Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Mayweather vs McGregor

Guest Matthew Penny

Who would win in a boxing match? Mayweather or McGregor?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a boxing match? Mayweather or McGregor?

• Mayweather
    • Conor McGregor

Guest Matthew Penny

With this bout looking more likely every passing day and with rumours of them signing their official contract earlier this week - who do you think will win?

Side note - do you think this a good fight for the sport? good fight for MCG? good fight for Mayweather?

Guest Kontrolled

I think Mayweather without a doubt wins this match. Mcgregor is great at what he does, but he comes from a sport that both guys try to push the action. Mayweather's defense has baffled some of the best boxers in the world, he is so hard to hit. Everyone wants to point out how powerful Mcgregor is,BUT I hear nobody metioning that this is a BOXING match, That means BOXING GLOVES, and knowing Mayweather, more than likely 15 oz boxing gloves. Not the 4 oz gloves Mcgregor is used too. He is gonna have pillows on his fist, and if you do not think that will elimante most of his power, than your crazy.

This match is good for Mcgregor,MMA, and Mayweather.....payday for both Mcgregor, and Mayweather, and MMA has everything to gain, and built in excuses...we fought in the ring, we followed boxing rules, he did not beat us at our sport.

This match could be a death sentence for Boxing...if Mcgregor wins, and does something no other boxer could do in 49 attempts, and he's not even a student of the sweet science of boxing....boxing itself becomes a second rate sport...it becomes the WNBA!!

Guest Matthew Penny

Yeah I get what you're saying. They're going to use 10oz gloves. They are fighting at 154 pound weight, and Mayweather has always weighed under 152 so the slight weight advantage for MCG may help. I am a MCG supporter, he's awesome in MMA but the question looms if he can take that success to boxing when ONLY punches count.

UFC and Dana must be loving the huge media attention but yeah - imagine if MCG beats Mayweather, the 1 in 49-1 that would absolutely ruin boxing IMO or maybe it will just hurt the myth of Mayweather? We will see.

I am a fighting fan, so I cannot wait for this fight. I am surprised at the amount of ridicule this fight has received but still think it will smash all records for PPV buys, wage purses etc.

Guest Kontrolled

I will tell you what has hurt the sport of boxing, and I think will hurt MMA(just my opinion).... The guaranteed purses.

I think when there was a winning purse and a losing purse, there was more effort. Now just stepping through the ropes, you know you are walking out with 5 million, regaurdless if you retire on your chair, get knocked out, win, or get DQ... I think this really hurts the sport.

Mayweather always scares me because of how much he likes to gamble, and God knows Boxing has had it's share of shady "events"....100 to 1, odds are probally more if you call the round that MCG stops him..... That is the only way I can see Mayweather losing, if he throws the fight.... even seems like they are trying to drive the odds up too. With the guy sparing with MCG talking about how bad Mayweather is gonna win.....You do not normally hear the guy who is paid to spar talking before the fight.

Guest Matthew Penny

I don't know if MCG does gamble, is that allowed?

MCG will be making at least 75 million from this fight. Mayweather will probably make 100+. If PPV buys break records, they could make a lot more then that.

Guest Kevin Russell

This is my estimates

$100 * 5 million = $500,000,000 USA ppv buys

€25 * 5 million = €125 million on Europe ppv buys (€125 = $140)

20,000 seats at avg $1000 per ticket = $20 million on tickets in arena

Food Merchandise Drinks on the night = $15 million

Sponsorship for the night 10 million

500 + 140 + 20 + 15 + 10 = 585 million

I reckon both fighters should easily walk out with 100 million

Guest Matthew Penny
Agreed Kevin. A lot of people saying it ridicules the sports, but at the end of the day I think people will flock to watch this.

Guest Kevin Russell

Deffo be a lot of interest its a one of a kind night where Boxing federation goes up against Mixed martial arts

Sure its a bit of a gimmick but heck twill be an entertaing night. Hopefully as an Irishman mcgregor puts up a good fight

Still not a patch on any wrestlemania though in my eyes :)

Guest Kontrolled
Are there other fights? Are they having some MMA bouts, some boxing bouts... like a whole mixed card, or is the rest of the card filled with just boxing or MMA???

Guest Matthew Penny
Well for MMA you would need a cage/octagon style set up, so no. I have read it will be a fully fledged boxing event. But they say that even the undercard will have big names.

Guest Kevin Russell
pretty sure its just a boxing night nothing set in stone yet but talk that Katie Taylor will be on the under card

Guest Kontrolled
I mean they could make it an epic night, a mma fight, a boxing match, kickboxing match, put an amatuer wrestling bout on there.... just showcase all kinds of fighting. Now that would be a really cool card.

Guest Matthew Penny
I am just wondering what Dana and UFC gets out of this.. Surprised there isn't some sort of UFC fights on.

• 1 month later...
Guest Matthew Penny
What did we think of the world press tour? I scored it 3-1 to MCG personally. His charisma and wit is off the chart. Mayweather came across like a little school child compared.

• 2 months later...

No comment on the fight itself, people?

I personally thought Mayweather was not going to let his winning streak destroyed. As good as McGregor is as an MMA player, boxing is a completely different business and Mayweather had tons more experience. The first few rounds of the fight had me wondering if I expected too much of him, though. The fight itself was entertaining and exciting even though I wanted to see more.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest toomuchtv
With this bout looking more likely every passing day and with rumours of them signing their official contract earlier this week - who do you think will win?

Side note - do you think this a good fight for the sport? good fight for MCG? good fight for Mayweather?

What a big let down after all the hype! Mayweather walked all over McGregor. Even worst that I had anticipated. I was so disappointed in the match. There were good moments, but overall, not there! I really expected McGregor to at least show-up.

I did not watch this match but like most people, I feel that it did not live up to its billing. I am not really sure if a guaranteed purse would ruin a match but there's some truth in saying that back then, there was more desire to win, owing to the fact that it was all about the winner taking it all!

Guest deathlock

I have nothing against the dude, but I think some decency would serve him better than something like that. I guess it means he's looking forward to improving and returning to boxing world someday. I hope it's not "only" because of the money.