Fan Clubs (beta)

Computer Illiterate

Classified

Guest Chuckyy
I don't know a single person who doesn't use the internet. A computer, yes, but not the internet. It's almost unavoidable in this day and age to not use the internet, but I guess some people must do it.

My grandparents don't use a computer. I know my granddaddy has a smart phone, but as far as I know he only uses it for calling, he doesn't know how to text last I knew.

Some of my family down there in TX don't hardly ever use computers or internet, but they do a little bit to help with their work. But at home in their personal lives? Nope.

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my family down there in TX don't hardly ever use computers or internet, but they do a little bit to help with their work. But at home in their personal lives? Nope.

That sounds like some if the more modern Amish sects. Whether they have a woodworking shop or dairy farm, they will keep a computer in their workshop for ordering and such, but no personal use.

My grandparents use the internet pretty regularly, but I have relatives in rural areas without the internet. It just isn't an option for them.

I know my granddaddy has a smart phone, but as far as I know he only uses it for calling, he doesn't know how to text last I knew.

Why doesn't he just get a cheaper phone then? I can't imagine paying for a smart phone and just using it to make and receive calls.

Smart phones ARE pretty cheap these days. You can get them for nearly as cheap as a flip phone, and you can get such a basic plan that you're not paying for stuff you don't need (like unlimited data). I mean you can get a free iPhone 5c out here with a new plan if you wanted to, they're budget friendly smart phones.

My grandparents aren't Amish :P But I get the way that sounded. It's not so much that they're against technology, they're not. They just are used to using what was normal when they were growing up/young adults in the 30's through 60's. So phones, electricity, ovens, plumbing, cars/farm equipment, airplanes, even TV, that's all normal (although they've never been huge on TV watching but they do have one). It's mainly just about the computer, they don't mess with that.