Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Do you only go to a British wrestling event if an american is on the card

Guest Adam Sibley

Guest Adam Sibley

I know a lot of people who will only go to uk shows if there is a well known american wrestler on the card regardless whether its all star, twa, fwa etc. I was just wondering if anybody on the forum does likewise or knows of people that do.

Then when some people I know go to these shows and a well known american doesnt turn up they say all of it was crap just becuase an american didn't turn up.

Do you think having a Americans on UK shows is beneficial to the scene? We used Juvi and Hamrick in Portsmouth on the breakout tour and I was all behind it as both guys worked hard to get the guys they were fighting over to and were very professional.

People argue that using Americans increases ticket sales which in a lot of cases is true but do you think using American talent to headline shows make it seem as if the uk guys are substandard and do UK promotions really want the fans if they only come to see the americans and not their own wrestlers and show (storylines, angles, etc.)

just a point I thought I would raise.

Guest Goldy
I think it does help to have an American star on the show just to pull in more casual fans. Personally i would go if they were there or not, as i love to watch the British workers. I find that alot of fans go to watch the American stars and come back talking about the UK talent anyway, as they don't expect to be impressed by them. So thats good. I also think the UK workers tend to raise there game when they are facing the indy talent and of course it's always good to be able to say you've seen the likes of Low Ki etc live. To answer the question i would go regardless, but i doubt theres many like me. :)

Guest Adam Sibley

We already knew you were one of a kind Goldy :)

I like you would go to a UK show regardless of any americans being billed or not to be on the show but I know most of my friends only go to see the americans no matter what they try and tell me otherwise.

Guest therock88

Its either ot for me as well, although back in feb last year whenthe who Revival show was taking place along with the talksport show, it was the biggest night in BRITISH Wrestling. So wy were there americans on the show if it was the biggest night of British wrestling.

They do bring something different tot he shows, but if they were not there it would make no real difference to wether i would attend, as i would regardless.

Guest Jaffa

I go to the shows to see the UK guys. The Americans are just a bonus. I wouldn't just not go because there were no Americans. To be honest I actually prefer the UK stars.

Its nice to have a mix. It is pretty cool meeting people like Low Ki, Chris Daniels and Juvi.

I just like good wrestling....it dosen't matter who :xyx

Guest Popsi
living in Wales to be honest wrestling is so scarce around here that i jumped at the chance to see the FWA when they came to Newport. i didnt go cos of the Americans that were there i went because i wanted to see British wrestling and i was really glad i did go.

Guest kid banzai

If it's wrestling, I'm happy. Americans or not, if someone is promoting on my doorstep (which rarely happens) then I'll more than likely go along.

After all, it doesn't say much for the UK talent if nobody's turning up to see them.

Guest RazorRoss
All the shows I've been to (bearing in mind I've only been to the 3 FWA shows) have had American talent on, so as of yet I haven't ever been to a show without........but I'm sure if a show that had the likes of Williams, Barker, Tighe, Fleisch, Zebra and Storm on the card but no Americans I would go.

Guest TsuMirren

I'll add a twist to it then...

Let's say, would you go to a UK show if some of the UK workers had worked on American shows?

For example, FWA fans have The Zebra Kid, Johnny Storm, Fleisch, Doug Williams, The UK Pitbulls and James Tighe. Even fans of my own Scottish Championship Wrestling can see Conscience, Majik, Karl Harker and Paul Parisio who've all been Stateside with varying degrees of success...plus three guys who trained in Canada.

Now, this at least shows these guys can "hang" with the Americans...which was never actually much of a worry in the UK until more recently...

I think the actual question really should be, are you wrestling fans or not?

My view...and call it ott if you like...is that if fans don't want to watch UK wrestling unless there's a few Americans involved, then they should shut the hell up about it. These people talk about name value etc, yet how are workers going to become names if people can't be bothered going along to actually watch.

I'll take Draven's comment about Eddie Guerrero as an example...

The FWA guys have trained, have years of experience and put their body on the line week in and week out...whether that be in training, for the FWA, for All Star, for TWA or for whomever. Yet Draven only watched the show because a reformed drug addict was on it.

Yeah I did, and I'm not afraid to admit it, simply because I had the same opinion of british wrestling that most people had.. of the fat men in tights. The WWE I grew up on was full of big fitness specimins and then later, the smaller guys of 1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac, Hardys, Eddie, etc. So when I heard Eddie was on the show, I became slightly interested, mainly to see how the guy was doing after being released. But see, Eddie did the world of good for that show. Not only did I get to see him (and he looked damned good IMO) but I got to shake off the old school view and see guys who wouldn't look out of place on the US Indy circuit. True, on the whole I wasn't overly impressed, but it was still a giant leap in my view, and also helped UK wrestling on a whole.

See, as much as you'd like to tear me apart and eventually come to the conclusion that I'm a Ribena swiggin', 15 year old non-fan who should stick to reading Meltzer every Friday, the fact is, if it wasn't for that extra interest, I'd never have been proven wrong, and contrary to popular belief (well, your belief anyway), I was damn glad I was proven wrong. And I think you'll find I'm not exactly fully alone.

Guest jambo
As a few other people have said, i will go to any show around my area as they don't often come to Dundee or really the east coast. So if Americans are on the show i just count it as an added bonus