Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Worst fights in MMA history

lymmo

Mickey Gall vs CM Punk occurred on the PPV portion of the UFC 203 fight card, and most fans expected the former WWE champion to put up a good show. Instead, CM suffered a terrifying beat-down from the very first minute.

Gall soon advanced position and lured him into submission via a Rear-Naked Choke, in the first round. Most fans were in utter disbelief!

Eh, most crossover fighters/wrestlers struggle in my opinion. It's rare to find one who is great at both. Punk is still awesome.

For my answer, I'm going with the two most emotionally charged bouts I've ever witnessed. The first was during UFC 119 when it was Frank Mir vs. Mirko Cro Cop. Both Mir and Cro Cop seemed to be nearing the end of their careers, didn't want to get hurt, and didn't want to lose. There wasn't much to it really until the knockout win by Mir in the third-round. It was rough.

The second was during UFC 207 when it was Ronda Rousey vs. Amanda Nunes. Both women had something to prove and poor Rousey looked freaked (to me) from the get go. She hates to lose and defeating Nunes was supposed to be her great redemption after losing to Holly Holm. The tension was palpable. Poor Rousey went down in 40- some-odd seconds. She was understandably devastated. I felt horrible for her.

Eh, most crossover fighters/wrestlers struggle in my opinion. It's rare to find one who is great at both. Punk is still awesome.

Most of them do, with a few exceptions like Brock Lesnar, Alberto Del Rio and Bautista. Others like Nathan Jones were neither accomplished wrestlers nor successful mixed martial artists. Do you also recall Bobby Lashley?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Francis N'Gannou vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 226 in 2018. Both fighters were known to be heavy punchers who weren't afraid to brawl. The fighters gave us a fantastic buildup before the competition trading shoves and barbs. Their match was one of the main events. And after all that hype and interest the match itself was one of the dullest I've seen. They didn't throw down and go at each other as expected. The whole thing was strange. Lewis prevailed, but it was nothing to brag about.

What is a bad fight in your opinion; one that didn't last for long or that was bloody? I would say both.

Blood is just part of the game and sometimes, a quick TKO is what makes the bout memorable. To me, a bad match is one that doesn't meet expectations which is entirely subjective of course. Lots of people hate short bouts and will agree with you that it makes for a bad match.