Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

The face of AEW?

Ogmore

Who do you think will become the Roman Reigns and Becky Lynch of AEW? I'm not sure about the women, but for the men I was initially leaning towards Chris Jericho who has a big name, plenty of experience, and connects well with the crowd. However, I believe he is 48 or 49 so I doubt AEW will take a gamble on someone who might retire soon. I'm sure he'll get pushed, but I doubt he'll become the face of the promotion. So, who do you think AEW will stick out in front? Who would you pick if it was your decision to make?

My opinion is that Chris Jericho is likely going to be the first AEW World Heavyweight Champion. If not now, then never because of his age. Right now, Jericho can still put on good matches, he's as clever as he's ever been, and the name value he has would be a perfect inaugural champion.

After that, it's hard to say for sure. The other guys who I'd say are standing out in singles competition right now are Kenny Omega, Adam Page, Kip Sabian, Cody, Shawn Spears, MJF, Darby Allin, and Jon Moxley. They have to be very careful with how they push Omega, Page, and Cody due to their deep personal business-side involvement with AEW, don't want to make people think they're being unfairly favored.

But I'd see Kenny Omega as "the guy", as well as Jon Moxley probably too. Not that the others couldn't attain it necessarily, but those are who I'm really drawn to. Well, them and Shawn/MJF. I love everyone I listed, but those are who I feel has the most main stream potential.

Right now Kenny Omega is my favorite AEW singles wrestler, but man it's close between him and MJF, Shawn, Cody, Darby, and Moxley.

I don't think AEW will pick someone with close ties to the origins of the company. Not a heavy investor, company executive, founder, or whatever. That would be too similar to a WWE move and if that happens, why would talent sign with AEW? Those wrestlers might as well stay with WWE or one of the other promotions that have been around much longer. I think AEW will attempt to set itself apart by going in another direction. They'll be more "fair". So I'm going with Jon Moxley. He's already got a big name and lots of experience. He's great with promos and crowd interaction. He sure seems happy and ready to take on the wrestling world since he left Vince behind.

@Zack T You named just about every guy. You gotta narrow that list down. Well, I'm not the OP, but I'm genuinely curious as to who you think it will be since you've been following them for some time. Can you at least go top three please? I initially dismissed the rumors that AEW was ever going to be a thing. I'm glad I got that one wrong.

AEW need to not put a name overly associated with WWE. They dont need anyone who could be called a 'WWE reject' (rightly or wrongly) to be seen as better than 'their guys'. Dont get me wrong, keep them strong as it adds value to them being beaten.

Thing is, they are trying to angle at the smark crowd and sparks tend to hate someone in a position of power pushing themselves. See HHH circa 2002 (perceived or real). Cody would be beat utilised as a constant gatekeeper.

I didn't put 1 name because I think it's really hard to pick a stand out guy already.

But I'd wager Chris Jericho being the face of the company as it's first champion for awhile, but I think Kenny Omega may be the ultimate face of it. At least for me. If not him, then Jon Moxley.

• Heart 1

Cody and Brandi Rhodes

Does she wrestle or is she just his valet? They get a lot of face time and I know Brandi Rhodes can wrestle just wasn't sure if she was featured often as more than his valet.

I'll catch the next PPV on the 31st.