Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

How to improve the WWE commentary team?

Guest Ciaran The King

Guest fattyfudge

We definitely need a heel guy, a real play by play guy, and maybe a face guy to give the heel a bit of banter

What we definitely don't need is sappy JBL, "sell everything" Michael Cole and Grandad Jerry!

JBL was arguably one of the greatest heels in wrestling, so if they kept him and used him well he'd be great! Maybe they could give Alex Riley or Josh Matthews the play by play role as theyre the analytic type... as far as a face guy goes, I think that would be a bit trickier... Brad Maddox maybe, since he's out of a job at the moment

But, in actual fact, I don't think Jerry is that bad, and it would feel wrong to get rid of him after his commitment to commentary, but we just need to mix it up a bit

Edited by fattyfudge

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ciaran The King
I'd happily introduce Renee Young and Josh Matthews to the announce team, I also like Byron Saxton

Guest MegOfSharkCamp

I think the real problem is the commentary has no life because it's micromanaged to the nth degree. Watch NXT and listen to Regal's commentary and it's wonderful. He explains moves and the effect they're supposed to have (the Cesaro swing being sold by Regal's commentary is the only time I've ever believed it offensively). Then watch RAW and you get "Maggle" telling you how to use the app, JBL clearly bored and frustrated with everything and Jerry just being Jerry, which hasn't been relevant since Stone Cold Steve Austin refused to job to Brock Lesnar.

I know it's because they want the commentary to be more accessible to casuals and less "sport-like" and I know it's not seen as commentary anymore but as a way of giving key information to the audience and selling their product but... every week it just makes me miss JR more and more. Michael Cole doesn't sound like a wrestling commentator, he sounds like a war correspondent delivering dire news in a squawking monotone. JBL has no one to play off and I scarcely remember what King says these days.

Guest fattyfudge
I'd happily introduce Renee Young and Josh Matthews to the announce team' date=' I also like Byron Saxton[/quote']

Yeah I definitely think Byron makes a decent heel commentator - he antagonises the others just the right amount