Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Bellator Mega-Thread 2013

Guest John Hancock

Guest John Hancock

So, now that Strikeforce is officially dead, we have to go find something else to say is secretly better than the UFC, and Bellator's the only thing left. Things are already looking up, their first show on Spike almost got a million viewers and now, today, huge news has come out that they've signed Randy Couture as an on-screen talent (not a fighter), and that's he'll probably be a coach on their up-coming Bellator version of the Ultimate Fighter. I'd expect this also might be part of a deal to bring his son (I want to say Ryan?) into the company.

So, yeah, opinions, news, show stuff, future fights, gossip, all that sort of stuff, if it's about Bellator, and it doesn't deserve it's own thread, stick it in here.

SECRETLY! Bah!

I wish I could actually get hold of the shows, I only catch the highlights and such on youtube. The main enjoyment I get from Bellator is seeing Joe Warren get his face smashed in. The formats good for finding number one contenders though, makes It seem more legit when they have to earn it as opposed to being a big name thus lessening the amount of fights leading to a title shot.

Ryan Couture's contract is owned by Zuffa so now Randy has " "betrayed" " them there's not a chance they're not going to keep him for as long as possible.

I'm another who would watch the shows if I could although I hate the rigid enforcement of the "tournament winner is #1 contender" format and they NEED to be more flexible if they're going to be successful. No US #2 MMA promotion is going to get any UK television deals unless they make a significant gain in popularity, and if Strikeforce couldn't get a decent deal over here nothing can.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, that bubble didn't last log. The Meltzer was talked about how bad Bellator already dropping is, because TNA got the same rating, so people are watching TNA, then actively changing the channel to avoid watching Bellator, which is something they didn't do last week.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Frank Botch

[video=youtube;hZmqJNJ4qcY]

With added excitable Portuguese commentary. Almost Lucha like (except a different language, minor difference). I'm dying at the dude cradling Mo's head on the way down. Jesus Christ getting put over again in the interview.

I'm amazed King Mo got knocked out on his feet, him being a former Olympic boxer and all. I mean, if he was nearly an Olympic wrestler he'd use his wrestling skills instead of standing up for the whole fight, right?

That aside that KO was spectacular, and this "Jesus Christ" fellow seems to be a very good trainer. I'm surprised he hasn't tried competing himself.

• 3 months later...