Guest the_orton_mark

Was Vince McMahon Right?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Was Vince McMahon Right?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he agreed that Bret didnt have to drop the belt in Canada. Bret had no problem losing in the US. Vince just got paranoid and discraced himself, the Hart family and everyone who was in the know about this.

Lucky for Vince that it helped to springboard the evil Mr McMahon character!

Guest The Beltster

I was a work, so I cant answer legit. Sadly, Goldberg kicked Hart's head off, before he could return to the WWF and give us the big payoff to the angle.

Kayfabe mode, yes, Vince was right. Bret should have dropped the belt instead of using piss poor excuses like "I will drop it, but not in Canada!" They werent in Alberta!!! Thats like JBL refusing to drop the WWE title in the USA! He also was on his way out of the company, and should have put HBK over for the gold, not want to make some sissy speech and not drop the belt. Everybody who has ever left the WWF has put somebody over on their way out, Bret seems to think he could be the exception.

Bret had a multi-million dollar contract waiting, who cares if he loses the WWF title, that was his past, he had a future in WCW to look forward to. He was being difficult because he didnt like HBK. Sorry, doesnt work that way, you do as the boss tells you and thats the end of it.

Plus, creatively, Vince DEFINATELY did the right thing, as that act alone started the Mr. McMahon gimmick which helped propel wrestling into orbit.

I was waiting for that Belty! :)

You contradict yourself by saying Bret was going to drop the belt in the US, then saying Bret thought he could be an exception! Remember Brets contract allowed him creative control in his final month to avoid being jobbed out and his value deminished.

Guest The Beltster
I hear the Mass Transit incident was a work too.

And how about that incredible work of Owen's fall?

Is there any need to be a ***** about it? Bret vs Vince, IMO (and the opinion of MANY others) was a work, just because you dont agree, doesnt really give you the right to an arrogant git about it, does it?

Guest Gooneronastick
I don't think it was a work. I think Vince panicked about Bret not dropping the title like he promised and made a stupid decision at the time. BUT I do think that he did what he thought he had to do to stop Bret taking the title to WCW and dropping it into a rubbish bin (allegedly). So in his eyes, it was the right thing to do. Stupid but right.

Guest The Beltster
I was waiting for that Belty! :)

You contradict yourself by saying Bret was going to drop the belt in the US, then saying Bret thought he could be an exception! Remember Brets contract allowed him creative control in his final month to avoid being jobbed out and his value deminished.

No contradiction there. I said Bret refused to drop the belt in Canada, and that it would be like JBL (or any other American wrestling) to say "I'm not dropping this belt in any state in the USA!" I then said Bret wouldnt drop the belt in his final match, and put somebody over on his way out, which makes him think he is the exception to the rule.

HBK was the man chosen to take the title, he shuld have layed down. And it wouldnt have been him getting jobbed out. One pinfall loss to a man on his level in status within the industry, isnt being jobbed out, and it certainly wouldnt have diminished his value, cos that loss to HBK would have been forgotten when he made his huge WCW debut and beat Ric Flair etc.

Not that it matters, because it was a well orchistrated work. Like I said, shame we didnt get the payoff. Thanks Bill.

I would LOVE to know how it was a work, so if you have some spare time, do enlighten us.

I hardly think I was being arrogant, just sarcastic in the extreme. I have no doubts it was completely real, as neither party had anything to benefit by being involved in an angle based around it.

Guest The Beltster
Belty you are the ONLY person i have EVER heard of that thinks the Montreal job was a work. I think that it is just insane!

Then you obviously dont speak with enough people, and only stick to reading TWO. Plus, it happened when you were what? 6 yrs old? LOL I believe everything in wrestling was true when I was 6, too.

Explain why its insane, and I'll have an answer for every point you make, and on top, I'll explain why its very plausable, and IMO, probable.

No contradiction there. I said Bret refused to drop the belt in Canada' date=' and that it would be like JBL (or any other American wrestling) to say "I'm not dropping this belt in any state in the USA!" I then said Bret wouldnt drop the belt in his final match, and put somebody over on his way out, which makes him think he is the exception to the rule.[/quote']

But Bret had more matches left to do, I belive it was a full month left before his contract ran out. So yes, he would still have lost like he said he would.

It was absolutely the right thing to do. Why did Bret have to be such a stuck up swine about it. He wasnt going to lose overness and credibility just by losing in Canada ONCE. Chris Jericho doesnt go along to Vince and say Im not ever jobbing in Canada ever again, or New York. Paul London doesnt exactly say he wont job in America. What does it matter where you do the job

There was too much risk in leavin the belt on Hart and when Hart wouldnt play ball, they had to find other means. Again i love that linke when Bret says he'll put hBK over and HBK says thats fine but he isnt willing to do the same for bret. Brilliance. Basically i agree whole heartidly that Bret screwed Bret and he should have just agreed to lose the belt in the first place.

Guest The Beltster
But Bret had more matches left to do' date=' I belive it was a full month left before his contract ran out. So yes, he would still have lost [i']like he said he would[/i].

But he refused to lose to the man his boss asked him to lose to and used the lame excuse he wouldnt lose in Canada. So, he had creative control, right? Then why didnt he sue Vince and the WWF after they obviously breached that legal contract stipulation?

I'll tell you why, because it was a work.

Guest The Beltster
Or becouse Vince still had Owen under contract and Bret didnt want to see his brothers career destroyed by a pissed off Vince?

Oh, and a nice link to Meltzers take on the entire thing:

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwemontreal.htm

Bret Hart wasnt worried about Owens career, Bret only cares about himself, that much has always been obvious. If he cared so much for Owens career, why wouldnt be put him over for the WWF title in 1994? Even for a week or a month? He could have went to Vince and said "Let me and Owen play hot potato with the belt for a few weeks!" But there is no chance that would ever happen, cos Bret really thinks he is some kind of great legend, the best of all time, the man lives his gimmick. He wouldnt have worried about Owen, he would have sued. He didnt sue because it was an angle. Thats my opinion, and when I have time to write it all out in full, I will. I'm sure even if people see my legit good points, they will deny and refute it, and thats fine, but you will see its not just some stupid idea I thought up one day.

Beltmark, seriously man, you seem like an intelligent person, so I just don't understand it... why the HELL do you think it was a work?

Man, 8 years later, and there is still not a shred of evidence towards it being a work... I mean, what, are you just claiming it to seem like a clever smark or what... it defies logic to claim it was a work, considering everything we know since then.

Unless your post is a work to swerve us all or something, I dunno. Maybe you hate Bret or something, I dunno. Either way, for the love of God, open your eyes man. To claim it was a work is more insane than Ed's past claims that HHH could do no wrong.

Guest The Beltster
Beltmark, seriously man, you seem like an intelligent person, so I just don't understand it... why the HELL do you think it was a work?

Man, 8 years later, and there is still not a shred of evidence towards it being a work... I mean, what, are you just claiming it to seem like a clever smark or what... it defies logic to claim it was a work, considering everything we know since then.

Unless your post is a work to swerve us all or something, I dunno. Maybe you hate Bret or something, I dunno. Either way, for the love of God, open your eyes man. To claim it was a work is more insane than Ed's past claims that HHH could do no wrong.

Like I said, when time permits, I shall write down all my 'proof' and people are free to then make their own minds up once more, argue with me etc, whatever they choose. I wouldnt have it any other way, and I also wouldnt say anything I didnt believe were the truth, or to insult other peoples intelligence.

You told me to open my eyes, I tell you, open you're mind.

Guest MartynJ
ive just watched the match, and in my opion that was a bad ass screw job, bret was well pissed off, even hbk looked shocked and was straight out of there i dont know but it looked real to me

Guest The Beltster
ive just watched the match' date=' and in my opion that was a bad ass screw job, bret was well pissed off, even hbk looked shocked and was straight out of there i dont know but it looked real to me[/quote']

HBK looked shocked, and we all know he knew about it due to his own admission. More proof that you can work people if you want to. I will write it all out in the next few days...thos whole thing was a well laid out plan that never reached its conclusion.