Fan Clubs (beta)

Carolina Panthers 2023 Season

Disgruntled Dragon

After losing out on the Fangio sweepstakes, I didn't think landing Evero was a possibility, and it doesn't seem fair to call this a consolation prize. This was another excellent hire by the organization.

Although the staff isn't complete yet, in terms of raw coaching talent, this is the most well-rounded Carolina has ever put in place. They're taking their time with it, and getting the right guys in place. At least on paper. Time will tell if the chemistry is there, but I appreciate the approach they're taking, and I think it will pay off in the long run.

Panthers Social Media has been on point with their Frank Reich coverage, but I want to take a second to highlight an article they put out on Evero. I'll just list the list, and drop a link below if you would like to read more into it.

1. Coming from Denver - The numbers speak for themselves here. As Defensive Coordinator, his unit continued to impress all season.
  2. Super Bowl win as a Rams coach - Ever was the defensive passing game coordinator and secondary coach for the Rams 2021 Super Bowl run
  3. Worked with Dom Capers in Green Bay - That's a familiar name to many Panthers fans, as the first head coach in Panthers history.
  4. Started his NFL coaching career with Tampa Bay in 2007 as a defensive quality control coach
  5. Was born in England, but raised in California

Full Article:

https://www.panthers.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-new-defensive-coordinator-ejiro-evero

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Episode 1 was definitely a fun nostalgia trip for those who have been around since the start, but it's hard not to be excited about the potential of this team, and coaching staff. If this pans out, Carolina could be a farm team for Head Coaching candidates.

Episode 1:

• 1 month later...

Joint Practices with the Jets have concluded and tomorrow marks the first time we'll be able to get our eyes on the new-look Carolina Panthers!

What I hope to see:

1. A Wall Upfront - Carolina has made a concerted effort to build a strong Offensive Line. I'm hoping to see that investment pay off by keeping Bryce, Dalton, and Matt Corral upright for most of the evening. Some good holes for the RBs as well. I don't want us to have to get creative on 3rd and 4th and 1 in order to get that first down. Let's show we can pick up that yard when needed.
  2. A Defense that Feasts - There has been a lot of hype around the defense, especially the potential of some guys like Burns with the switch to a 3-4 Defense. I want to see Rodgers and Wilson covered in grass & dirt turf stains
  3. Good decision-making from Bryce - We all know Bryce has some insane mental processing power and a knack to improvise. What I want to see is that he's able to keep up with the speed of the NFL game. I want to see him be able to make the decision to throw it away when needed and continue to protect himself.

It's important to remember there will be growing pains as we have a Rookie QB and a New Staff, even if extremely experienced, but I haven't been this hyped for a preseason game since we played another New York team in August of 2011 (Cam's first preseason game). 

If things look great out of the gate, or concerning, remember it's preseason. Teams don't always game plan and will often try stuff they wouldn't normally do in games.  After Cam started 24 of 57 (42% Completion) with 1 TD and 0 INTs in his first preseason, there were many who thought he was the next Jamarcus Russel. He followed that up by having the most impressive start of any QB in NFL history and went on to win Offensive Rookie of the Year.

I'm to see a fundamentally sound team that's fired up. What are you hoping to see this Saturday?

• 3 months later...

The Panthers fired the head coach on Monday after a 1-10 start to the 2023 season, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported, per sources informed of the situation. 

Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor takes over as the interim head coach, per Rapoport.

The club later confirmed the move, announcing senior assistant Jim Caldwell will be a special advisor to offensive coordinator Thomas Brown, who will resume play-calling.

Source: NFL.com

These are dark days. And they may continue for a while.

In 2001, when we went 1-15, there was still hope. We had some high-potential rookies on that team like Steve Smith, Dan Morgan, and Kris Jenkins. We had the #2 pick in the draft the next season and took Julius Peppers. You could feel there was a chance that things could turn around if we got the right coach. 2 years later, we were in the Super Bowl.

In 2010, when we went 2-14 we had the #1 pick in the draft the next year and got Cam Newton. We also got Greg Olsen for a 3rd round pick that same season. We had a mix of young talent and vets like Ryan Kalil, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Jeremy Shockey, Jordan Gross, a pre-psychotic Greg Hardy, and Chris Gamble.  In 2012 we got Luke Kuechly and 2013 - 2017 ended up being a great stretch where we made the playoffs 4 of those 5 years, including our 15-1 Super Bowl run.

This year, we're 1-10, no first-round pick next season, and our last 3 first-rounders are still question marks.

• Jaycee Horn has the talent, but can he stay on the field?
  • Icky looks like he only knows how to run block, while his pass blocking is probably the worst in the NFL this season.
  • Bryce Young gets an incomplete for now.

Marty Hurney was awful drafting after the 1st round, so-so in Free Agency, and a bit too loyal to our own homegrown players. His saving grace was that he never missed on a 1st rounder. We always had talent thanks to those picks and they were the core and identity of the team for a good decade and a half.

Whoever it is that takes the reigns has their work cut out for them. Hopefully, Tepper learns he needs to put the right people in charge of football operations. Let's hope that the 3rd Head Coach hire is the charm and we pair him with the right GM so we can start to right this ship.

Hang in there, Panthers fans.

Ian Rapoport says this will be a highly coveted role

He's one of the few Insiders who actually knows what's happening on the inside, so there's no reason to discount what he says here. Like many Panther fans, I'm hoping we get Ben Johnson from the Lions. I wanted him last year and my thoughts haven't changed. That being said, I fully realize that I don't know squat about whether somebody will be a good Head Coach or not. 😅 

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:21 PM, Motorcycle Nerd said:

It feels like I haven't looked forward to a Panthers season in a FOREVERRRRRRRRRR. Bring on 2023!

Football Nfl GIF by Carolina Panthers 

.... This did not age well.

beach fail GIF by UW-Milwaukee