Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE Payback 2014 Discussion Thread - June 1, 2014 from Chicago, IL (#2)

TPIB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

It's literally impossible that a shaved, weeping dwarf segment exists for any other reason than for Vince McMahon to masturbate to.

EDIT: I wonder if WWE have to pay the FA for Wade to use that logo.

Edited by John Hancock

The goddamn WWE app ruined all the results for me by sending notifications to my phone through the night. It's never done that before, it's always said "check the WWE app for results" but this time it just flat out told me who won what.

F*ck you, WWE. And John Cena. Especially John f*cking Cena.

Guest FreeSpirit
Saying this now is getting a bit redundant, but THE SHIELD ARE F*CKING INCREDIBLE. I love the way that WWE still script them to look so strong. A clean sweep over a team of 31 World Championships after they looked like they would get decimated throughout the whole match. What a great great way to push all 3 men. Great job WWE and a great great match.

Guest Edgehead

That main event was great. At one point they made it seem impossible for The Shield to win, let alone win by a clean sweep. What a push for all 3 members of The Shield!

The rest of the ppv was pretty damn good too. Really enjoyed the opener between Sheamus & Cesaro. BNB/RVD wasn't bad. The Last Man Standing match was really enjoyable, hell I even enjoyed the divas match and Rusev/Big E was ok.

Overall it was a pretty solid ppv, especially considering there was no world title match

Guest HH-Evolution

Bray won the cage match last PPV...anyone thinking he was winning 2 times in a row needs a serious reality check.

Last night was destined to be Cena's win - there was literally no other WWE-styled eventuality but that!

Bray won the cage match last PPV...anyone thinking he was winning 2 times in a row needs a serious reality check.

Last night was destined to be Cena's win - there was literally no other WWE-styled eventuality but that!

And that's the problem. When in doubt, Cena wins LOL.

God forbid Cena should suffer some kind of career ending injury, because WWE have got literally nobody else with any real build behind them to use in his absence. I'm sick and damn tired of Cena. I've defended him in the past, but f*ck him, and f*ck WWE for not having the balls to do anything but the same old standard status quo bullsh*t they've been trotting out for the more than a decade now.

I'm pretty much done with everything but NXT and The Shield at this point. They're turning Bray into just another guy, and it's infuriating. They've got a genuinely talented bunch of workers at the moment who they could be positioning as the next generation of main eventers, yet they point blank refuse to do the right thing. I spent too long waiting for them to come good, thinking "they have to push this guy properly, surely" only to have it thrown back in my face each and every time.

It's almost as if they saw the success that Austin and Rock had, saw that they used WWE as a launchpad to bigger and better things in the mainstream, and thought to themselves "right, we need to make sure that nobody is that successful again, otherwise they'll just leave". It's like Vince always says "no one person is bigger than WWE" and they're doing everything in their power to make sure of that. It's completely a*s backwards, and it's annoying as all hell.

They're happy enough making some money with safe, predictable sh*t, rather than trying something new and exciting. And that doesn't even mean ditching the PG stuff. Look at NXT, that has the same rating as Raw and Smackdown, yet is an infinitely better booked wrestling show. You don't need blood, or cussing, or any of that jazz. You just need a solidly booked TV show that doesn't revert to default bullsh*t mode at the first sign of a slight ratings drop.

Edited by dsrchris

Guest John Hancock
I'm pretty much done with everything but NXT and The Shield at this point. They're turning Bray into just another guy, and it's infuriating. They've got a genuinely talented bunch of workers at the moment who they could be positioning as the next generation of main eventers, yet they point blank refuse to do the right thing. I spent too long waiting for them to come good, thinking "they have to push this guy properly, surely" only to have it thrown back in my face each and every time.

Does Bray Wyatt have a motivational phrase on a garish armband? No. No he doesn't. So f*ck you.

Guest John Hancock
Nah, it's just that John Cena has been so charismatic and likeable throughout this feud that, just like everyone else, he's won me over by standing up to a monster like Bray Wyatt. There were street parties the world over when that plucky John Cena finally won, it was like the end of Return of the Jedi.

Guest John Hancock

What a well written and logically concluded story line. Congratulations to everyone involved on a job well done.

I hope I die soon.

Guest fattyfudge
does anyone know the song used in the Evolution vs Shield promo right before their match? i had never heard that before

Well, Payback definitely taught me some things. That is the best way to put it. Payback taught me that CM Punk does not care about his fans or the wrestling business. I know that a lot of people probably came to that conclusion a long time ago, but I was really hoping that he would prove me wrong.

Another thing I learned from Payback is that the Triple H we see today is not the same Triple H we saw ten years ago. Not only did Triple H allow Evolution to be defeated in a clean sweep at Payback, but Triple H took the final fall himself. I'm not saying that Triple H has put his ego aside, but it is nice to see that he realizes what the future is in The Shield and that him burying up-and-coming wrestlers will do nothing for the business.

The Sheamus vs. Cesaro match taught me that Cesaro can have a good match with just about anyone in WWE. Sheamus is not a bad wrestler, but he is nothing compared to Cesaro in the ring and Sheamus owes a lot to Cesaro for making the U.S. Title match worth watching. It was honestly one of my favorite matches on the card. With that said, I cannot see where WWE is going with this U.S. Title run. Unless they turn Sheamus heel, Sheamus will bring nothing to this title reign. To me, Sheamus is one of those guys who works best as a heel (much like Randy Orton or Alberto Del Rio).

That Last Man Standing Match went beyond my expectations. I expected the match to be another run-of-the-mill Last Man Standing Match with a lot of awkward standing around while the referee counts to ten, but the inclusion of some awesome spots by The Usos and Luke Harper & Erick Rowan really made the match much better than it would have been had it just been Cena and Bray, one-on-one. This has been a good feud between Cena and Bray, but I really hope it's over now. They've been feuding for the better part of four months and it's time for it to end. Plus, I'm interested to see what WWE has planned for The Wyatt Family beyond the John Cena feud.

The segment with Daniel Bryan, Brie Bella, & Stephanie was interesting. That's the best way I can describe it. The segment didn't really make a whole lot of sense. If the stipulation was that Bryan either surrender the title or Brie Bella gets fired, then why did neither of those things happen? Sure, Brie quit and slapped Stephanie, but when did Stephanie become such a weakling? This is the same Stephanie that was booked in an "I Quit" Match against her father yet she runs away crying like the ugly girl in high school because Brie slapped her?

I guess Daniel Bryan is not expected to be out of action for very long, given what happened at Payback. Given that it is professional wrestling, I would not be surprised if Bryan is already cleared to compete and they are just playing up the injury for storyline purposes.

I'm a fan of both Rob Van Dam and Bad News Barrett, but I really did not care about that title match at all. I don't know if it was the lack of interesting build-up or just the differing styles of the two of them, but the match just bored me.

I was really hoping that Alicia Fox would quit after her loss to Paige. This character change for Alicia Fox is dreadful and Alicia's inability to do the most basic acting makes it even worse. Not only that, but you can tell that the fans do not care about Alicia Fox at all. She doesn't get cheered, she doesn't get booed, they just do not care and I cannot blame them. I don't care either.

Rusev vs. Big E was exactly what it should have been; it was a short, entertaining match that put Rusev over as the monster heel that he is without making Big E look like a jobber. It was a nice little match that did a good job of playing to the crowd.

Why was Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs. RybAxel on the card? The breakup angle could have easily been done on RAW or SmackDown, but it's not a big enough angle to put on pay-per-view.

I'm already sick of seeing Bo Dallas. His creepy face reminds me of the Happy Mask Shop owner from The Legend of Zelda and the "Bo-lieve" gimmick is already getting annoying.

This is a minor side-note, but I like how WWE claimed that the Bo/Kofi match ended in a No Contest so they could still say that Bo is undefeated. The fact that Kane only attacked Kofi means that it should have been a disqualification.

Speaking of Kane, it's tough to see how WWE is struggling to keep Kane relevant. I know that they are keeping Kane on the back burner (no pun intended) until Daniel Bryan is cleared so they can continue that feud, but it seems like they could have put Kane in a short rivalry against someone else in the meantime. Put Kane against Big Show or something. Sure, we've seen that way too many times before, but it would give both of them something to do.

The No Holds Barred Elimination Match was an awesome spot-fest and definitely lived up to the hype. This is one of those matches that, months and years down the line, we will look back on as a crucial match in the up-and-coming career of Roman Reigns. What started out as a "gang wars" style rivalry has turned into a clever way to give Roman Reigns a huge push and it's a tried and true method of pushing a young star that we haven't seen since the original Evolution.

Does it bother anyone else that Batista seemingly goes out of his way to stick out like a sore thumb? Triple H, Randy Orton, and The Shield were all wearing black gear while Batista looked like a Fruit Loop (and that is the nicest way I can put it). The more I see of Batista, the angrier I become. You can tell that he is not even trying anymore and he just isn't happy with his role and it shows.

I'm hoping that the feud between The Shield and Evolution is done with. With Batista leaving soon, it probably is. Plus, the feud has really served its purpose of pushing The Shield to the moon. Now they need to find a way to start pushing Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, & Roman Reigns as individuals.

Did the bell ring? I'm asking because I honestly don't remember, I'm not being rhetorically snarky. If the bell never rang, then the match would have been ruled a no contest because one of the wrestlers was unable to compete. If the bell did ring though then, yeah, it makes no sense.

The bell did ring.

Oh and this made me laugh (from the Wrestling-Online Newsletter):

BATISTA NOT HAPPY WITH BLUETISTA MEMES

- Batista’s choice of wardrobe for last night’s match against The Shield was the butt of jokes during the show on social media as tons of memes were created of “Bluetista.” The former WWE champion wasn’t very impressed with the reaction even though deep down he probably thought it wasn’t the best idea to wear that combo. “6 guys go 2 war and beat the shit out of each other and what do the genius smarks walk away with? "Batista wore blue! What a loser!”,” Batista wrote on Twitter, adding the hashtag #dipshits at the end. The official WWE 2K14 video game Twitter account also took a dig and urged fans to create their own on the game. “Listen, if y'all love #Bluetista so much, Create-a-Wrestler is there for a reason! Make him your own,” a tweet posted today said. From photoshopped with the Blue Man Group, to a blue M&M, to a Ninja Turtle, and much, much more, the Internet wrestling community had some fun busting Batista’s balls!