Fan Clubs (beta)

Coronavirus

headrush

Has COVID-19 affected businesses, schools, and other areas where you live? Nothing different in my neighborhood so far, but I know that Chinatown has seen a big customer drop. I know one friend near me who is avoiding leaving her house as much as possible.

I'm in Oklahoma and so far we haven't had any changes. We are starting to see cases pop up in the US though, so it might be coming. I read earlier today that we're around 100,000 cases worldwide, so to put that in perspective, less than 1% of the world's population has been infected. Far less than 1%, even. And out of that 100,000 or so, only about 3300 have resulted in death. So the fatality rate is roughly 3 or 4%. While the normal Flu does kill less than 1% of the people it infects, we're still talking a low mortality rate. Some folks estimate it even lower than 1%, depending on who you ask.

So for now, not much to worry about. Just try to be good about washing/sanitizing hands a lot I guess.

Yeah. Regular precautions, as if you and your closest have colds, are reasonable. I don't see the need to panic buy loads of toilet paper (which seems to be shopping item #1) and bottled water. Guess it never hurts to stock up on some anyway? Also, it's disappointing hearing about price gouging on hand sanitizers.

There hasn't been much disruption near where I live, but no one is taking chances. I don't recall (in recent times) any pandemic that has caused so much panic across the globe as the COVID-19 has. What are thoughts on the notion that it could be a biological weapon? Hopefully, we will see an end to it!

I just wash my hands regularly and feel like that's enough. I have a pretty good immune system, so I'm not too bothered. I feel for the people who are in the center of the disruption though.

@jack25, it doesn't seem like it would make a good weapon for biological warfare. It doesn't do that much damage. Some people die, and I know that's awful, but it's hardly loads of people that it kills. Some people have mild symptoms and some don't even show symptoms at all. That's hardly worth the concerted effort it would take to use it for biological warfare.

It is crazy hearing about events and in Italy's case, whole regions shutting down. I wonder if the Tokyo Olympics will get delayed or cancelled.

I suppose it won’t be cancelled, well there is a possibility that it will be delayed... The virus can‘t survive when the temperature reaches certain level. I don’t exactly remember, but surviving the summer in Asia is pretty unlikely for the virus.

Yeah, I'm in NY and our Governor just said all SUNY colleges will switch to online for the rest of the semester.

People are buying all the toilet paper and water here too. No documented cases near me in Upstate NY. I'm sure it's only time until there is.

It is crazy hearing about events and in Italy's case, whole regions shutting down. I wonder if the Tokyo Olympics will get delayed or cancelled.

Italy seems the worst hit with a lot of disruption in a lot of activities in the country. The Serie A stands suspended, with games set to resume on April 3rd. How soon before we see an end to this?

@jack25, it doesn't seem like it would make a good weapon for biological warfare. It doesn't do that much damage. Some people die, and I know that's awful, but it's hardly loads of people that it kills. Some people have mild symptoms and some don't even show symptoms at all. That's hardly worth the concerted effort it would take to use it for biological warfare.

The illness itself isn't the most problematic part, it's the disruption to society and the economic toll it's going to take.

While I don't really believe that it's a conspiracy or bio weapon or otherwise intentionally set upon the human race, I don't think it's so far fetched that it's impossible either. But it probably isn't.

it doesn't seem like it would make a good weapon for biological warfare. It doesn't do that much damage. Some people die, and I know that's awful, but it's hardly loads of people that it kills. Some people have mild symptoms and some don't even show symptoms at all. That's hardly worth the concerted effort it would take to use it for biological warfare.

The illness itself isn't the most problematic part, it's the disruption to society and the economic toll it's going to take.

While I don't really believe that it's a conspiracy or bio weapon or otherwise intentionally set upon the human race, I don't think it's so far fetched that it's impossible either. But it probably isn't.

I agree with you that the disruption isn't close to anything we have seen in a long time. How close are we towards finding a cure or vaccine, and what makes Coronavirus a bit challenging to contain?

Edited by lymmo