Fan Clubs (beta)

Xbox One Thread

King

The reason you get releases with bugs is because marketing decided it is physically inpossible to allow your closest brand enemy to release a new console without you doing the same. They choose the dates (just before XMAS) and then the machine has to be out by then. In the old days companies released their tech when it worked because they didn't see the hardware as the ultimate battle ground. Even during the Nintendo/Sega "wars" you didn;t see Sega desperately releasing a new megadrive that had better sound and graphics just becasue the SNES had them. The Gameboy was a ridiculpous success but Sega released the GameGear when it worked with a colour screen etc and I;m sure they could have released a greenscreen version sooner.

Sadly the reason you get sh*t hardware these days is that the younger generation feel like they have to have the latest and greatest machine and parents inevitably end up buying a new console every 2 years. No company is going to go from R+D to a fully working, fully bug tested machine in that time especially when the tech people expect to have in the box changes so rapidly. If suddenly someone released an app for iOS or Android that literally every kid and teenager in the world used to game with Sony and Microsoft would be desperate to make it work with their console but that could be 6 months from launch when the product should practically be ready to go out and it only needs tweaking. The simple fact is everything is up for redesign right up until release and on that basis you are always going to get something that will f*ck up.

That said I never had a disc drive failure on any of my PS2's .. :)

I had a disc drive failure on my PS2 but I had owned the thing for five years when it died so I let it off...

Another reason people didn't rush consoles as well back in the day was because each console had it's own stable of games that were exclusive to it. In the Dreamcast /n64/PSone era the following franchises were exclusive...

Sega

Sonic

Crazy Taxi

Virtua Fighter

Jet Set Radio

Shenmue

Sega Rally

House of the Dead

WWE Royal Rumble

Nintendo

Zelda

Mario

Starfox/Starwing

Killer Instinct

Blast Corps

Banjo-Kazooie

Jet Set Gemini

F-Zero

Wave Race

Wrestlemania 2000 / WWE No Mercy

Pokémon Arena

Donkey Kong

Golden Eye

Perfect Dark

Sony

Ridge Racer

Gran Turismo

GTA

Tekken

Ace Combat

Crash Bandicoot

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear Solid

Spyro

Oddworld

Street Fighter EX

Diablo

Tenchu

Silent Hill

Colin McRae Rally 1 &2

That meant if like me you were a fan of Zelda, Rare games and Mario then the n64 was for you. The choice really depended on which range of games you wanted to play the most. Fighting, RPG and driving fans played the PSone whilst platformer, shooter and adventure game fans the n64 and the Dreamcast didn't really grasp anyone despite some unique and fun games.

It wasn't until Sega imploded as a console provider due to a lack of third party support and Microsoft entered the ring with bags of cash to change third party developers minds (as well as buying out Rare) that game series became unexclusive - before then it was only EA who provided games for everyone bar the Dreamcast due to the Saturn debacle.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Hmm, that is an interesting point about exclusive titles. I remember being more "Sonic is better than Mario" than "Megardrive is better than SNES" though that said was that because I owned a Megadrive because it came out a decent year or two ahead of the SNES? I don't know but I can say I didn't buy a console because of it's franchises. I owned a NES before my megadrive and I loved the first Zelda and Mario Bros 3.

Again I go back to the fact that you ended up being a Sega fanboy or a Nintendo Fanboy based on what was newer at the time you bought the console and there wasn't an immediate choice. I got a megadrive because it was out after NES and before SNES, had I hung onto my NES for a year or two I'd probably have been a SNES guy and a 'Tendo fanboy. If they'd both been of similar spec and released at the same time... well who knows, there would definitely have been more of a divide in the playground so to speak and that was a day when to play multiplayer you had to go over to someones house!

That's the point though - early fanboy divides were created by Mario v Sonic, Mortal Kombat v Street Fighter and when more brands became exclusive battle lines and alligences were drawn further.

For me the current consoles are no different - I prefer Forza to Gran Turismo and Halo to Killzone so for me I want the One more then the PS4. Everything else I play like Madden, FIFA, Fallout and Rockstar games will come out on both platforms but in the past depending on what media the console used (cartridge v disc) as well as who had shares in the developer (Sony with Namco, Nintendo with Rare) it would have been different and far more games would be exclusive mean fans would be more likely to wait for a console.

I was pretty much a Nintendo fanboy up until the PS2/Gamecube/X-Box era. I owned the NES, SNES and n64 because they had the games I enjoyed the most. My friends had Playstation's and before those Megadrive and Saturns and we used to do the odd week long trade so I wasn't ignorant of the games on there and played quite a few and enjoyed them BUT unless it was a Nintendo console or game I wasn't prepared to pay my own money for it.

After that I owned a PS2 and a Gamecube and lent my friends X-Box now and again, mainly for Halo 1 & 2. Then it was all 360 - again mainly due to the games I could play that were exclusive.

**Yes I realise Mortal Kombat was on the SNES as well as Street Fighter BUT only the Mega Drive version had blood and the real fatalities making it the definitive version of the game**

Guest The Beltster
Fanboys are f*cking idiots. All throughout the 360/PS3 run we've heard it, one is better than the other etc when neither are any better than the other. Both had pretty much the same games with the same graphics and the same everything else. I like both, to say you like one so much more than the other (when they are basically the same things in different shells) to the point where you won't buy one because you have the other is dumb.

That's the point though - early fanboy divides were created by Mario v Sonic, Mortal Kombat v Street Fighter and when more brands became exclusive battle lines and alligences were drawn further.

See, I think you're assuming that people bought a Sega for Sonic or a Nintendo for Mario etc but I genuinely don't think that was the case back in the day. You became a Sega game fanboy because you had that console, you back a Mario fan because you had a SNES not a megadrive. So it's not the franchise making you buy the console but because you were tied into a console (no one had both except the rich kids!) you bought into that franchise and made you a Sonic guy or a Mario guy. I definitely had no friends who bought a SNES because it would have Mario games. I think most of my mates had Megadrives so we could swap games, I only had one mate who had a SNES. Ironic really considering Microsoft trying to kill game swapping\2nd hand games when that was the thing that made groups of friends choose a console.

Anyway, my point really was that back in the day there wasn't a "choice" between the two consoles. Megadrive hit Europe in 1990 and for two years was the only 16 bit console. SNES didn't hit europe until 1992 and at that point it became the console everyone bought. That meant unless you had parents willing to buy you "another" games console you were either "stuck" with a megadrive so to speak and then defending "your" system or had the brand new system which had a fairly limited library for a decent while and less people to play with. No one was making a choice between buying a SNES or Megadrive like they are with a PS4 or Xbox1 because the systems were the same or available at the same time.

Yeah to be fair this is the first real Console War there has been as it is the first time I can remember two consoles coming out at the exact or near enough same time. The 360 beat the PS3 to market, the Saturn came out in Europe I think before the n64 and Playstation and the PS2 was out before the Gamecube and original X-Box.

Going back to my earlier discussion though, my friends based their console purchases on the games they could play. I have one friends to this day who has still never played a Mario game because he loved Sonic way more and still does to this day.

and here we go

Users of Microsoft's Xbox One console caught swearing in video clips are having their accounts suspended.

Files containing "excessive profanity" will be taken down and their owners will have access to some features on Xbox Live removed.

Microsoft said all files uploaded to its Upload Studio were monitored for violations of its code of conduct.

The review process was to help maintain a clean, safe and fun environment for all users, the company said.

Direct peer-to-peer communications such as Skype chats and calls are not monitored by the Xbox Live enforcement team, according to Microsoft.

Xbox Live, which allows users to upload media files, including videos they have made, and take part in multiplayer games, was available on previous Microsoft consoles, but the company says the new Xbox One console has a more sophisticated system of enforcement.

"As a result, if someone misbehaves on the service, we may only suspend some of their privileges," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

The XBox One was launched in the UK and 12 other countries on 22 November.

Rumours of account suspensions first surfaced on gaming forums, with one user noticing they could not upload videos after previously posting one containing a "bad word."

Ban or suspend

Responses to the action taken by Microsoft were varied.

"I question the validity of this, but the average gamer is 32. I don't mind hearing someone saying it. Free speech," said one member.

Another thought some moderation was necessary: "Game uploads get sent to everyone. You see them when you browse a game etc. There has to be some control and moderation. Your private conversations are not censored or moderated. Only what you share with the public which includes little kids."

Keza MacDonald, UK games editor at IGN.com, said new features on the latest consoles presented challenges for companies.

"What's happening with the new generation of gaming consoles is that they are increasingly incorporating social network-like features - there's a lot more sharing and communication between players, which means more potential for abuse of the terms of service.

"Both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have robust parental controls, but those don't apply to content or video that players are uploading and sharing themselves.

"For this reason both Microsoft and Sony are strongly enforcing the terms of service... which is especially important when these consoles are in people's living rooms," she said.

Users of rival console, Sony's PlayStation 4, may also experience a ban if they fail to adhere to the program's terms of service.

Twitch allows gamers to "broadcast, play and chat" using a live streaming service but after reports of people using the feature to show sexual content the company announced that any streams not about gaming or games would be moderated and turned off.

"Twitch has a very strict terms of service policy. We are very vigilant about removing content that breaks the TOS guidelines and depending on the severity of the violation we will either ban or suspend accounts," the company said in a statement given to the website Kotaku.

The service is already very popular via other platforms but the PlayStation 4 is the first console to integrate the Twitch broadcasting feature.

The PlayStation 4 goes on sale in the UK on 29 November.

• 5 months later...
Guest Vanillascooper
Guess I shouldn't complain since I got the XBO TitanFall bundle for $429. But with No Kinect its a Decent deal, The new XBO Games with Gold has me intrigued. Spartan Assault not so much, but Free is Free.