Fan Clubs (beta)

The popularity of gaming

didge

Sometime in 2019, Reed Hastings, the Netflix CEO, mentioned what he thought was the company's stiffest competition, and no one imagined it was going to be the video game Fortnite. The assumption was that cable television or movie theaters would feature somewhere. Do you think that instead of reaching for a TV remote, more people are now going for a game controller?

That's interesting news to hear. Gaming has become more affordable since they started up with some subscription models, much like Netflix and Spotify. Perhaps that and the pandemic are the driving forces here.

The pandemic has probably gotten more people to explore more options, and unlike in the past, you're likely to come across a gaming controller in most living rooms. It is a trend that will continue to grow in leaps and bounds.

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting news to hear. Gaming has become more affordable since they started up with some subscription models, much like Netflix and Spotify. Perhaps that and the pandemic are the driving forces here.

Yes, the pandemic has made people more aware and curious when it comes to discovering new things to do. I think the popularity of gaming will continue soaring with the subscription models making it affordable.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, melaniaaachen said:

I think Netflix creates amazing projects. I think that soon no one will be able to compete with them. And what do you think? 

I think the opposite. Netflix is finally profitable after so many years. And they're going to continue to be the top dog on the market, but now that so many others are investing in streaming options, there will be enough quality outside of Netflix as well, and they'll be able to take at least a small piece from Netflix's pie of subscribers.

• 7 months later...