Fan Clubs (beta)

How do you feel about Mother's Day?

ShadowEdge

I checked to make sure that the UK celebrates the holiday too before making this thread since the forum is based there. We Americans just celebrate the holiday a little earlier in the month. From googling I learned that many countries actually celebrate Mother's Day just on different dates, so it looks like we're all in on this together. How do you feel about Mother's day? Is it something to dread, something to look forward to, or something you ignore? If you have kids, how do you guys celebrate the holiday?

I have a narcissistic mother and our relationship has always been tumultuous. Mother's Day is like this huge test. Prove your love or else. Yuck! I haven't even bought her a gift yet. I need something that appears expensive enough for her, but won't require more effort from me down the road. I bought her an iPad Pro last year for Mother's Day and it was a nightmare. She called day and night needing me to help her with it. Needless to say I'm dreading the occasion!

I'm sure Mother's Day is hard for those who have already lost their mom and those who are estranged from their mother. I bet it's tough to handle and I wish you nothing but peace.

• Heart 1

I get on well with my mum. She's fairly easy going though, and appreciates anything her kids do for her. Is it common to spend that much on a gift? I'm in Wales and maybe Mother's Day just isn't as important here, because I don't know anyone who would drop that much spare cash on a posh Mother's Day gift.
  • Heart 1

I have a narcissistic mother.............I need something that appears expensive enough for her, but won't require more effort from me down the road.

She's narcissistic? Get her a mirror. :D Seriously. It's all about her, you can find them high-end and how can you get more low-maintenance than a mirror?

Me and mom get along fine. I always get a really nice card. She loves them.

She's narcissistic? Get her a mirror. Seriously. It's all about her, you can find them high-end and how can you get more low-maintenance than a mirror?

What if her mum wants her to hang it? I bet you didn't think about that. I only did because my mum can't hang things straight and always needs help with it. She's sweet as can be so I don't mind though.

@ShadowEdge I think you should get her a nice necklace and earring set. A ring, watch, bracelet or something like that will have to fit and thus, could be a headache if you have to return it for her. A physical gift card would work too. I usually just spend a few pounds on flowers. I think the nicest I've done for mum was to take her for afternoon tea.

@Dust and Rust and @Snarky-Guru you both made me chuckle and I appreciate the laugh and helpful gift advice. They do make freestanding floor mirrors. Maybe I'll get her one of those and pair it with a set of earrings and a necklace.

@Ogmore mothers in the U.S. are idolized and vilified, revered and shamed, all at the same time. I suspect that's true in most of the western world. I've never considered how much is common to spend on the holiday. I just know my mother demands...well, everything.

That's sweet of you to ask, Snarky-Guru! I wound up getting her an antique cheval glass mirror and a topaz jewelry set. She liked her gifts, but she was upset that I didn't include flowers and that my card wasn't effusive enough. She would be miffed no matter what. The best part is that she'll have no need to contact me again about her gifts like she did with that iPad. I'd say that's a win! I'm just glad my gift giving obligations are over until December which starts the cycle over again with Christmas.