Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Back In The USSR: Is Rusev's New Pro-Russian Gimmick Offensive?

dsrchris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that he thinks it's in poor taste (and that he's not alone, but then pretty much every xenophobic stereotype has fallen under that cloud), however I'm saying that I think it does belong in 2014 simply because it's a Russian praising the Russian President at a time when Putin is an antagonist to Western sensibilities.

Guest John Hancock
He's saying it doesn't belong in 2014 because, in his belief, we live in a post-golbalisation world where heavy-handed nationalist-baiting isn't acceptable.

He's saying it doesn't belong in 2014 because, in his belief, we live in a post-golbalisation world where heavy-handed nationalist-baiting isn't acceptable.
Fair enough.

I disagree, but each to their own and all that.

I'm American and I've never praised the American president.
Well, the last few have been no Vladimir Putin, so it's easy to see why.

Guest Ciaran The King
because Lana is Russian, it makes sense for her to praise the Russian President.

So why doesn't Orton, Batista, the Shield praise Obama weekly

Yeah despite the fact that most American's probably don't like Obama at the moment it would still probably generate a USA! chant if anyone started praising the president, apple pie, steak, BBQ, fireworks, the US military or Kate Upton's boobs.

I actually like the pro-Russian gimmick, it is a throwback to my childhood and an aspect of silliness that I enjoy in wrestling. Yes I can see that some people are upset because the WWE is trying to make money off the back of the Ukraine crisis but the fact is several different companies around the world will be also doing the same, the WWE just has the balls to do it in your face.

Also I second Chris in his appreciation of Lana's new 'showing the goods' entrance. I love Lana and the crowds are being to as well. Look at the reaction she is getting now when she shouts Rusev... CRUSH! They can't be that excited about a side slam and a Steiner Recliner, they are just excited by Lana.

Guest Gomi

More importantly Rusev is actually "Putin" it in Lana in real life.

Let's see if Batista tries to "Putin" her also ala Melina, I sense Rusev won't sit at the dinner table and take it like Morrison did.

/TMZ

Guest Ciaran The King
Maybe WWE could succeed with Rusev by making him a bit more explosive in the ring, his repertoire is a bit hit and miss and his finisher is terrible

"A bit more explosive"?

How many 300lbers do you see throwing out spinning wheel kicks, thrust kicks, and those brutal Muay Thai knees while he holds folks against the ropes? Plus his clutch finisher is pretty much perfect. He can hold it on for aslong as need be, until Lana tells him to release.

I could understand if he just pottered about like some great big lummox, but the dude's actually really athletic for his size.

I think what Ciaran wants to see is more than a side slam and the fallaway slam, so more big "Power" moves. Which I would agree too but he's essentially in squash matches at the moment so he shouldn't bust out every move in the book. Maybe vary them a bit.

Guest John Hancock
Maybe WWE could succeed with Rusev by making him a bit more explosive in the ring, his repertoire is a bit hit and miss and his finisher is terrible

Isn't his finisher just the Camel Clutch? Or do you mean the spinny thing he sets it up with?

Has a done a sambo suplex yet? They're missing a trick with that one.

Guest Ciaran The King
Camel clutch yeah that looks pathetic, Rusev could be so much more in the ring. I really think he needs to quicken his pace