pilgrim - 1

Black Panther - 1

Captain Boomerang - 1

So there you have it. In news that will please some, and enrage Belty most likely, Batman is TWO's favourite comic book character, while Superman is the one we like the least.

If there's anyone on the list you want to know more about then reply in here and we'll do our best to point you in the best direction for them.

Edited by dsrchris

Those are the legit results too. It'd be interesting to see if MoS changed anyone's opinions?

I'm loving Jesse Custer as joint number two on the list, too. That made me feel genuinely warm and fuzzy on my insides. :D

But yeah, definitely awaiting Belty to see this. :lol