Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

How to improve the WWE commentary team?

Guest Ciaran The King

Guest Vanillascooper
I like how Jerry Lawler talks about how people dress... Jerry "The Fashionista King" Lawler

Guest Ciaran The King
The Lawler character serves no purpose in 2014, WWE have just turned him into a weak old man

Guest Ciaran The King
Personally he's not someone I enjoy listening too anymore, 97-2001 he was acceptable and with it. I could say that about Cole an JBL too, not that they need to move on but the WWE commentary table is looking a little stale at the moment

Guest Magic

WWE commentary does suck, but that's not a new thing and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon. There's not really a quick fix, they probably need a total overhaul of all the main shows.

If Punk is serious about not wanting to wrestle anymore, I'd love him at the desk down the line at some point.

I'd say JBL is more of a problem than The King in terms of crap commentary. I've never liked Michael Cole anyway, I;d much prefer it if they got rid of Cole and got Josh Matthews in to be the straight play by play guy with JBL heeling it up and Lawler being face if they are going to insist of having a three way table. I'd happily take Lawler providing colour and a normal play by play guy over the in joke cluster-f*ck that is the current line up.

Guest Ciaran The King
I liked the partnership of Josh & JBL on Smackdown a few years back, never knew why they broke it up

Guest Ciaran The King
Cole has become so annoying as he's got older, I don't think he's at all likeable

There's something irritating about Cole and I think it's because he's got this aura like he's "one of the boys", you know? Like Michael Cole thinks he is as important as any wrestler.

The most irritating thing about WWE commentary is that they can;t decide on whether people are heel colour or face colour, it's one of the few places where those strict definitions of the guy who likes the good guys and the guy who praises the bad guys should definitely exist. JBL who mocks Dolph Ziggler but then cheers John Cena before calling out Jack Swagger for cheating doesn't work.

Guest Ciaran The King

Yeah I've noticed that too, going back to the early 00's you'd have one commentator heel one a face and the formula worked.

I find Cole smarmy and heelish most of the time and yes he does seem to think he's some pivotal part of the WWE machine

Yeah I've noticed that too, going back to the early 00's you'd have one commentator heel one a face and the formula worked.
You can go back a lot further than that, with the original WrestleMania having a face play-by-play and a heel colour commentator. I'm sure Monsoon & Ventura were doing their thing on TV then too.