Fan Clubs (beta)

Celtic & Rangers

Guest Alan

Guest Alan
I am not sure if this has been posted before but i will anyway. Due to the current domination of the SPL by both Rangers and Celtic, do you think that both, either, or neither one of the two clubs should be entered into the Nationwide divisions or the English premiership?I believe that it would be enjoyable for the fans to see games that otherwise wouldnt happen, as it is not very often teams from england and scotland meet in competetive matches. Also i think it would generate greatly needed revenue for the english leagues. your views please

Guest MillionLiraMan

It's always something that you hear from time to time, especially when Celtic were up against English opposition twice in the UEFA Cup this season, but I can't seriously ever see it happening. I think that the only way it could happen would be for the entire Scottish league system to integrate with the English one, and that would be an organisational nightmare fitting in where everyone would go. You couldn't put the Old Firm in the Unibond league or the Conference, or even one of the lower leagues for that matter, only feasibly Division One or more appropriately the Premiership, but on the other hand it would be difficult to envisage Hibs competing in the Premiership, so it'd be a tough one to call. Also it would have an effect on international teams as FIFA and UEFA would want a UK team rather than four separate ones, and I couldn't see all four nations, more so those outside of England, agreeing to that.

The other thing is that teams who would be adversely affected by Celtic and Rangers in going to the Premiership don't want their promotion places put into question by their inclusion, and there was a proposal that the Old Firm should play in Division One for three seasons with no promotion. Not only would that make the Division One title race most likely very repetitive for three seasons, as the Old Firm have proven themselves to be competitive with the best in the Premiership, but it kind of smacks of fear and sour grapes from the Nationwide teams. That said, this shouldn't be an issue anyway, if the SPL could get TV revenue and the other teams could be regularly competitive to challenge for league honours none of these thoughts would have arisen (they didn't ten years ago). The only way it would be accepted would be if the Old Firm started at the bottom of the English league structure (which would be a financial disaster for Rangers and Celtic), or for the Premiership to admit they could use them and let them in there, finding a way to plan for other teams' promotions as well (which won't happen).

Edited by MillionLiraMan

Guest The Crippler

Yep, agree 100% with every word of that.

It isn't going to happen.

If it did happen, I think that within a few seasons when Rangers and Celtic are both getting the same television revenue as the English clubs and whatnot, then they could most certainly win the league. I honestly think both teams would be challenging from the off anyway. As we have seen this season Celtic comfortably beat Blackburn who are challenging for a UEFA Cup place and they beat Liverpool quite convincingly at Anfield and Liverpool are going for a Champions League place. And when you consider Celtic aren't even top of the SPL (Sorry, MLM, just had to get that in somewhere :) ) and they can still do that to a couple of very good English teams then I think Rangers and Celtic would be right up there.

Guest Sweatsock
Originally posted by The Crippler

Yep, agree 100% with every word of that.

And when you consider Celtic aren't even top of the SPL (Sorry, MLM, just had to get that in somewhere :) )

We are now! :)

Guest MillionLiraMan
I was too superstitious to tempt fate by saying it myself, but someone did! :) Welcome along Sweatsock, just what we need, more Celts at TWO! :xyx

Guest Goldy
Originally posted by MillionLiraMan

I was too superstitious to tempt fate by saying it myself, but someone did! :) Welcome along Sweatsock, just what we need, more Celts at TWO! :xyx

Noo we need more City fans, we have vast amounts of Celts, i'm still trying to work out why that is!!! but welcome anyway!! :)

Guest The Crippler

Yeah what is it with Celtic fans and TWO?

We have Sweatsock who has now joined MLM, Hardcore Holly, SiMania, Inno and I'm sure I've left one or two out.

Same with the Man United fans - KJ, Jerky, CVD, Holly and I've probably left a few more of them out as well.

TWO's taste in football teams is appalling. ;)

Guest The Vulcanized One

We have Sweatsock who has now joined MLM, Hardcore Holly, SiMania, Inno and I'm sure I've left one or two out.

Same with the Man United fans - KJ, Jerky, CVD, Holly and I've probably left a few more of them out as well.

Add yours truly to the Celtic list. I'm irish i have to support celtic ;)

Guest Sweatsock

It's just because we're a classy bunch. We gather in the best places.

I remember when I was the only United fan at TWO fighting against a huge number of Liverpool fans, to name a few, HBK, Verby, Inno, Pabster, Latino Reheat :smurfy and more.

How they all the gloated when Liverpool won three Mickey Mouse Cups in one year (note the lack of the word "Treble" in describing this feat).

How they've all dissapeared now they notice Liverpool will never be the force they once were, and whist United and to a lesser extent Arsenal march on to greater glory, Liverpool are left picking up the scraps, ie the Worthington Cup.

And for some reason I'm always more for Celtic than Rangers when it comes to Scotland.

Edited by K.J

Guest Goldy
Originally posted by Pabster

I'm still here spreading the word about Liverpool. :thumbsup

I also spread the word about Liverpool, just not the same one! ;) :D

Guest Verb
Who said I have gone??? I'm still here, and notice who we beat in the final of the so called Mickey Mouse cup this season Mr. KJ