Fan Clubs (beta)

Closing schools

Crompy

The U.S. is going crazy with the fear of COVID-19. For the first time in my lifetime, almost all schools in our state are closing for a month. Kids will still go to daycares, older kids will still probably get together and hang out with friends. They are calling this "social distancing" to help stop the spread of the virus.

Thoughts on if this will work?

I think it's an overreaction and quite ridiculous. I could understand if it was Ebola that was wrecking havoc in our countries, but not this. I worry about the children who depend on free school meals in order to get something to eat.

It's a highly highly highly contagious virus that seems to have the highest mortality/problem rates among the very old or the very young or those with compromised immune systems.

The idea is the shut things down BEFORE the infection rate is nearly everyone. That's called prevention. Better to deal with that, than wait a few weeks for everyone to get infected AND THEN shut down on top of that. If we try to control social meets now, we can slow down the spread.

That being said, yea there's a lot of people wildly overreacting and panicking. This craze on buying everything in bulk like the apocalypse is upon us is stupid. Walmarts and Sam's Clubs doing 500,000 dollars in sales every single day right now, that's how crazy some people are going.

Closing schools is wildly inconvenient, but it makes sense. Kids pass germs along real quick and easy. All it takes is 1 person randomly coming into contact with someone else who has it and boom, the school will be infected within a couple days.

I think it's an overreaction and quite ridiculous. I could understand if it was Ebola that was wrecking havoc in our countries, but not this. I worry about the children who depend on free school meals in order to get something to eat.

Our schools are still feeding kids, breakfast and lunch. They are taking buses to multiple areas in the school district and handing out food for any child under 18.

Just got notice that malls, amusement parks and bowling alleys must close tomorrow until further notice.