Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Read any autobio/bio/tell-alls?

ShadowEdge

I just finished reading Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask and it was good enough for a light read. There's some poor editing and I question some of the facts because he's responded differently in interviews, but overall it's worth checking out if you're a fan of his. I particularly liked the bits about his unmasking on WCW. That was one of the most memorable matches I've seen. I was so upset when it happened.

Have you read any of the industry tell-alls, autobiographies, or biographies? After finishing that book I'm looking for another.

I've read Edge's book and Hulk Hogan's book that I remember...both of those are early 2000's published.

I've heard Foley and Jericho's books and Bret Hart's first book are really really good.

Mick Foley (Mankind) has written many books and he's quite talented at it. He supposedly did it on his own instead of hiring a ghostwriter like most celebs do. My favourite of his is Have A Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks. He shares many personal stories, seems incredibly genuine, and was obviously passionate about wrestling. I was born in 1989 so I wasn't around for some of the events in the story, but it's still an interesting read.

Another entertaining book is NITRO: The Incredible Rise and Inevitable Collapse of Ted Turner's WCW. The WCW/WWF Monday Night Wars helped spark my love for wrestling entertainment. This book is a fascinating, inside look to that era.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Mankind's first book. He's a good storyteller! Next I plan to start on Hart's first book. You guys gave good suggestions. Mankind's book is an even better read than Rey Mysterio's.

• 2 months later...
Guest PHEADLEY83
Mick Foleys Have a nice day is a great read. Hogans I feel is filled with lies. I started reading HBK’s but most of his life is well documented so I didn’t see the point in finishing it.

Mick Foleys Have a nice day is a great read. Hogans I feel is filled with lies. I started reading HBK’s but most of his life is well documented so I didn’t see the point in finishing it.

How so? Does he make himself out to be a big hero, perfect wrestler? Did he discuss the rampant steroid use? I think he's written more than one, but I haven't read any. I'm intrigued now.

During the past month I started reading some of Mick Foley's books and watching some of his old matches. I really wish I hadn't as I'll never be able to look at The Rock the same. Mike Foley agreed to some crazy stunts during his career, but The Rock took it way too far and beyond what had been discussed. He was never meant to hit Mankind in the head with a chair 11 times. It was obvious that he was inflicting serious damage all because The Rock lost control.

Hey @PHEADLEY83 welcome to the forum! I've wondered whether any of Hogan's books are worth reading so that's nice to know. Thanks!

. . . The Rock took it way too far and beyond what had been discussed. He was never meant to hit Mankind in the head with a chair 11 times. It was obvious that he was inflicting serious damage all because The Rock lost control.

I can't remember where I heard this, but I believe there's more to the story and they both messed up. Mankind was supposed to retreat, but instead of retreating he kept charging at The Rock for some reason so The Rock kept nailing him with the chair. It did seem like The Rock should have stopped, used a lighter swing, hit him on the back instead of the head, but he didn't, and as far as I know, The Rock never got into trouble for it. Mankind shouldn't have kept charging and should have said he gave up or whatever the key phrase was to stop the match (that was the match gimmick). It didn't help that his wife and kids were in the audience bawling. But if you think that's rough, you should see what happened to him at ECW CyberSlam 1996. That was one of the most brutal matches I've seen. Mikey Whipwreck and Shane Douglas walloped Cactus Jack.

Archived