Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Reasons for retiring

coleman

Most sportspersons retire at the climax of their careers. Khabib Nurmagomedov, the Lightweight UFC champion boasts one of the best records. According to him, staying undefeated is no mean fete. He plans to retire in two to three years because "a lot of young and hungry guys are coming."
  • Heart 1

I've wondered about this too. Maybe they want to go out on a high note. I imagine that once you're winning quite often, the thought of losing can be panic inducing. And perhaps the athlete returns because they missed the sport and the action so badly. Then again, a part of me thinks it's all just a publicity stunt and a way to make more money. They make bank on that last event and bank when they return.

Really though, I think boxers, professional wrestlers, and MMA fighters aren't as quick to retire as they do in other sports.

Really though, I think boxers, professional wrestlers, and MMA fighters aren't as quick to retire as they do in other sports.

Isn't the vice versa true considering that MMA and boxing are contact sports? Anyone has the right to retire at the time of their choice, but like you all say, at times they do it as a calculated move. It seems like everything involves money nowadays!