Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE RAW Discussion Thread 2019

Kam

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I'm surprised they'd have Rey hand the US title back to Joe. That is the first time I can remember that ever happening. But I dunno, it is different to do it that way. Still, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Rey to hand the title over to a guy who has attacked him brutally, injured him, even threatened his son.

Charlotte is probably the least good out of the WWE's 4 horsewomen, but she's still quite good, especially with the right people. But if Lacey was the one botching all over the place, I'd place more of the blame on her. I mean yea Charlotte maybe could've done more to salvage it, I don't know for sure as I didn't watch the match myself. But if the botches appear to be Lacey's fault, I'd blame her more than Charlotte.

[GALLERY=media, 536][/GALLERY]

Still remember this from the Rumble :roflmao: It seems like they're happy to push Lacey like crazy...but not many of the other NXT stars who should have deserved a decent shot.

It's not unusual for WWE to push someone hard who may have a look they like or portray a gimmick really well, and Lacey has a good look and owns her gimmick. That oftentimes will cause the WWE to push someone beyond their wrestling ability and either they grow and improve (Braun Strowman) or they don't and they fizzle out (Ezekial Jackson).

I should be happy that The Revival are champs again...but I'm just feeling meh!

We got Lars vs Lucha House Party again - I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to see that again next week...

Baron's still getting title shots :sleep:

Yea, I want to be happier about the Revival regaining the tag titles, but given the way they've been treated lately I don't have high hopes for them being portrayed as serious champions. I kind of expect them to retain against Hawkins/Ryder, then the Usos, then get smashed by the Viking Raiders.

So Charlotte is supposed the be the best wrestler in the world but didn't know what to when Lacey was botching, proved that Charlotte is only good when her opponent knows how to work.

I think a lot of is just a lack of chemistry and compatibility though between the two. Taker and Goldberg knew each other for years, seemed to actually get on well together, and are both incredibly talented, but look what a mess that turned out to be in Saudi Arabia.

The most amazing female wrestler at the moment who handles botches well is Asuka and I wish she'd get moved to RAW where she'd be useful. She needs more screen time.

Goldberg seems to have knocked himself out or gotten concussed during the match with Undertaker. Before that, it was going pretty good. But around the time he rams into the turnbuckle post, it all falls apart.

@Zack T Yeah, I get all that, but Taker didn't recover/hide it well that things had gone south. I mean if Charlotte Flair is expected to anticipate and make up for Lacey Evan's botches, surely a legend like Taker should be held up to the same standard. I'm not a massive fan of Charlotte's, but I don't get the hate. Really, I think Taker did what he could but he looked disgruntled and aggravated with the whole thing. I don't know. I just don't see much of a difference. The truth is that very few wrestlers handle/recover botches and unplanned injuries well. It takes the right combo of people too.

There's a big difference between dealing with someone who's presumably fully conscious in Lacey Evans, vs someone who's been knocked out/possibly concussed in Goldberg.

Look back at Miz vs John Cena from Wrestlemania 27 when Miz got concussed midway through it, or Brock vs Taker at Wrestlemania 30 when Undertaker got concussed midway through it and you'll notice a pattern - If someone suffers a concussion mid match, it goes off the rails. Can't really be helped, given that the other person is AT BEST on autopilot, and at worst barely functional.

And I don't really expect Charlotte to make up for Lacey Evan's botching. What I'd expect is her to be able to help guide Lacey to a somewhat decent match, but sometimes the chemistry just isn't there for any number of reasons even if the talent is. I mean just because AJ Styles is really good doesn't mean he's gonna get good matches out of Baron Corbin.

• 3 weeks later...

That was an interesting Raw!

Opening with a nice little brawl. I thought they went a little OTT with the pyro during the stunt. With Graves shouting 'holy shit' (without even trying to censor it) you knew the night was going to be different to the usual Raw. I didn't like the sombre announcers afterwards - I think they should save that stuff for when there are actual accidents. I can still remember when Owen died and when King had his heart attack, always reminds me of stuff like that.

So Viking Raiders are heels then? The Samoa Joe attack would have been better if he had been built up better, but for now, it didn't really mean anything (he's had SO many losses on PPV). I don't see Joe as a threat to Kingston, when I really should.

I'm liking the Maverick/Truth angle - some nice funny moments. Although I'm getting a little sick of seeing the same group of superstars constantly made to look like chumps chasing Truth.

I REALLY don't understand the need to bring the Street Profits up? They can't book the tag teams they've already got, why add another one in!

The Maria/Mike Kanellis stuff was a surprise! I knew they had resigned but I didn't know she was actually pregnant again. I wonder when WWE found out - after they signed their renewal? When they first debuted together, she announced she was pregnant soon after, which I thought might piss off some at WWE. For it to happen a 2nd time, hmmmmmm. Calling Mike her bitch was a WTF moment. Then for her to lay into him like that during the match, I wonder if we'll actually see a big angle with them now. Although it still feels weird since they've been hardly used - besides their recent 205 LIve run.

They've hinted at the AJ/Club heel turn for some time now, so that wasn't a surprise. Hopefully it's not too late for Anderson/Gallows, fans need to see them as a genuine threat.

Overall - the first Raw in some time where I'm actually interested to see what happens next week, that has to be a good thing :)

Edited by Kam

That elimination stipulation on Seth/Becky vs Andrade/Zelina made no sense. The only reason I can think for the elimination stipulation was to allow a commercial break between "eliminations" to keep in line with this new mandate about commercial breaks during matches.

But it made absolutely no sense. What if Seth eliminated Andrade, but Zelina eliminated Becky, then what? Seth vs Zelina? We know that ain't happening, it's gonna be a clean sweep one way or the other. I doubt that was Heyman booking.

I watched all of Raw but only half paid attention to it as I was playing games on my other monitor. I thought it was kind of surprising to have Rey come back, only to lose to Bobby Lashley. Especially since I'd be willing to bet Braun's gonna beat him at Extreme Rules. But whatever, Rey's kind of left out. He did have a US title feud to return to with Joe, except Joe lost the US title to Ricochet and moved on to the WWE title, so him and Rey's feud seems to be over with no real conclusion...and that's weird, given how personal it got.

I thought maybe they'd do Ricochet vs Rey Mysterio, which would be a pretty cool thing to do. But instead we're doing Ricochet vs AJ, which is also really cool to do but what is Rey gonna do now?

Baron/Lacey are awful together.

I appreciate the continuity of progressing this Mike/Maria pregnancy story, but I'm also not enjoying it at all. It feels super awkward and stupid to me, and I wish they'd use that continuity on something else.

I love Nikki Cross when she's being a crazy chick who doesn't talk on the mic, just runs around like a lunatic. This friendship angle with Alexa makes no sense for her character, and I'm not enjoying Nikki on the mic. I think it's more to do with her lines than with her accent, and with the fact that I hate the story. But still, talking so much doesn't really suit her character.

Was glad to see Cedric and Cesaro get highlighted, though.

Drake Maverick and R-Truth were basically the highlights of Raw.

The Bray moment was cool, the mask looks terrifying but I don't have much faith in them running with it. I would have preferred for him to go after someone other than Balor though. I can see him beating Balor at SummerSlam...but like Samoa Joe, never winning the big one.

Yea, Balor has reportedly asked for time off, so I imagine he'll lose to Bray at Summerslam and then disappear for a couple months.

Bray was off TV for almost an entire year. I feel like they only took him off TV for a minute to figure out where to go after him and Matt Hardy's team came to an end since it seemed Matt might've been retiring at that point in time, but then it just kept on going...

Raw basically said "What wild card rule? What draft split?" this week, for no reason. If your plan was to give Seth his rematch against Brock, you didn't need to bring over a bunch of Smackdown superstars to put in the match. Would've been just fine to have had a Raw superstars battle royal instead.

The brand split is so meaningless right now. I legit don't even know what show several superstars are actually on because they've never stopped going back and forth and I can't remember anymore. Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross especially, who knows?

Edited by Zack T

• 2 weeks later...

The show has improved...but it still has a long way to go. I still don't care enough about the superstars and they still seem to be doing a rubbish job of building heels up (Brock and Charlotte seem to be the exceptions).

I thought the Brock beatdown of Seth was good, looked pretty brutal.

I hate 'The OC' name. I thought the AJ celebration was really cringey too.

Thought the 24/7 title stuff was good, although that scene with Maria and Braun with him just growling was another cringey moment. I wonder who's going to take the title off her, I can't imagine she'll hold it for long...