Fan Clubs (beta)

No Animals Were Harmed In This Film

Guest Revenger

Guest Revenger
How do filmmakers show animals being hurt in the movie, but not actually hurting them during the process? I've seen many war films where they used horses to fight battles. The scene where the horses were stabbed and killed looked so real.

Guest RegentLennox
Modern film-making techniques and equipment are so advanced that they can make scenes seem very realistic. Furthermore, professional animal handlers and vets may be on set to make sure the animals used in such movies stay unharmed.

Guest Meerkat
That was a nice link, Salome. I'm glad that the film industry takes good care of the animals involved in the films. Animals are good actors in their own right.

Guest Revenger
Thanks for the link, but I did not see the process of how the animals were not harmed in a very violent scene. The production crew may have used CGI to show that the animals were hurt, but were actually not real.

Yeah, they don't have every movie, but I think it gives a good overview of how they do certain stunts without causing harm. I actually found the site because I was curious how they did the stunts in Sleepwalkers. (Answer: Well-trained kitties and some fake ones.)

It's the same with horses, I think. There are stunt horses who have been trained to do things like fall on cue and the rest is practical effects plus CGI, probably. Like, here's a line from their review of True Grit: "After being cued to lay down, the trained horses were then replaced with stuffed prop horses to make it appear as if the horses were injured/killed."

Guest Revenger
Then I guess I have to give the praise to the director for filming a scene showing a horse, or any other animal, that is killed but not harmed in real life.

I mean, how do they show humans dying and being harmed in movies without actually hurting them? Or heck, how do they show space in movies like Interstellar without actually going to space?

Special effects and clever camera tricks you freakin potato, what the heck do you think? Why would it be any different whether you use an animal or a human? Animals may not understand what's going on like we do, but they can still be trained to emulate behaviors we're looking for. Add in special effects, swapping out for prop-animals, and you're all set.

• 1 month later...
Guest Revenger
I know the animals were not harmed during the filming. I'm only wondering how they made it looked real. There are behind-the-scenes videos with human actors, but I haven't actually seen videos on how they film animals.