Fan Clubs (beta)

Unpopular movie opinions

Boomer

I never got into The Princess Bride. Something in my brain shut down when I first tried watching it, and I've tried several times to give it another chance. Forget it. I even tried reading the book to see if that would help, and it sure didn't.

Is there a cult or other favorite film you just never really liked?

I don't think Wonder Woman was really all that great. It seemed to get a lot of praise and attention as a "woman empowering" movie, and it is good that it focused on a female superhero as the main character. However, they didn't do a very good job in actually empowering her as a woman.

She ends up falling for literally the first man she ever sees.

It requires a man to get the Amazonians and more specifically, Wonder Woman, involved in saving the world.

She doesn't unlock her true power potential until she sees her man sacrifice himself for her.

We're then made to think that she's spent the last 100 years or so single and romantically alone because she lost him.

So, stereotypical "1 true love every woman needs her man" BS that's hidden beneath the fact that she's physically superior to everyone.

@Zack T I think sometimes it's hard for fictional stories to make too much sense. It's often romanticized to a level that is too good or too silly to be true. I get your points, though; I feel the same way when I think logically.

Here is one of my few unpopular opinions: I think Big Hero 6 should've been more commercially successful than Frozen.

Guest Incredible Iron
Speaking of Frozen, I prefer the animated movie Tangled. Tangled wasn't given enough exposure to the public and that is why it is not as popular as Frozen. Frozen was overrated or overly advertised, I suppose.

Guest Revenger
I'm generalizing, but I'm not a fan of Mafia movies like the critics' darling The Godfather. I also don't really like musicals on film, but I'm okay with musician biopics.

I love the Godfather Trilogy even though some of the actings were too rough to watch. I generally don't like musical movies, but Sound of Music and Phantom of the Opera are good ones for me. Although I like the Mission Impossible movie series, I think it is overrated.

Speaking of Frozen, I prefer the animated movie Tangled. Tangled wasn't given enough exposure to the public and that is why it is not as popular as Frozen. Frozen was overrated or overly advertised, I suppose.

I also prefer Tangled personally. I suppose Frozen has more elements the viewers, especially the children, will remember for a long time: the unique characters such as Olaf, the music, the animation, and so on. They did well with the marketing aspects, as overly done as it was.

Frozen was the first time that a Disney princess saved herself. It was a big deal. I took my nieces to see it and the oldest girl was just so enchanted by that. That princess didn't need a man to save her and throughout the film, both women seemed more than capable of holding their own. It was also fantastic to see siblings who actually loved each other, so much so that each was willing to sacrifice herself to save the other. So many other Disney tales go the opposite way with family members willing to slaughter one another if there's something to be gained.

I did have one issue with Frozen. Was anyone else troubled about Kristoff's situation as a young boy? I mean, he got separated from his work crew and just went missing. Where were his parents and why wasn't anyone searching for the boy? It was treated like such a non-issue. It was troubling really.

My unpopular opinion is that the Bird Box was a dreadful and unimaginative film. Even Sandra Bullock couldn't save that nonsense.

Guest Incredible Iron
Frozen was the first time that a Disney princess saved herself. It was a big deal. I took my nieces to see it and the oldest girl was just so enchanted by that. That princess didn't need a man to save her and throughout the film, both women seemed more than capable of holding their own. It was also fantastic to see siblings who actually loved each other, so much so that each was willing to sacrifice herself to save the other. So many other Disney tales go the opposite way with family members willing to slaughter one another if there's something to be gained.

I actually haven't thought of that until now that you mention it. The "sisterly love" is what I really like about the movie. As for a princess who saved herself, I suppose Mulan not only saved herself but her family as well.

My unpopular opinion is that the Bird Box was a dreadful and unimaginative film. Even Sandra Bullock couldn't save that nonsense.

I haven't watched it yet so I cannot say yay or nay.

@Gareth The Great, Brave has a strong princess too. Just mentioning it in case your nieces haven't seen it yet. I wondered about Kristoff too. Why was a tiny boy working such a dangerous job? I kept waiting for him to be reunited with his family. It was odd how they swept that under the rug as though nothing was amiss.

I never got into The Princess Bride. Something in my brain shut down when I first tried watching it, and I've tried several times to give it another chance. Forget it.

That's hilarious and yes, I've been there. I've never been into Bettlejuice. It's a much beloved show that I've tried to watch again and again and it just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it's funny at all. Another cult classic that I don't dig is The Nightmare Before Christmas. I can only handle the first few minutes before I'm ready to fall asleep.

@Incredible Iron and @DandyMandy, thanks for the additional Disney suggestions. Being a bloke, I never gave much thought to how Disney typically portrays their princesses. I don't believe my nieces have seen either of your suggestions so I'll pass that along. Actually, I'll probably just buy both films for them since I love playing the role of cool uncle.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FlyyGurl
Any old Disney movie... I used to hate them as a little girl and I still fail to see the charm. I also don't like the new Disney movies, or even Pixar, but the old ones are so loved by anyone. Everyone seems to have a favorite Disney movie from when they were little and I just think they were all sh*t :D