Fan Clubs (beta)

This SPL... IS OVER!!!!!!

Guest MillionLiraMan

Guest MillionLiraMan

OK, adaptation of Triple H to Steph quote there but, quite simply, that's the way it is.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or do you think there is still a legitimate 'challenge' for the SPL title.

I don't, so I won't post anything until later about it because right now, I'm too gutted. Yeah so what, sour grapes and that, but you lot aren't perfect are you?!

Guest The Crippler

I'd tip us for the treble but we all know how threatening Caley Thistle can be don't we? :D

Celtic might have been thinking about their UEFA Cup match on Thursday instead of concentrating on todays game. I think the result today justifies the decision made by the powers that be to not change the match next week. I don't want to gloat too much but I was thoroughly delighted when I heard Hearts winner going in.

Guest The Crippler

Right well it is less than 12 hours before kick off in the big game tomorrow.

Celtic really need to win. If they don't then I would be pretty confident in us winning the league.

I'm really pumped up for the match and really hope we can get the win that would put us really in pole position for the title.

De Boer is the only doubt for Rangers and he has been fantastic this season so I'm hoping he can be ready for the match.

How does everyone think it will go?

Guest MillionLiraMan
Although I'm not one for making predictions anyway, I actually think Celtic will win. To be honest, I think the league is gone now anyway, and Celtic look really jaded right now and could do with having a clear outlook on where they stand in the run up to the UEFA Cup final. That is the main reason why I think they will win, I can't see Rangers losing the league from the position they have and I also don't know whether Celtic will beat Motherwell away in that other game in hand. However, just to confuse Celtic I think they will win tomorrow, and if I have to pick out a scoreline I will go for 2-0 Celtic with goals from Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
well you were nearly spot on,and we`re still in with a chance with our game in hand.good win for celtic to go to Ibrox and win.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Crippler

Yeah looks like we are.

I'm really disappointed that we have slipped up this past few weeks but I'm still pleased with the strides we have taken under McLeish. If I was offered what we have at this stage (Winning the League Cup, in the Scottish Cup final and on the same points as Celtic) at the start of the season then I would have gladly taken it.

Looks like we might have blown it though. :(

Guest MillionLiraMan

I don't know, I'm one of these Celtic fans who always suspects that Rangers will get it their way unless there is absolutely no mathematical chance of that happening. I saw the game on Wednesday and although I was squirming a bit initially, once Thuggerwell, er I mean Motherwell, went down to ten men and then Broto saved that shot not long afterwards it was nearly all Celtic after that. Who'd have thought Paul Lambert would get two goals, the second being a volleyed lob from the edge of the box? I was thinking that maybe football should have 'holy shit' chants for moments like that!

The title race has been interesting so far, I just hope that if Celtic find themselves in trouble during one of the games that they too can have a referee prepared to keep awarding them penalties until they eventually score. I was livid at that, if Arteta had missed what would have been next? Rowbotham taking the next penalty himself and sending off Ruitenbeek in case he saved it? Three penalties for one team can very, very rarely happen (think Martin Palermo missing three for Argentina against Colombia in the Copa América a while ago), but when that does happen the penalties occur over the course of the match. They don't happen in first half injury time, when the psychological advantage would have changed with a goal, then five minutes from the end of the match within a minute of each other. I would have loved it if Arteta had missed, not that it would have made any difference to the result, but because I would have loved to have seen how they could have tried to excuse giving four or perhaps even five penalties to Rangers in the same game with all bar one coming right at the end. If Celtic do go on to lose the title on goal difference this season, that would make those penalties a deciding factor in the championship. Losing the title is one thing, but I wouldn't like to see it decided by dubious refereeing of Juventus like proportions.

Anyway, great performance by Celtic on Wednesday night, who would have thought it possible? Great that the championship race has had some life brought back to it.

Guest The Crippler

The thing with the 3 penalties thing was that all 3 were penalties. I'm not sure if you saw the game, but Jim Duffy was absolutely raging at Rowbotham and hurled abuse at him but once he saw the decisions he went straight to the refs room and apologised. Same with McLeish - he was pissed off at de Boer having a goal disallowed but when he saw the replay he apologised to the ref. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were being a little paranoid MLM, but we all know Celtic fans don't like that accusation being levelled at them. :P

I just think at the minute that Celtic will probably win it - they are finding very good form at the right time and have more guys in their team that are likely to get them a goal if they really need it.

Edited by The Crippler

Guest MillionLiraMan

Well, a win for Celtic today by just the one goal, which I think was fair because Hearts certainly didn't get completely demolished, they had their moments as well, although Agathe hit the bar later on in the game so it could have been better for Celtic, but it could certainly have been a lot worse. Javier Sánchez Broto had another decent game in between the sticks, which is encouraging with big Rab being out right now, and Neil Lennon put in a good performance which was great to hear. The major worries for Celtic right now are Valgaeren, who has been really suspect for a while now, and Henrik Larsson who seems to have lost a bit of his edge lately. As is common knowledge by now though, you never know when Henke might turn up in the right place at the right time with a goal, so there shouldn't be any panic about hs recent performances for the time being.

I think for Celtic to win the league though, they are going to need the dark side to drop some more points. I would strongly fancy them to get a three goal win at home to Kilmarnock tomorrow if not by more goals, they can certainly manage two in any case. After that they are away to Hearts, which for me could be the game that decides the league. Celtic's remaining games are at home to Dundee, a side they always stuggle against and who you don't really see them hammering by bucketloads of goals, then after the UEFA Cup final they have about four days until they play Kilmarnock away on the last day of the season. If goal difference is still potentially a deciding factor in the title race, then while Celtic have that tough game away from home, Rangers are at home to Dunfermline. When Dunfermline play Rangers, quite frankly terms such as 'give up' and 'total capitulation' aren't enough to describe their performances, so I reckon Rangers will score loads of goals at home to them. Bearing in mind all of that, that needs Celtic really needing another failure to win from the other lot if Celtic are going to win the league.

Guest The Crippler

Good win for Celtic tonight. I thought they played very well which is good for them going into their cup final next week. Puts a bit of pressure on us now - we have to beat Hearts by two goals to go back on top. I'll take any sort of win against Hearts and if we play how we played against Kilmarnock last weekend then I'm sure we can get the result.

Bit disappointed Mr Duffy decided not to field his strongest possible team tonight but thats his prerogative I guess.

Anyways, Britains closest title race in years continues.

Guest MillionLiraMan

Yeah it was a good win for Celtic tonight, and a nice way to leave domestic business for the time being before next Wednesday's game in Seville. It was a bit disappointing to lose that goal at the end, what worries me is that Joos Valgaeren has been really suspect for quite a while now, and if he continues to have 'bombscare' moments then that could be exploited in next week's games, in particular the representatives at the game from Porto couldn't have failed to notice that nearly every time Celtic got into difficulties Valgaeren was usually absent from the defence of guilty of slack play and slack marking. I hope he can pull himslef together with some more concentration and composure for the two games next week. Henrik, despite getting the first goal, also went off the boil after that during the game but then he is the one and only Henke so hopefully he can regain his edge next week. Maloney played really well, and Thompson has shown some great form in recent games including tonight, so that is encouraging. Neil Lennon also played really well, and Balde was great at the back again tonight, while it was also nice to see big Johan get a goal.

That goal at the nd could be crucial though, I think. Now all Rangers have to do is win at Tynecastle and they would have the league won. Any sort of win would do them, because you have to imagine that they will win and score an absolute bucketload against Dunfermline at home, while Celtic should find it really hard going trying to get any sort of result at Kilmarnock, so they are unlikely to keep up with the goal difference if that is how it turns out in the end.

Originally posted by The Crippler

Bit disappointed Mr Duffy decided not to field his strongest possible team tonight but thats his prerogative I guess.

That's a fair point. However, that was compensated for ably by the linesman flagging Celtic offside at every opportunity (denying at least two chances where there would only have been the goalkeeper to beat, one occasion where there were two Celtic players about eight yards out with only the keeper there, both flagged wrongly among other decisions), and refusing to give a whole bunch of hand balls and other fouls by Dundee. However, there two goals I can't fault, even if I have to think that Henrik Larsson clean through on goal would probably have scored minutes earlier to make it 7-1 before the end.

Just thought I'd throw in some Celtic paranoia there just in case anyone thought I didn't really care about it. :D

Guest The Crippler

Yeah there were a couple of dodgy offside decisions that went against Celtic.

Also, just how utterly crap is Lee Wilkie?

He gave away 2 stupid penalties and scored an own goal the other week against Rangers and was at fault for at least one goal tonight.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
lol, ahahah after watching that great match, Lee wilkie was a joke, i was dying for him to stay on, pity Celtic conceded a late goal though, o well still a great win.