Fan Clubs (beta)

Joining a book club

didge

Last year, I kept wondering about the whole point of a book club. However, towards the end of last month, I started looking at it as a way to read more and get the much-needed push to finish a book quickly. Do you belong to a book club and if so, how beneficial has it been?

...........my girl belongs to one and she loves it. She's made many close friends through the group too.

That's a very good thing. Two good things, actually. What a pleasant way for a young girl to meet a suitable "suiter", if you will. Gives me hope for the next generations coming up the ranks.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I could last at a book club. Even when I'm reading for fun, I either get obsessed and read the book overnight – or get through maybe a few pages a week.

It took a lot of convincing for me to join one. I belong to one where discussions take place online. It is more tasking when it becomes mandatory to meet at a physical location.

I can see how it might be a good thing for some people, especially in regards to forcing you out of your comfort zone with what you read. But, it's very much not for me. I can spout pretentious, pseudo-intellectual bullshit with the best of them if I really have to (by which I, of course, mean their deep and meaningful insight into the mind of the creative and the unique paradigm their world building presents to the reader...) , but I can't abide being made to listen to it from other people. I had quite enough of that in tertiary education, thanks...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I used to be a member of a book club. Not anymore because I didn’t really enjoy the atmosphere there. But it depends on the individual I guess. I have some friends who really like book clubs and are still active in those they have joined.

I love to read and I love to be social. I have not joined a book club yet but I would if there was one in my area. I'm pretty particular with what I read so I'm not sure I would like someone picking the book that I had to read.

The major downside of any book club is people will have different tastes and preferences, and this may not match ours. The upside is that there is some discipline that results from having accountability partners.