Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Anyone training in MMA or boxing?

Guest planetdoom

Guest planetdoom
Is anyone here actively training in MMA or boxing? As powerful as boxing is, it seems like MMA would be better for self defense on the street, since, as the name implies, it's a mixture of fighting styles from standing to ground positions. On the other hand, if you are a skilled boxer, you may not need ground skills.

Guest milyt g. planet
No, I'm not training in either, but I do have exercise DVD's that use boxing as the main source of fitness. I did one of them a couple of times and quickly realized that a boxing fitness regimen is not something that I can just jump into. It takes time to go from doing regular types of exercise on a non-consistent basis to jumping into a sport where a lot of the movements, most of them on this particular DVD, involve the arms. My arms were so sore after just a couple of times trying to work out using this method. I've taken several Taekwondo classes for self-defense, and for me they were a lot easier to do than trying to do boxing. Edited by milyt g. planet

Guest planetdoom
@milyt g. planet, boxing is extremely tiring when it's done right. The shoulders begin to burn after a while and keeping the hands and arms up, as if you're protecting yourself, gets very tiring. Add the weight of professional boxing gloves and it's no wonder boxers have such terrific shoulders and arms.

Guest milyt g. planet
@milyt g. planet, boxing is extremely tiring when it's done right. The shoulders begin to burn after a while and keeping the hands and arms up, as if you're protecting yourself, gets very tiring. Add the weight of professional boxing gloves and it's no wonder boxers have such terrific shoulders and arms.

You're right, it's tiring when it's done right, and it's tiring when it's done wrong, because I'm sure that my form wasn't all that it should have been. I wasn't wearing any type of boxing gloves, and never even thought about, until now, how much more tiring boxing can be when adding the weight of gloves to the mix.

That being said, even though I didn't know what I was doing, just following the DVD as closely as I could, I could definitely feel the burn and knew that different muscles groups were being fully-engaged. Boxers and MMA fighters have to be in great shape all-around.

Guest planetdoom
...even though I didn't know what I was doing, just following the DVD as closely as I could, I could definitely feel the burn and knew that different muscles groups were being fully-engaged. Boxers and MMA fighters have to be in great shape all-around.

Don't be too hard on yourself about not keeping good form. You're exercising and not training for a boxing match. Totally different mindset. I just know that if I had to fight 10 rounds wearing gloves, I'd have a hard time keeping my hands up, too. It's no wonder some boxers try to go for the big knockout as early as possible.