Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

KAYfABE Kickstarter

Gareth The Great

What do you think of the KAYfABE Kickstarter that recently started up? Supposedly they're hoping to produce a wrestling show that's told from the female perspective. It kind of sounds like another GLOW. They're seeking $400,000. I think Gail Kim, Amy Dumas, and Christy Hemme are heading things up. I used to think they weren't enough female fans of wrestling to get on board with anything like this, but there are several women on this forum who watch wrestling which has changed my perspective.

First I've heard of it. I just went and looked it up. 50% storyline, 50% action? I am all for the story behind feuds, etc. but I think 50% is a bit much. Also, my favorite wrestlers to watch are the guys, not the girls.

Haven't heard about this til now, but a 50/50 split is honestly probably more where Raw and Smackdown is these days.

Also, if you don't care about women wrestlers, you're not watching the right wrestling. I will fully admit that up til 2015, I predominantly didn't care about women's wrestling other than a few bright spots (Lita, Trish, Victoria, Molly, Melina, Natalya, Layla, Michelle McCool, Chyna, Beth Phoenix). The reason I didn't care was because, for the most part, the women weren't good wrestlers and they weren't given any good stories to work with. More often than not, they were simply eye candy. I mean the Bellas are going in the HoF now, but I remember back around Wrestlemania 25 or so, their sole purpose for being on camera was to be Snoop Dogg party-girls as he was the special guest. WWE went through a long phase of hiring models and actresses and it bit them in the ass for a long time with a pathetic women's division, but they also didn't care. That's how we wound up with people like Kelly Kelly or Candice Michelle. No disrespect to them, they worked hard, but they also wouldn't have wound up in WWE if WWE wasn't looking for that type of person.

Then I started watching NXT and that's when NXT was really building up their women's division. I saw Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, Bayley all in NXT and the amazing matches they all had. Sasha and Bayley especially, stole the show at NXT Take Over Brooklyn in 2015 and then again a month later in an ironman match. Then it was followed up by Asuka, Ember Moon, Kairi Sane, Io Shirai, Shayna Baszler, Nikki Cross, and so on.

I admit, Raw and Smackdown's women divisions mostly suck again these days. The whole thing mostly sucks though, not just the women. AEW's womens division is a work in progress, but it's still a mixed bag. Sometimes you get absolutely killer matches like Nyla Rose and Riho, but other times you get Leva Bates vs Big Swole so *shrug* (Nothing against Big Swole she's just inexperienced and coming along). I don't blame you for not caring if that's all you're seeing. Even I can't care about them like I used to. I see Sasha and Bayley doing what they've been doing basically since arriving on Raw/Smackdown and it's such a downward slide from what they're actually capable of. But that's WWE Raw and Smackdown for you. I mean we just got Aleister Black vs AJ Styles at Elimination Chamber and it was maybe a 3 star match at best, and the excitement level for a dream match like that was just not there, even in the audience.

But if you're watching NXT and still don't care about the women, then I just don't know what to tell you. NXT has an absolutely well fleshed out and established women's division that puts Raw, Smackdown, and AEW to shame. Probably most other promotions women's divisions, too. I've not watched Stardom (Japanese all women's promotion) but I'd imagine the NXT women's division is hopefully on par with that.

I'm not throwing money at a Kickstarter project, but I'm interested to see what they come up with if it does happen.

Nyla Rose and Riho

I think they're too cheesy and their personas would've played out better in the late 80s, early 90s. I think Big Swole has major potential though. I've watched Joshi on YouTube and it's interesting, but from the videos I've seen, there's no crowd. The reactions and excitement of the crowd is part of what makes wrestling fun to watch (to me anyway).

The Japanese women do come across as cheesy in their character presentation, I agree. But I think that's because of cultural differences, honestly.

To each their own, but I think they're fantastic in the ring at least.

It looks like they are far from their goal. The rewards aren't that impressive until you get to the higher pledge amounts, but that's common. I bet most backers are doing it out of respect for the organizers and to participate in something unique. You'd have bragging rights if it actually goes somewhere. It's probably a bad time to have a Kickstarter though with so many people out of work due to the coronavirus fears.

The Japanese women do come across as cheesy . . .

They throw down better too. The women in the Japanese promotions seem fearless and hit hard. Then they join a popular US promotion and that all fades away somehow.

Archived